Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2002, 01:03 PM   #21
Elvellon
Elf Lord

I still believe that the tale of Beren and Luthien, and the tale of Tuor would do great movies, including the happy ending, which can easily be implied in the movies. (Tuor sails with Idhril and Voronwe to the West according to the legend of men and elves, and the tale of Luthien and Beren can easily end with them living happily to the end of their lives in the forests of Ossiriand).
On the other hand the tale of Hurin and his children is undoubtly the most developed, but also represents the most difficult to be successfully adapted to cinema.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:40 PM   #22
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

i know this is irrelevant, but the dude that played Elrond in FoTR would make a greatw Eol
Old 06-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #23
Jador
Elven Warrior

Gimli

After the success of FOTR,and the equal(or greater)success of the next two films-which is bound to come.Surely someone will come up with the money to produce another epic.
Any film of lesser scale than FOTR could not possibly do justice to The Silmarillion.
What to include?From the landing of the Noldor to the war of wrath,of course.It could be done in two films,maybe..
It has got to be done.I dont care if it takes a five years,infact the sfx will be better by then.

Could we pertition P.Jackson?
Old 06-02-2002, 10:05 PM   #24
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

But no one has the license to make movies based on the Silmarillion. The Tolkien Estate holds that license.

And if Peter Jackson gets it I will have to barf. He made a great movie and I'm sure the other will be great too, I just don't think I'd be able to take his vision of the Elder Days. After Return of the King, I don't think I'll want to see another one of his unremarkable depressing Elves again.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:16 PM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, I would be afraid for a movie of the Silmarillion to be made by anyone. I am not sure that it would live up to my expectations and that would make it a big disappointment for me. I prefer the movie of the Silmarillion to stay right where it is. In my mind.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:51 PM   #26
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

i agree with SGH.
neways..itd just turn out extremely cheezy and give the book a bad name :P
Old 06-03-2002, 06:27 AM   #27
Jador
Elven Warrior

Gimli

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
i agree with SGH.
neways..itd just turn out extremely cheezy and give the book a bad name :P
Sorry,but how do you reckon it would be cheezy?

It is bound to have less cheesy than FotR.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #28
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

just look at some of the parts in the Sil like when Turin held up his sword and "flames ran up the blade." they would show it and it end up looking cheesy. there are so many parts that they would massacre i would have a hard time reading a silmarillion again. a silmarillion movie i think could never live up to any tolkien fans view of the book. Its better just not being done.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:38 PM   #29
Jador
Elven Warrior

Gimli

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
just look at some of the parts in the Sil like when Turin held up his sword and "flames ran up the blade." they would show it and it end up looking cheesy. there are so many parts that they would massacre i would have a hard time reading a silmarillion again. a silmarillion movie i think could never live up to any tolkien fans view of the book. Its better just not being done.
Well o.k. Ill give you that,maybe some part's could look cheezy (more Dairylee than Galadriel in Fotr though?),but some bit's i.e. all of 'of Beren and Luthien'plus all the battles could be awesome.
Alright,some of it might not work but wouldn't you rather some one have a go,than never no if it could be pulled off or not? If it turned out rubbish,I wouldn't watch it either,but so what? Il would rather some one have a go.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:30 AM   #30
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, I would be afraid for a movie of the Silmarillion to be made by anyone. I am not sure that it would live up to my expectations and that would make it a big disappointment for me. I prefer the movie of the Silmarillion to stay right where it is. In my mind.
I agree completely with SGH. There are too many names in the Sil to be exposed, so the story would have to be drastically reduced. If you selected one of the tales, Beren and Luthien for instance, a great deal of dialogue would have to be written. It would be extremely disappointing.

Fear Complacency!
Old 06-17-2002, 10:51 AM   #31
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by barrelrider110

If you selected one of the tales, Beren and Luthien for instance, a great deal of dialogue would have to be written. It would be extremely disappointing.
Not necessarily, it all depends of who and how it would be done. I’ve still not seen the FotR, so I can’t say if Peter Jackson could do it, but I do believe a good director (with power enough to stand his ground) could do it.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 06-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon

Not necessarily, it all depends of who and how it would be done. I’ve still not seen the FotR, so I can’t say if Peter Jackson could do it, but I do believe a good director (with power enough to stand his ground) could do it.
Not sure about that. Although the LotRs movie was good and done well, and it's appeal seems to reach just about everyone, I am not sure that this could be accomplished with the Silmarillion. It is a far more complex piece of work then LotRs.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 01:15 PM   #33
Elvellon
Elf Lord

It certainly would never be wholly satisfying; reality (even that “reality” of movies) is never as perfect or powerful as one’s dreams. Yet, I for one would like to see some of the tales of the Silmarillion came to live on the silver screen, as long as if it was done by a good director with a love for Tolkien’s universe, and with the proper means to do it.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 06-18-2002, 08:21 AM   #34
elendili
Elven Warrior

The film would be good if it was done realisticly and they didn't cut it too badly I'd love to see the spcial effects when the valar are fighting Morgoroth with the Dunedain.

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 04:53 AM   #35
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I see this two ways. First, a well done (okay, perfectly done) movie of one of the tales from the Silmarillion, or a series of movies of the whole book, would be amazing, and I think especially the story of Beren and Luthien would be great. But I don't think it could work. To understand Beren and Luthien, you need to know all the history behind it. To do that, you would have to start at the beginning, which would take more than one film. And really, nothing is perfect, and certainly not a movie based on a book of such scale that the Silmarillion is. Though I'd love a visual representation of certain parts of the book, I don't think it could be done properly. I don't think film is at all a good media to portray a book like the Silmarillion. If someone tried to do it, they would be sure to do something wrong, or just not be able to portray it properly. And lack of a movie is perfectly fine with me; I would prefer my mental images of the book not to be ruined by a movie the way LotR was for me, as much as I liked the movie. And I would definitely not want PJ to direct a Silmarillion movie.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:49 AM   #36
elendili
Elven Warrior

Yes i agree it would probably be confusing if you hadn't read the book but the special effects would be brilliant if done with no expense spared

Andrew Marvell
Old 06-19-2002, 02:50 PM   #37
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by elendili
Yes i agree it would probably be confusing if you hadn't read the book but the special effects would be brilliant if done with no expense spared
True, it could be, visually, spectacular. The special effects, anyway.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:17 PM   #38
Elvellon
Elf Lord

It probably wouldn’t be so confusing as it may seem at first sight. The number of facts that are absolutely necessary for the telling of the Tale of Beren and Luthien is not so big as to encompass all the Silmarillion. The film could start with an epic prelude (as I’ve heard P. Jackson did) to fill in the basics (probably limiting the time span portrayed to the near past of the tale), but making a few deliberate allusions to the larger story. This could actually be a good thing; it would tantalize the audience, making them want to know more (and opening the possibility for more films) but it wouldn’t distract them of the main topic of the film.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 06-26-2002, 06:58 AM   #39
elendili
Elven Warrior

They could do several films from the book I'd especially like to see a film of Westernesse from the Akallabeth and the tale from Numeneor from the Unfinished tales

Andrew Marvell
Old 06-26-2002, 11:41 AM   #40
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by elendili
They could do several films from the book I'd especially like to see a film of Westernesse from the Akallabeth and the tale from Numeneor from the Unfinished tales
Akallabeth could be really interesting for a movie...it would be great to see the fall of Numenore and so on.

But still, NO MOVIE er, *cough*

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!