Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2002, 05:56 PM   #21
TinuvielChild
Padawan

hey Arathorn, have you looked at your status marking recently?? i think it is rather appropriate, but i don't think you "mangle" them.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:02 PM   #22
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yeah. Thanks Hobbit!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 04:32 PM   #23
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

I've read the Hobbit, FOTR, TTT, ROTK , the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales in that order. At the moment I'm wondering how I should continue, the Letters? HoMe? and HoMe in the order of publishing? What's the best course of action?
Old 04-03-2002, 11:35 PM   #24
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I wouldn't really know, Earniel, but I think it's okay to read the hoME books in any order. I'm planning on reading them as I get them from the library, whatever order.

My 999th post!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:50 PM   #25
Daughter of Elros

I read half of the Hobbit (my chorus teacher stole it from me about halfway through, so I had to stop. I finally bought another copy 3 days later- I couldn't wait any longer to finish) then I read FotR, TTT, RotK, and am currently reading the Silmarillion, Middle Earth from A-Z, and a Tolkien Companion I plan (in the near future) also read Unfinished Tales, the Tolkien Reader, Tales of Midddle Earth, and the Tolkien Beastiary- if any one knows of anything else written about Middle Earth, let me know!
Daughter of Elros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:40 PM   #26
Elf Girl
Lurker

Don't let them read the Silmarillion first! It completely gives away the ending of LotR!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:34 PM   #27
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I'm in a quandery over whether it's better to read the Hobbit first. I have a vague membory of picing up the Hobbit at the library, reading the first chapter and going 'huh?' and putting it down. And when I tried to get one of my friends to read Tolkien I loaned her the hobbit, she read the first chapter and nearly stopped (fortunately she's my friend so i was their to put her in dire peril if she gave up ).

I don't think the Hobbit is the best intro to Tolkien, it's really not representative of Middle Earth.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:42 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Let's not forget to read Unfinished Tales between the Silmarillion and HoMe.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:07 PM   #29
Elf Girl
Lurker

I read The Hobbit first, I found the plot boring but the writing was enough to keep me going.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:23 AM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I read the Hobbit initially when I was 10 and I hated it. Fortunately, when I was 14 I read LOTR (in the right order!), and loved it so much, I re-read the Hobbit, which I also loved (that time around.) Haven't read the Sil yet, or should I say, I'm in the process of reading it now, but it's quite dry reading, so I'm finding it very hard to get through.

If I had to prescribe an order to read them in, (depending on who was attempting to read them), I would say, first the LOTR, then the Hobbit, and then the Sil.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:03 AM   #31
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

Well if the Sil is anything like the Intro in FOTR, I ain't reading it! That drove me nuts, i finally decided to skip it...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #32
Eruviel Greenleaf

I finally started the Sil. Great for airplane rides, especially as they were showing Kate and Leopold (blech. ugh.) I really like the Sil, but I don't think it's the kind of book everybody would love. It's not exactly light reading. I had to keep going back and reading bits over again.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

Same here.

I would recommend Hobbit first, then LotR in order, then Sil, just as they were published.

The Silmarillion is definately a bit more difficult for us "Alices", who like conversations!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 05:26 PM   #34
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Book order

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
He said that's the order Tolkien intended for them to go in. Is he right?
I doubt that, the Sil was publised after his death. I read
Hobbit
LotR
Part of the Sil
Part of HotLotR
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:36 PM   #35
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

Well see, I'm more of a person who like stories and stuff more than a bunch of facts. So should I read the Sil or no?

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 04-19-2002, 10:59 PM   #36
Eruviel Greenleaf

I would give it a try, see if you like it. It's not like you have to finish it if you get bored, but I would definitely suggest attempting it. I'm really liking it!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-20-2002, 04:15 AM   #37
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Mmm, I would too recommend to try it at least. To me the Silmarillion didn't feel like a bunch of facts, more like a collection of short stories. They're not that much an easy read, but they do give you a lot of inside info. And if you don't read it, I think you miss out on a lot. So I'd say: "Go for it!"
Old 04-20-2002, 10:44 AM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, I would have to agree. Not reading the Silmarillion would be like reading the LotRs and leaving out TTT. If you don't read it, you will be missing a big chunck of Tolkien's work, plus, it would be much more difficult to undertake any of the books after that, such as UT and the HoMe series. Your adventure will end with LotRs. Also the Silmarillion would make LotRs a much better read next time you do it.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 11:10 AM   #39
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

Okey doke, than after I finish ROTK I will go get a copy of it!