Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2002, 01:14 AM   #21
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

It's time for a coed scouts. Camping trips would be a lot more fun!

I just remember goose-stepping around the church basement. We went camping once in six months.... to a cow pasture! We had way better family camping trips.

The boy is in the cubs now and he seems to like it.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:37 AM   #22
azalea
Long lost mooter

I was in Brownies, but once I got to Junior GS, the leaders were so unorganized and provided so little guidance that I quit. I had fun in Brownies though, we did a lot of outdoors stuff and did do some camping (in tents, but the tents had wood floors -- but that was fine w/ me!). I think it depends on the leaders. Also, the Girl Scouts have updated. My sister in law is 15 and she was in it up to Cadets, after which she moved to another state and didn't continue. The girls in her troop were all friends and they did a lot of fun stuff. Too bad they can't all be like that.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:57 AM   #23
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
It's time for a coed scouts. Camping trips would be a lot more fun!
There is a Boy Scouts of America program like that, it is called the Venturing Patrols
Quote:
Venturing is a new program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 (and have completed the eighth grade) through 20 years of age.

What Is Venturing?
A detailed overview of the BSA's newest program.
Youth and Adult Awards
A variety of awards are available to Venturers and adults, from achievement awards such as the Bronze, Gold, and Silver awards to recognitions including the Venturing Leadership Award.
Starting a Crew
Organizing a Venturing crew is easy to do. Just follow these steps.
Program Support
The Venturing Division provides literature, audiovisuals, training, activities, and awards to support Venturing crews and ships.
Activities
The program of every Venturing crew revolves around a special avocation or hobby interest. What a Venturing crew does is limited only by the imagination and involvement of the adult and youth leaders and members of the crew.
What's New
Learn about recent developments in the Venturing program, including new or revised program literature, upcoming events, and other current information.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:32 PM   #24
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Sounds interesting, emplynx! Haven't heard of one in my area though...

Well, even with all the bad stuff we say about the Girl Scouts, you have to admit that there is one good thing about them: cookies. Mmm, Thin Mints...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:43 PM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, co-ed. I can fondly remember how much I LOVED boys at that age.

Uni camps on the other hand...
Old 06-16-2002, 01:56 PM   #26
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I was in the scouts once too. in the beginning it was fun, the groups were still mixed. When I got older and had to move to the girl's only scout, it started becoming dumb. They forgot me during a game in the wood (twice! ) If I hadn't known that particular piece of forest my bleached bones would probably still lie there.... Camp was boring, food was bad (we once found a used match in the spaghetti), nobody noticed I only ate 3 meals in three succesive days, and afterwards I smelled of cows, above whose sty we slept. Later they never organised anything and found it 'very interesting' to break in the school's gym hall and hang around there. Until somebody told a teacher how they got in. They never found out who squealed on them, neh neh neh. Was that why I crawled in that aweful uniform every sunday? So I quit short time after that. I was already taking saturday art school, and when I dropped the scouts my weekend became less crowded. At least there I learnt somethings usefull. I heard later from some one who had stayed in the scouts that things never really improved until waaaaaay later.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:19 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think it was originally for girls 10 to 16, but nowadays it seems to be more popular with the elementary set.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:17 PM   #28
emplynx

I'm doing my "eagle project" in the morning. It's a service project I have to organize to earn the highest rank in scouting, the Eagle badge. I'm buliding a playground for a friend's church.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:36 PM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Clamps teeth down hard on tongue, and resists urge to make a sarcastic comment....*
Old 08-22-2002, 06:41 PM   #30
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
I'm doing my "eagle project" in the morning. It's a service project I have to organize to earn the highest rank in scouting, the Eagle badge. I'm buliding a playground for a friend's church.
BoP pants may hold back but how old are you? Shouldnt you of moved on from camping in the woods with all the other boys?
Old 08-23-2002, 12:39 AM   #31
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween

BoP pants may hold back but how old are you? Shouldnt you of moved on from camping in the woods with all the other boys?
The Eagle Badge is the top level you can reach in the Boy Scouts and is a huge honor. It takes a lot to become an Eagle Scout and only a small percentage make it. Although I wasn't a boy scout - I've been to the event for others. You usually get the Eagle Badge when you're 16 or so.

Also there is nothing wrong with camping. Although I do disagree with the top organization's anti-gay feelings.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-23-2002 at 12:43 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:02 PM   #32
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ooooh! I was a Brownie, Junior and Cadet Girl Scout. I loved it. We went camping, I liked making signs along trails with sticks and stuff that you actually "read". I could have lived without all the knot tying, but it comes in handy. I remember a 20 mile hike in Germany where we rode Army trucks up to a castle in Landstule and hiked down, singing songs and stuff...it was great! The uniforms were hilarious in the sixties, but I loved wearing mine to school, the little brown dress, orange tie, little brown hat and the best was the little change purse that slid on your belt to hold your dues. The white gloves were a nice touch.
I went to Camp Dellwood every summer for two weeks and loved it cause it was much more fun than being at home. Just being away from my parents for two whole weeks was a thrill. We made plaster casts of animal prints, cooked out regularly (it was usually awful, I'll never forget those chocolate chip pancakes ) ) and slept on cots, in tents.
I was a troop leader when my daughter was in first grade. Yuck!!!! It was awful. All I ever seemed to say was "GIRLS! listen up now, Girls, GIRLS!" I finally got a whistle but quit when the year was over. Of course, no other mom would do it, so the troop folded. The girls were bummed but they cooked their own goose! The best thing we did was paint our walking sticks and make pictures with candy.

Last edited by Lizra : 08-23-2002 at 12:15 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:44 PM   #33
Sween
im quite stupid

Ftom my experience of boy scouts it breads the saddest most unattractive individuals i know
Old 08-23-2002, 09:10 PM   #34
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Now, now, we mustn't generalise, and stereotype. Just because Emplynx is someone I don't want to see breeding into the human race, doesn't mean they're all like that.

Oh, and my withering sarcasm in my previous post was referring to Emp's building skills, not boy scouts.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:14 AM   #35
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

Also there is nothing wrong with camping. Although I do disagree with the top organization's anti-gay feelings.
Thank you...*sigh*
*resists desire to make some rather nasty comments about the organization. After all, there's nothing wrong with camping*

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:58 PM   #36
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

The Eagle Badge is the top level you can reach in the Boy Scouts and is a huge honor. It takes a lot to become an Eagle Scout and only a small percentage make it.
Although I do disagree with the top organization's anti-gay feelings.
Only 2% of Boy Scouts make the Eagle.
Regarding Gays, I don't want any homosexual men sleeping next to me in the woods!!
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Oh, and my withering sarcasm in my previous post was referring to Emp's building skills, not boy scouts.
You should have said it, my building skills arn't that great. We had to take half the parts apart to correct them.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sween

I'm 16. Boy Scouts is one of the best youth programs in the world.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:56 PM   #37
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:

Only 2% of Boy Scouts make the Eagle.
Regarding Gays, I don't want any homosexual men sleeping next to me in the woods!!
The policy has caused a lot of problems here in New Jersey. Members of the Boy Scouts that had no say in the ruling have suffered. Princeton Township would not allow the Boy Scouts to shut off some parking meters so they could sell their christmas trees, nor could they be sold on township property. I think New Jersey also has laws preventing the state from dealing with organisations that discriminate - so a lot of benefits that the Bot Scouts were getting from the state ended. Of course many scouts are completely ignoring the ruling out here anyway and have spoken out against the Boy Scouts.

By the way - how do you know that you're not sleeping next to gay person when your camping out? James Dale, the New Jerseyan that brought the suit against the Boy Scouts, was an Eagle Scout. No one found out he was gay until he was 20 and an assistant scout master.

Quote:
Mr. Dale joined Scouting in 1978 at age 8, obtained more than 25 merit badges and Scouting's highest rank -- Eagle Scout -- and eventually became assistant scoutmaster.

The Boy Scouts considered him an exemplary member, the ruling said.

But in July 1990, his photograph appeared in a local newspaper identifying him as co-president of the Lesbian/Gay Alliance at Rutgers University.

Soon afterward, the Scouts sent him a letter informing him of the expulsion and saying that the Scouts' standards for leadership forbade membership to homosexuals.

In finding that the Scouts were a "public accommodation" as defined by the state's antidiscrimination law and not a "selective" private organization, Chief Justice Poritz wrote that Congress had chartered the organization, that 87 million boys and men had joined Scouting since its inception in 1910, and that churches and police and fire departments routinely sponsor local troops.

New Jersey Court Overturns Ouster of Gay Boy Scout
If his picture had never appeared in the paper - no one would have known.

Of course the Supreme Court did overturn the New Jersey court's unanimous decision.
Supreme Court says Boy Scouts can bar gay troop leaders

My point is - the ruling does absolutely nothing in preventing a gay scout leader or member - but it was a huge public relations mistake in New Jersey. The Boy Scouts headquarters used to be in North Brunswick NJ - before moving to Dallas by the way.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-27-2002 at 12:00 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 12:28 PM   #38
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
I'm 16. Boy Scouts is one of the best youth programs in the world.
For you, maybe.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 09:39 AM   #39
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

For you, maybe.
ok
Old 08-31-2002, 10:20 AM   #40
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Emplynx:
I don't want any homosexual men sleeping next to me in the woods!!
Why not? You need to control those rampant carnal urges of yours - or else you gonna get expelled from your Boy Scout brotherhood.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote