Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2001, 10:32 PM   #21
Comic Book Guy 2001

Re: Shelob And Spiders

I read somewhere that the balrog looked like John Howes drawing of the balrog, which is not suprising seeing as Howe works on the movie. His picture of the Balrog versus Gandalf looks well, look for yourself at tolkien online
www2.tolkienonline.com/ga...cfm?ID=294
Old 06-14-2001, 02:24 PM   #22
webwizard333

Its going to have wings!!! those insane tolkien purists will love this one (i met some at a site and they can be a little errr ... how to put this nicely...obsessed) they were all argueing about balrogs and wings so i just left. i say let people read and interpret the story as they want.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:07 PM   #23
Darth Tater

Of course, let me call them stoopid if they insist the wings are just a shadow, since a couple paragraphs later it clearly states the balrog has wings (yes, i know, here we go again)
Old 06-14-2001, 07:33 PM   #24
Inoldonil

It is indeed insane there's any dispute.

I know what the Balrog of Moria looked like. It was a great dark man shape when they saw it, in the midst of a great 'shadow' (darkness). When it leaped across the fiery chasm it caught fire, and flame went about its dark body, fire came from its nostrils, and fire it had for a mane. It was then that they noticed the fiery sword and the many thonged whip. When it got to the bridge, Gandalf told it the Flame of Udun would be no match for the Flame of Anor, Gandalf's Secret Fire. Then the fire in it 'seemed to die', but the shadow grew. The 'shadow' or emanating darkness reached out like two vast wings (later they are called wings, 'and its wings were spread from wall to wall').

That's what it looked like. Whether it had wings is semantics. If it looks like wings, are they wings? YES! As Michael Martinez has pointed out, little girls who dress up like pixies for Halloween have wings on their back. They may be plastic, but we still call them wings. Similarly, you can't say 'they weren't wings, they were shadows that looked like wings!'. If you want to get that technical then they weren't shadows either, for shadows are caused by light, it was an emanating darkness. But Tolkien obviously considered them both shadows and wings.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:30 PM   #25
Darth Tater

Oh God! What have I done! I've created a monster!
Old 06-17-2001, 08:15 AM   #26
Idril Celebrindal

:lol:
I've long since given up on this argument. My opinion is they had wings, but hey, everyone thinks different things and there's no way to settle it, so... move on, guys!
Old 07-10-2001, 06:25 PM   #27
ladyisme

Just to change the monster being discussed yet again, I would like to know if the dark riders will as creepy in the movie as in the books.

"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
Old 07-10-2001, 10:03 PM   #28
Comic Book Guy 2001

Probally, doubt if they will top the bbc radio versions black riders. Gave me nightmares for days that did.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:07 PM   #29
Inoldonil

Probably. I heard at a private screening someone actually screamed when they came on screen.

Peter Jackson knows how to make suspense, he knows his horror. I mean look at the new trailer, one (esp. if you see it in the theatre) walks away with the impression it's a very scary movie. Gandalf positively barges into Bag End and looks wildly at Frodo: 'IS IT SAFE?! TELL ME IT'S SAFE!'

Frodo looks queerly at G. with wide eyes, 'Noone knows it's here -- do they --- Gandalf?' Following which a clip of black hooves knocking someone's door down and riding in is shown. [Frodo's door, I guess, at Crickhollow]

My dad saw it in the theatre. He's a Tolkien fan too. He said it seems they're especially stressing the scarier points. He thinks it should have been more like the Harry Potter trailer, there should be fear, but you should also be left with a sense of awe and wonder, and that's not there. You're sure it's about a weak, poor little man that gets chased hauntingly across the world by demons. It'll be scary and I'd say the Nazgûl are no exception.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:26 AM   #30
SauronDL

You are absolutely right, I saw the clip when I saw Tomb Raider. Personally, I think they should have included more of the discuss at the start between Gandalf and Frodo about the Ring, perhaps up until they discover Sam. Then add some other little bits, like a fly-by over Mordor. That would really turn me on.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:57 PM   #31
Darth Tater

I've been dissapointed with what we've seen of the nazgul so far, especially uncloaked.

That was the "horror" trailer. they're doing a number of trailers to appeal to different groups of ppl