Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2002, 02:26 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Canadians get the GOLD

Well right does somtimes prevail in this world.

The Gold Medal has been taken from the Russian team and given to the rightful winners - the Canadians. It would eb nice if they could redo the award ceremony - but at least they have taken action and in my opinion the correct one.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 05:40 PM   #22
Darth Tater
The man

Anybody watch the mens long program? Eldridge skated to music from LOTR and one of the oriental guys, maybe the one from Australia? skated to Star Wars music. Eldridge is sertainly past his prime, but he's still a crowd pleaser. Yagudin (sp) is just perfect though. Absolutely brilliant.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #23
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

France loses again. He he

Canada as usual is good.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:05 PM   #24
mirrille
Elven Warrior

As far as I know, the Russians kept their medal. The committee just awarded an extra gold to the Canadians. Nobody got anything taken away.
Of course, that doesn't solve anything. They suspended the French judge under suspicion she gave in to "pressure", so now it looks like to me they are using her as a scapegoat. What about the people who were pressuring her? Aiii... It hardly changes anything, as far as I can see. They'll be back at their usual little intrigues come the next competition that comes up. It's so silly. Who cares what country wins? It's the skating that matters.
Anyways, I wish I could have seen Sale and Pelletier skate. I've been hearing raves about it. And raves about Yagudin too. I missed all the figure skating. Stupid midterms!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:16 PM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Actually when I had posted that - they had said that the Russians were losing the gold. Later I had heard that the Canadians had requested that the Russians be allowed to keep the medal.

Also it may bot matter which countries win - but when people give up their lives for a dream and then it is STOLEN from them by a cheating judge - it does matter.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-15-2002 at 09:17 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:31 PM   #26
Nibs
Head Hollara

Indeed, it seems as though the ill-doers are going unpunished... I can't say I have all the facts, but it's fair for the skaters, but not the whole judge business. Cheating like that, especially internationally, should not be without ramifications.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:44 PM   #27
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Timothy Goebel is so cute, but he only got third! Oh well, at least he was on the podium...

It was funny last night cuz I was on a field trip w/ my school's History club, and all the girls packed into our room to watch him skate...when that guy that went after him fell, we all cheered and clapped! We're just crazy like that.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 10:01 PM   #28
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Also it may bot matter which countries win - but when people give up their lives for a dream and then it is STOLEN from them by a cheating judge - it does matter.
Well that's just the point I was trying to make. It's not like the skaters did anything wrong, at least I don't think so. It's like the Russian guy said, "I don't have money to bribe 9 judges." , and I would be inclined to believe it, because that's likely the case. So what does that mean? The judges are getting the "incentive" from somewhere else? Who? Why? why? why? It doesn't make sense. Why should they care which country wins or loses as long as the judging is as fair as can be? Politics? That's so silly and childish. They are supposed to be judges, for heaven's sake.
sigh....
Anyways, I think both the Canadian and Russian teams were relatively classy about the whole thing. Neither side was really accusing to the other, which was good. Just the media going into a tizzy, which made it a good idea to not say too much.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:41 AM   #29
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

anyone see men's speed skating this evening? Wow, they all fell down like dominos. The guy in blue (have no clue what country, but it said he was like 14 or something) accidently pushed the first place usa guy down and they all came tumbling down. That is, the first 3 (or maybe 4) ppl came tumbling down. They all tripped over eachother. The USA guy got hurt too. Its sort of funny because Since 4 skaters were going super fast making sharp turns right next to eachother ben (bmilder) was saying "How are they doing that? Won't they knock in to eachother and fall?" (not a direct quote, but he said something like that) 1 second later, they all trip and knock into eachother and go flying. Ben jyxned (sp?) them I tell you!!

The LAST PLACE GUY (Australia), who was far far behind, got the gold medal because he was the only one who didn't fall. Too funny. The USA guy who fell would obviously have been first. He put his hand over the finish line so he got awarded the silver medal. Oh well.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:44 AM   #30
HOBBIT

and it was live too.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 02-17-2002, 12:57 AM   #31
HOBBIT

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/oly...hort_track_ap/

Wow, they are always so bunched up its a wonder they don't fall all the time.

It was really all the kid from South Korea's fault.
Ok, he was 16 not 14.

Read that article if you didn't see it.

Old 02-17-2002, 03:54 AM   #32
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Yeah well...

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
France loses again. He he

Canada as usual is good.
...Australia sucks at the Winter Olympics!!! We seriously NEVER win anything!!! But we always win at the other Olympics so that is alright!!! Makes up for it a litttle!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 10:33 AM   #33
Darth Tater
The man

Wow, Tristan, I'm amazed by your understanding of the world of sports! j/k j/k
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:39 AM   #34
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The skating was hilarious. Funniest thing I've seen in a while.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #35
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I'm too scared to watch speedskating now.
The crashes are just too spectacular. It looks to me to be a very dangerous sport. Any more than 3 people on a track is just dangerous. It's just a case of luck to see who is not going to get crashed into. As I can see from that last race.