Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2003, 06:03 PM   #21
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't believe so. If they chose to stay in Middle-Earth, well, by then the time of the Elves was past, and there were few-no Elves or ships left, I believe.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:19 PM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Eärendil and Elwing both choose to be counted among the elves. Their children Elrond and Elros were given the choice too. Elros chose mankind and his children were counted amongst such and could not choose. Elrond choose elfkind and since Arwen had to choose, I guess Elladan and Elrohir would eventually have to choose too. So I suppose whether or not their children would have the choice between mortality and imortality depended on the choice of their fathers.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:25 PM   #23
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

But what if they married a human??

Last edited by Elvellyn : 02-04-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Elvellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM   #24
Gwaimir Windgem

When an Elf (Elda at least) loves and weds a Man (that's what the race is called), then often the Elf chooses mortality, i.e. Arwen, Luthien (don't know about Idril).

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-04-2003, 07:26 PM   #25
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Idril did not become mortal, Tuor became Immortal and shared the fate of the elves, I believe.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:30 PM   #26
Gwaimir Windgem

Oh, yes, silly me. I remember now.

AnyWHO, if they wed a lady of Mannish race, then most likely either they would become mortal or their wife would become immortal.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-04-2003, 09:02 PM   #27
olsonm
Elf Lord

I always thought that Elrond and Elros were both mortal until they were given the choice by the Valar. So, while Elrond chose to become immortal (within the life of the Earth), Elros chose to stay mortal. If I'm correct to think the the Peredhil were born mortal, then Elros's children only ever had mortal blood (half-elven though it may have been) and the choice was never an option for them. I'm sure someone can tell me if the half-elven were born mortal.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #28
Gwaimir Windgem

Well, If by Halfelven you mean all of them, I'm sure Arwen wasn't, since she was was around for c (I think) 3000 years when she met Aragorn.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-04-2003, 09:45 PM   #29
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Well, If by Halfelven you mean all of them
No, just the first ones before the choice. Earendil, Elwing, Elrond and Elros.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:53 PM   #30
Gwaimir Windgem

Then I don't know.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-04-2003, 09:56 PM   #31
olsonm
Elf Lord

Me either.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:31 AM   #32
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I actually think they were born as elvenkind, and then after the voyage of Earendil & Elwing, they were then given the choice. At least when I read that in the Sil, even though they didn't give mention to it, I don't think (and I read it last night, lol), I read it as them being elvenkind and then deciding which line they would want.

Here is the passage from the Sil:

Quote:
But when all was spoken, Manwë gave judgement, and he said: 'In this matter the power of doom is given to me. The peril that he ventured for love of the Two Kindreds shall not fall upon Eärendil, nor shall it fall upon Elwing his wife, who entered into peril for love of him; but they shall not walk again ever among Elves or Men in the Outer Lands. And this is my decree concerning them: to Eärendil and to Elwing, and to their sons, shall be given leave each to choose freely to which kindred their fates shall be joined, and under which kindred they shall be judged.'

Then Eärendil said to Elwing: 'Choose though, for now I am weary of the world.' And Elwing chose to be judged among the Firstborn Children of Ilúvatar, because of Lúthien; and for her sake Eärendil chose alike, though his heart was rather with the kindred of Men and the people of his father.....

....In Middle-earth dwelt also Gil-galad the High King, and with him was Elrond Half-elven, who chose, as was granted to him, to be numbered among the Eldar; but Elros his brother chose to abide with Men. And from these brethren alone has come among Men the blood of the Firstborn and a strain of the spirits divine that were before Arda; for they were the sons of Elwing, Dior's daughter, Lúthien's son, child of Thingol and Melian; and Eärendil their father was the son of Idril Celebrindal, Turgon's daughter of Gondolin.
So with that said, here is my rendition of it. I think they were born as elvenkind and then the choice was to be thus or become mortal. The reason I say this is because we know that Arwen and her brothers lived for thousands of years before any choice was made. Also, the line of Men didn't have a choice, only those born into elvenkind. So any descendents of Elros were automatically mortal, whereas the descendants of Elrond were given a choice. Which would make sense and show that those born into elvenkind had the choice to revoke their elvishness to become mortal.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 02-11-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:40 AM   #33
olsonm
Elf Lord

Just before that Mandos said; "Shall mortal Man step living upon the undying lands, and yet live?"
Old 02-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #34
Ulmo
Enting

You should not concretely say Elrohir and Elladan chose to be mortal.

Quote:
Elrond passes Over Sea. The end of his sons, Elladan and ELrohir, is not told: they delay their choice, and remain for a while.
'remain a while' seems to imply they left later on.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand:

Letter No. 153

Quote:
The view is that the Half-elven have a power of (irrevocable) choice, which may be delayed but not permanently, which kin's fate they will share. Elros chose to be a King and 'longaevus' but mortal, so all his descendants are mortal, and of a specially noble race, but with dwindling longevity: so Aragorn (who, however, has a greater life-span than his contemporaries, double, though not the original Númenórean treble, that of Men). Elrond chose to be among the Elves. His children - with a renewed Elvish strain, since their mother was CelebrÃ*an dtr. of Galadriel - have to make their choices.
There you have it.

Elrond, by choosing immortality, was still not an "elf" - his children got the choice because he married CelebrÃ*an, a full elf. This gave them a renewed Elvish strain.

Arwen married a mortal, and so did Elros; subsequently their children were mortal.

If Elladan and Elrohir married elves, their children would have the choice, presumably.

Anyway, someone said...

Quote:
I actually think they were born as elvenkind, and then after the voyage of Earendil & Elwing, they were then given the choice.
Actually, the problem never arose. Dior, Elured, and Elurin were the only other half-elves, and they were slain (relatively) early on their lives. I would guess that the Valar never thought of the problem of the half-elven fate, or perhaps they did and were waiting on Eru's decision/intervention. To my knowledge, Tolkien did not address the fate of half-elven persons prior to Elrond, Elros, and their parents.

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.

Last edited by Ulmo : 02-11-2003 at 08:31 PM.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:24 PM   #35
Ulmo
Enting

Last edited by Ulmo : 02-11-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:24 PM   #36
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Welcome to the Moot, O Lord of Waters!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ulmo
Elrond, by choosing immortality, was still not an "elf" - his children got the choice because he married CelebrÃ*an, a full elf. This gave them a renewed Elvish strain.
Good point. But what if Elrond had married another Half-Elven? Of course there were no such candidates, but this is mere speculations ... would their children have a choice?
Old 02-11-2003, 01:27 PM   #37
Ulmo
Enting

You're right - there were no other half-elven peoples.

But, hypothetically, yes, I suppose so.

Elrond's parents, Earendil and Elwing, were both half-elven, so I presume that the same would apply if Elrond and another half-elf were wed.

Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM   #38
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Elrond's parents, Earendil and Elwing, were both half-elven, so I presume that the same would apply if Elrond and another half-elf were wed.
That seem sensible enough. You're probably right.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #39
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
. Or anyway Elwing was 33% Elven, not counting Maian blood. For her father (Dior) was a Half-elf, and her mother (Nimloth) was a full-blooded Elf.
This caluculation may be altered by Luthien having been made mortal BEFORE Dior was concieved, thus having changed the nature of her Fea, but nescesaarily her genes.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:06 PM   #40
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
That's not entirely correct. Elwing wasn't half-elven, technically, although she is considered "half-elven", she actually is not. She was only a quarter mortal, as her mother Nimloth was Pure blooded Sindar, which would make Elwing five-eighths Sinda, one quarter Mortal and one eighth Maia.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote