Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-07-2002, 08:26 PM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Nah, in the book Rosie did nails and had a child care business on the side.....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:27 AM   #22
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Nah..
Rosie does what all the major females...I mean...unmarried romantic interests (Arwen, Eowyn for example) do. She's officially a professional daughter doing daughterlike things up until the time she gets to graduate and become a professional wife doing wifelike things. She just doesn't get to be a royal consort, not that that's an attractive position. well, it might be to some. There's a certain prestige to it. Although doesn't Sam get to be a mayor or something? That's as close to royal consort she gets to be, in that case.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 08:05 PM   #23
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

A barmaid?
No....Rosie's got spunk and I can't picture her serving other guys beer. No, I just can't picture it at all. Sorry.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 08:12 PM   #24
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Sorry RosieCotton - Jackson did make Rosie a barmaid (not that I agree with it either). She's there wiping a mug and saying goodnight to Frodo and Sam as they leave the tavern and stagger home.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 12:56 AM   #25
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Nameless has a point. Rose could have just been MUCH worse than a Barmaid. And we dont KNOW ANYTHING about Rose just that her Maiden name is Cotton,that she is a farmers daughter, that she got married to Sam, that she had thirteen kids, and that she finally died when Sam was Ninety Nine I think it was. And there is the fact that she might have wanted to kind of help out and learn abit more abotu house making and how to buy stuff at market with the best deals and all. It could have been an extra job. And people who never read the books and dont know what Sam is like have to have it fed to them that Sam is like in LOVE. AND that would be the last time Sam saw Rose until he got back. PJ just wanted it to get across that Sam has a possible intrest in Rose and she in him(Did you notice like that look she gav ehim at the party. Her whole FACE lit up when he ran into her)
Sam
ps. I think it's kind of cute how Sam is trying to get up the courage to ask a to dance with her and how he just kind of pauses in the doorway until Frodo pushes him out the door. Very sweet.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 04:01 AM   #26
mirrille
Elven Warrior

yeah. that part was cute. i have nothing against that.
but a barmaid? for a relatively well-to-do farmer's daughter, that seems very strange to me. just shows a lack of knowledge about the culture (sort of English countryside type place, the Shire is) on the part of whoever made that decision. seems very very out of place for me.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:12 AM   #27
Varda-Me
Hobbit

In the movie, Rosie's 15 minutes (or 10 seconds) of fame isn't only when she's wiping a glass as Frodo and Sam leave for Bag End. At Bilbo's party, before all the fireworks, Frodo encourages Sam to dance with her - pushe Sam towards Rosie. They do dance together. That's her first intro.
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 03:58 AM   #28
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Yeah - I know that. Frodo says "Go on Sam, ask Rosie to dance". That's why I figured she had 5 seconds at the dance and 5 seconds wiping the mug .

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote