Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2002, 12:12 AM   #21
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The Hobbit was the first full-length book I read, at the age of 6 or 7. It made a profound impression. After that it was just inevitable - LotR, the Sil, Tolkien Reader, HoMe, and so on and on and on in a never-ending blissful journey to nirvana!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 AM   #22
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
.... After that it was just inevitable - LotR, the Sil, Tolkien Reader, HoMe, and so on and on and on in a never-ending blissful journey to nirvana!
Wait a minute, nirvana's in another all too different set of books and universe.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:58 AM   #23
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

One day last year I saw an article in the paper about a movie. A REALLY EXPENSIVE movie. The article was about Elijah Wood as Frodo in LOTR. This article cast my mind back to my school days, when I used to do research in the library, and I would walk past a set of books with really interesting, yet fantastical covers. You guessed it : LOTR!! In those days I never read many books, and if I did, it was not going to be any fanstasy novel.

But there I was reading the paper last year and suddenly I had a urge to read the books I had seen in the library so long ago. So I read LOTR, which started out slow, but ended in sudden acceleration as I had to get to the end (something like 600 pages in the last 5 days).

Anyway, after reading all the appendices at the back, I had developed an insatiable urge for all things Tolkien. I was interested and curious about all the additional names mentioned in the LOTR, how Tolkien occasionaly gave us a glimpse of an incredibly massive underlying mythology, so I went online searching for information on characters like Sauron, Gandalf, etc.

The amount of information I found was staggering - but I had to wonder, where did it all come from. After much investigation, I found out one of source was the Silmarillian, among others. Reference was also made to the Hobbit. So I undertook the mission to read these books.

After this I was satisfied. I read LOTR again in October. Now I am just trying to get me hands on some Letters and HoMe...

Last edited by Andúril : 03-06-2002 at 08:59 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:19 AM   #24
rainbow
Enting

i hate to damped your j.r.r.tolkien spirits but i have to admit that i'm only on the edge of reading it do u advise reading the hobbit first?

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 11:26 AM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbow
i hate to damped your j.r.r.tolkien spirits but i have to admit that i'm only on the edge of reading it do u advise reading the hobbit first?
I f you haven't read any of the books, then yes, start with the Hobbit.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:47 PM   #26
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Now I am just trying to get me hands on some Letters and HoMe...
If you find 'em let me know . . . I'm looking for the rest of HoME and Letters . . . and not having any luck.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:46 PM   #27
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

One day I opened my door and there stood a wizard.

OK, so I saw "Frodo Lives" on the subway walls and was curious.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:57 PM   #28
Thrain
Enting

Gimli

Hey, I'm new here. Well I first heard the Hobbit from my dad when I was like 5 I read the book myself when I was 6 then again at 8 and again at 12. Around the fourth grade I read the Lord of the Rings. I had so much fun even though it took me like 5 months. I am now collecting any books by tolkien, about tolkien, or about his books. I have got roughly 25 now.
Thrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:04 AM   #29
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

This past fall, (2001) I the teacher of my film class decided to take the class to see LotR:FotR on opening day...Since I knew the books were such classics, and after having insisted that no one see Harry Potter until reading the books, I decided to read the books first, which I had refused to look at before because of lack of female characters. (don't ask. I was a silly child) So, I started, and soon was so hooked that I became quite obsessed, as anyone could see right now. I'm going to read the Silmarillion when I'm done with LotR (2nd time) and then The Hobbit, then whatever else I can get my hands on...
BTW, Harry Potter no longer exists in my mind. Well, barely exists.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:19 AM   #30
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
BTW, Harry Potter no longer exists in my mind. Well, barely exists.
Yeah . . . you're right, HP's official status in my mind is "Some stuff . . . yeah, great books . . . LotR kicks their butt by a long shot!"

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 05:34 PM   #31
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

When i was in Y6 (three years ago)I had read all of my books at the time and was bored so my dad incourged my to read The Lord Of The Rings. He had an old copy and half of the pages were starting to fall out and i got bored with it. But about a year after i got a new set and i couldn't believe how i thought that the books were boring!

There, that is my very boring story of how i first read a tolkien book!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 08:37 PM   #32
Alethes
Enting

When I was about 7, I made a deal with my dad that I would read The Hobbit if he would read the first 3 Baby-Sitters Club books (they're short and easy to read). He read his books immediately, but The Hobbit was really boring, and I didn't want to read it. My mom told me to try reading a chapter a day; shortly after that, I read my one chapter and decided I would read "just one more chapter" that day. I kept reading just one more chapter until I finished the book. A year or two later, my dad told me about LOTR and suggested I read it, so I did, and really liked it.
-Proverbs 22:11
Alethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 05:24 AM   #33
athelas
Enting

Whew... im back. These past few weeks have been terribly busy ones. Thank God for term breaks.

Anyway, I picked up LotR when I saw a friend reading it. At that time I was desperately waiting for the fifth HP book and needed something to keep my mind off it. I bought a copy of FotR at a 2nd hand bookstore and soon I was hooked, and continued on to finish the whole thing. Soon after, I bought the Hobbit and the Silmarillion. I finished the Hobbit in 2 days, then started on the Sil., which im still reading. ( just finished the huge chapter on Turin and Nienor)
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 12:22 PM   #34
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

My first contact with Tolkien was not through any of his books but through the Bestairy (don't know if I translated that coreectly, I have the dutch print) of David Day. I must have been around 10 years old. It stood on a shelf in my parents bedroom. One day I picked it up, sat (well at first) on their bed and started reading. Since I read none of the books it all was very confusing and I remember thinking of elves as fairies (and fairy-sized dunno where I got that from) Th'is funny how much I remember of that day. I remember how the sun shone through the windows as I lay dreaming of faraway lands where the elves went. It was only about 5 years later that I started reading the Hobbit. I ran out of books that time and my mum said I should read the Hobbit. Being hooked ever since.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 03:35 AM   #35
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

I heard about LOTR from my best friend. She and I were both really into Harry potter, and that turned us on to fantasy stuff. Well anyway, I saw her reading The Hobbit at the beginning of the schol year (this year), asked her if it was good, and got an affirmative reply. She then told me about LOTR. So for my birthday, in September, I asked for The Hobbit & LOTR. By this time my friend was reading TTT. So, I started reading, and now I am 5 chapters away from being done with TTT. I plan to finish today.

Funny, just last year I saw The Hobbit on my teachers bookshelf, read the back cover, and thought, "What in the world is THAT?!"

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:24 AM   #36
Thrain
Enting

Well I was always involved with Fantasy because my dad played fantasy computer games used to sell Fantasy and he always loved Fantasy books. My dad ever since the age of three would sit up and read me the Narnia series and then we read the Hobbit. Fantasy was always part of my life and it just led into Tolkien.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:12 PM   #37
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Treebeard

Well, my Mum read the Hobbit to me when I was about 6 and I was getting really annoyed coz I could only really remember 3 parts: where William, Bert and Tom were arguing over how to cook the Dwarves; When Bagginsss ssstole the preciousss and had a game of riddleses with Gollum; and when Bilbo (invisible) had a conversation with Smaug.
Then, last July, we were in WHSmith in Cardiff and we saw the box set of the Lord of the Rings for just £10!!! I'd heard of it and wanted to read it, but Mum said I had to read the Hobbit again first, but she bought it neway. I re-read the Hobbit and began the Lord of the Rings in early September, I wanted to finish before the movie but not rush at the same time - I finished on the day the movie came out!
Then I got the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales for Christmas. I started the Silmarillion but couldn't concentrate, so now I'm reading the Lord of the Rings again an I'm using the 'You Know You Like Tolkien Too Much' thread as a suggestion list!

BTW, this my entire life story - only to those who dare to join the Entmoot have permission to read it! So there !

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:33 PM   #38
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

My dad has always loved LotR, and when he said a movie would be released in a few months, I began reading FotR.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 12:15 PM   #39
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Gandalf

The first time I read LOTR I was 12 years old. I begun with the swedish translation and naturally got hooked. A year after I read it in English for the first time. Ever since that I just loved the story and have read it repeatedly almost every year since then. I definitely like The Silmarillion as well, it being a kind of bibel of Middle-Earth.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:16 AM   #40
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

This may be the dumbest reason yet. I started reading the Hobbit in 1975 (see avatar) after someone explained the references from the Led Zepplin songs. Read LotR immediately after and looked at the world with Middle Earth glasses on ever since.

The movie rekindled my interest. I re-read the trilogy prior to seeing the movie and enjoyed it more tha the first time. Moved on to the Silmarillion and now waiting for delivery of Vol. 1 of HoME.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote