Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2002, 02:53 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

If Tolkien was alive today he might have been insulted by Jackson's intreptation of LOTR and hated the movie.

This is actually the first I've heard of this movie - so I'd have to look into it. I can't really pass judgement on a film until I see more about it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 03:27 AM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I looked fully at their site and I didn't see any mention of Middle Earth. No place names or anything. They only say that it was inspired by LORT.

After thinking about it - I was concerned. I couldn't picture someone stumping around in Tolkien's history of Middle Earth. I know that a lot of Tolkien's history is based on his notes that Christopher put together and are in some respects very incomplete, but to have someone else change the history of Middle Earth would have been wrong.
I'll still have to reserve my final thoughts on the movie until I see more. I will, however, be keeping my eye out for it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:30 PM   #23
Evenstar_Elfstone
Sapling

WHAT???????????????????????? THEY WERE GOING TO DO A MOVIE ABOUT ARAGORNS LIFE BUT TOLKIEN ENTERPRISE STEPPED IN???????????????? HOW COULD THEY???????? THAT WOULD HAVE PROBABLY RIVALED LOTR!!!!!!!!! I'M SUING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEM F***N SONS OF A B***H! D**N THEM!!!!!!!!!!!! D****T D****T D****T D****T D****T D****T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Evenstar_Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 11:16 PM   #24
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
WHAT???????????????????????? THEY WERE GOING TO DO A MOVIE ABOUT ARAGORNS LIFE BUT TOLKIEN ENTERPRISE STEPPED IN???????????????? HOW COULD THEY???????? THAT WOULD HAVE PROBABLY RIVALED LOTR!!!!!!!!! I'M SUING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEM F***N SONS OF A B***H! D**N THEM!!!!!!!!!!!! D****T D****T D****T D****T D****T D****T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
someone must like a spicy internet sauce.

either that or their just very very .. er... perturbed

i'll have to look into the site, but to tell everyone the truth, the only fansay that i like is LOTR, i really like reading non fantasical sotires and other things. that is why im so fascinated by lotr, it's the only thing like it's kind that well likeable to be. so sadly to say, if it does turn out to be a LOTR or D&D ish film, i will have no desire to see it. one, i fear i will lose interest inLOTR, two, given the above mottled information, there is a 94% chance that i won't like it anyways.

EDIT: I WILL NOT BE SEEING THIS MOVIE. I WILL DIE BEFORE I DO!

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 08-11-2002 at 11:40 PM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:01 PM   #25
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Anyone know when it's supposed to come out? I've never heard of this movie before, but it certainly looks interesting and I want to see it.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:02 PM   #26
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel

EDIT: I WILL NOT BE SEEING THIS MOVIE. I WILL DIE BEFORE I DO!
I really don't see what the big deal is. It's based in Middle-earth, but it isn't a "re-write of it's original history". It's simply a tale placed in his world, minus all his original characters and place names. It has the basic races: human, elf, dwarf, etc. and besides that the whole "in Middle-earth" thing - which is as far as I'm concerned, the only actual Tolkien name they left alone. That's all they adapted in the final version from him - so where's the sacrilege at?

So what, is was originally meant to be Elessar's life. It isn't now, is it? There really isn't much you can complain about.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 01:19 PM   #27
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

This part, though subtle and sad, gave me a laugh.

Quote:
Ancanar is an original story.
No, not entirely original, if you don't mind *snort*

Nevertheless, you will NOT see me going to this movie. Not if you payed me a million dollars, no sir.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 03:33 PM   #28
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Claenoic
This part, though subtle and sad, gave me a laugh.

No, not entirely original, if you don't mind *snort*
Perhaps not entirely original, but close enough, eh?

Quote:

Nevertheless, you will NOT see me going to this movie. Not if you payed me a million dollars, no sir.
Pray tell, why not?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-13-2002, 03:56 PM   #29
Sween
im quite stupid

You see the problem with tolkiens works is he was just so darn good. I mean the guys come up with some great ideas for movies with epic battles and elves and s***.

Why can we not make movies based in middle earth that are not directally related to tolkiens work? Not all world war 2 movies have anything to do with what acctually happened in world war 2 but they make good movies all the time. i for one have an appitete for middle earth i much prefer epic armys armed with swords and bows going into combat against the forces of evils its good stuff.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:53 AM   #30
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Well, I have nothing really original to say. I don't really like the idea of a Middle-Earth based movie if it's not actually based on one of Tolkien's books. I didn't even like the idea of FotR because I was afraid that they would kill it. (As a matter of fact, the whole Arwen thing was about enough to kill me, but that's another story.) I mean, I was happy when I saw it, but, for me, making a story in Middle-Earth that Tolkien never wrote down just doesn't seem... right... I don't know... I just don't like the idea.

Last edited by Rûdhaglarien : 08-14-2002 at 01:55 AM.
Rûdhaglarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:01 AM   #31
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Rûdhaglarien
Well, I have nothing really original to say. I don't really like the idea of a Middle-Earth based movie if it's not actually based on one of Tolkien's books. I didn't even like the idea of FotR because I was afraid that they would kill it. (As a matter of fact, the whole Arwen thing was about enough to kill me, but that's another story.) I mean, I was happy when I saw it, but, for me, making a story in Middle-Earth that Tolkien never wrote down just doesn't seem... right... I don't know... I just don't like the idea.
I take it you don't like fanfiction?

I don't mind it, I mean, from what I've seen of their site they aren't calling in Middle Earth, but saying that's what it's based on. Something like that; I could be wrong. Anyway.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:04 AM   #32
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

I take it you don't like fanfiction?

No, no, I do like fanfiction... it's just that, to me, making a movie makes it more... real... you know? Oh well, maybe I'm just odd....
Old 08-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #33
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Rûdhaglarien

No, no, I do like fanfiction... it's just that, to me, making a movie makes it more... real... you know? Oh well, maybe I'm just odd....
Really? That's funny, because I can't stand fanfiction on Tolkien's works, (though I don't mind Harry Potter, but that's a different story) but I don't mind the movies. Well, that's not exactly true, but, for example, I have no objection to this particular movie.

Have you looked at the website? I've been spending rather a lot of time there in the past day or so. . .it looks like they at least got the elves more accurately than PJ...lack of pointy ears. As much as I like pointy ears, Tolkien never said they have them. Er.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!

Last edited by Eruviel Greenleaf : 08-14-2002 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:36 AM   #34
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

Yes, I have been to the website, didn't stay too long though, I just didn't like the idea, like I said... so, I read a bit, then left.... Maybe I should look into it more.
Hey, never judge a book by its cover, nor a movie by its initial review. Yes, I AM odd... and proud of it.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:43 AM   #35
Eruviel Greenleaf

Believe me, you are not very odd
And you should look at the website more; it's very nice

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:47 AM   #36
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

I shall do that, yes, I shall.
Rûdhaglarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:57 AM   #37
Radagast
Elven Warrior

EDIT.

Last edited by Radagast : 08-14-2002 at 05:52 AM.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:27 PM   #38
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

My first thought was: "Ooooh the dragon." I misread Ancanar for Ancalagon. :s Wishful thinking, probably.

My second thought was: "And now the fultures come."

I'm surprised copyright allows for such a thing. I just hope they keep the middle-earth connection vague enough. We shall see.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:33 PM   #39
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

Pray tell, why not?
I can finally give a good answer to that. Here goes.

I don't like someone messing with the Tolkien Timeline. (That's what the Protectors of the Plot Continuum are there for.) I know it's supposed to be based on ME, but how closely? That just really bothers me. I mean, I lurve fanfiction (at least the right kind), but... Oh I dunno. How BASED ON is this going to get, if you take my meaning.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:02 PM   #40
Eruviel Greenleaf

It looks like they're being, in many ways, more accurate than PJ

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!