Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2002, 09:14 PM   #21
Quazar
Hobbit

Gandalf

Obviously you-all have never played AD&D. I remember many a time standing forth in my +4 Platemail and my +4 Longsword swatting baddies like Sauron at the start of the movie, great fun to mangle many an enemy without them having a ghost of a chance to hit you back. Also the orcs subscribe to the Kung Foo method of fighting. Blak you attack first, Kyat you go second, etc.
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 09:43 PM   #22
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
So mean! The Balrog isn't hideous, nor is he evil.
He's just misunderstood.
It's his parents' fault.
Lol, yes, Elijah said something to that effect about the cave troll in a interview. He said something like, Oh, i feel so bad for that cave troll, it was confused, and probly treated poorly by the orcs. Poor little cave troll. Elijah Wood has such a cute personality...
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:37 AM   #23
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil

I think it would be extremely weak and unforgivable of Jackson to be contaminated by rubbish versions of what was essentially a Tolkien invention (yes goblins are not, but Orcs were, and indeed despite Legolas going 'goblins!' in Moria - we only ever see Orcs).
However, he's done almost as bad anyway - created a foe who simply is not worthy of respect or to be feared, which is what the film did for me. Orcs = cannon fodder, simple as that.
You know, orcs and goblins are synonymes. Read beginning of the Hobbit. It's told there.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:51 AM   #24
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Shan't, won't, can't make me.
Mainly cos I'm re-reading LotR right now

Thanks for the heads up. Will double check soon.

I presume the general idea was that in Middle Earth they were only ever known as Orcs and goblins was simply what they became known as in the future (eg I recall they are described thus in Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2?) which is actually our 'past'?

So surely Legolas saying 'goblins' could be considered a 'slip of the pen' from a historical point of view?
Old 01-22-2002, 02:18 PM   #25
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

As someone said here, you must remember that individuals of the fellowship such as Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli were 'killing machines' they were the cream of their races ( Legolas being great among the Sindar )

Also I don't thinik that the prowess of the orcs in the film were that far a cry from their counterparts in the books. However there have been mighty Orcs mentioned in Lord of the Rings. Didn't an Orc Chieftain defeat a Dwarf Lord (who's name escapes me) in single combat in an attempt on the part of the Dwarves to re-take Moria? It's in the Appendices somewhere.

I think that Orcs in great enough numbers were more than sufficient to combat men of the 3rd Age and maybe Sindar too.

However in the 1st Age Morgoth didn't 'rule Beleriand' by simply issuing Orcs out to fight the Noldor and the Edain. It says in 'Of the Return of the Noldor' in 'The Silmarillion':

"But thereafter there was peace for many years, and no open assault from Angband, for Morgoth perceived now that the Orcs unaided were no match for the Noldor; and he sought in his heart for new counsel."

Cue Glaurung, Dragons, Werewolves, Corrupted Maiar, Evil Men e.t.c
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 01-22-2002 at 03:14 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:06 PM   #26
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Azog, the Orc Cheiftan of Moria, killed Thorin's g-father Thror and desecrated his corpse, an action that precipatated the battle in which Azog killed Nain and Dain II killed Azog. Azog's son Bolg I believe died (possibly killed by Thorin) in the Battle of Five Armies (though I haven't read the Hobbit since I was little).

Just for fun, list the "name" characters killed by orcs or goblins:

Thror
Nain
Isildur
Theoden? (not sure who shot Snowmane)
Not sure about members of Thorin's party
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #27
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

...can't forget Boromir!
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 04:35 PM   #28
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I thought the way the orcs were portrayed was to slimey and wet, IMHO. I always felt they should've been looking more like gargoyles but with thick hides, almost scale like. In the movie they were always leaking body fluids and when they marched it sounded more like mud flopping. But nevertheless they were suitably evil and annoying.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:34 PM   #29
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Re: RE

Quote:
Cue Glaurung, Dragons, Werewolves, Corrupted Maiar, Evil Men e.t.c
Yes but Orcs were still his staple stocking filler so to speak.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:17 PM   #30
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Re: "list the "name" characters killed by orcs or goblins"

Obviously, orcs = goblins. I got the impression that the word "goblin" was used almost exclusively in "The Hobbit" because kids were familiar with the term. They couldn't have been great fighters, generally, because throughout the books, small numbers of our heroes could drive off much larger numbers of orcs.
Some additional orc victims:
Balin, Ori, and Oin (In Moria)
Thorin Oakenshield (most likely by goblins--the book didn't say)

King Dain, from Erebor & King Brand from Dale (I can't find confirmation that it was orcs, but pretty likely.

Elrond's wife Celebrian, although she wasn't killed by Orcs, was tortured by them, which destroyed her desire to remain in Middle-earth, so she left for the Grey Havens before her time.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:59 AM   #31
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Tolkien preffered Orcs because they didn't conjour up an image of little people with pointy hats sitting on taodstools, and what does PJ give us?...

Only joking, but they were pretty rubbish.

What happened to the Uruk-hai's S runes on their helmets?
Why weren't the orcs BLACK like they're supposed to be?
I liked the Moria orc's armour but they're supposed to have Scimitars, not vaguely pointy bits of metal!
The Mordor orcs were weak and rubbish, but you don't see much of them so that's ok as long as they're better later.
They had TOES.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 09:39 AM   #32
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I don't think it's so much that Tolkien Orcs were bad fighters as such, simply that they were incredibly cowardly. It wouldn't take much of a resistance to send them scuttling back to their caves.
In the film, they are both rubbish and cowardly
Apart from the Uruk-hai, who are just rubbish.
Apart from the leader of the Uruk-hai, who is neither.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:26 AM   #33
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Obviously.. one persons interpretaion of what an orc looks like will be different than anothers. To say, they didn't look like orcs is to say: they didn't look like my perception of the orcs. If you don't like something because it differs from how you imagined it. Then I would suggest not watching movies based on books. FOTR the movie is the interpretation of Peter Jackson. There is obviously going to be conflicts between your sperate interpretations.

The question to ask is "Did they look like a possible rendition of the orcs?" They very much did. Whether they fit your opinions of the orcs appearances is immaterial to whether or not they were "rubbish".
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:37 AM   #34
Gerbil
Elf Lord

To whom was that reply aimed?
If it was to me then I think you've missed my point.
It's not how they look that bothers me, it's how they act.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:37 PM   #35
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Agburanar, Tolkien said that Orcs are generally sallow. It seems to be simply the Uruks that were swarthy.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:28 PM   #36
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

You said they were "cowardly and rubbish" "cowardly" seemingly refers to their actions and "rubbish" to their appearances and general behavior.

I cannot think of any part of LOTR that suggest the orcs have any defined "general behavior". The lack of such makes it just as much an interpretation problem as appearance

If you indeed mean their actions tell me where in the book they act differently than the orcs as portrayed in the movie. It will then be easier to see if Tolkien's orcs and Jackson's orcs are the same creatures.

Quote:
To whom was that reply aimed?
It wasn't aimed persay, it was simply meant to be assimilated into the discussion not as an attack but as a thought to consider. I most certainly did not mean to attack you gerbil.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:40 PM   #37
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Orcs in Middle Earth are certainly more of a risk than the 'run into a held-out arrow' kind of way they are portrayed in the film.

Simply put, in the film they are not a danger, except possibly to themselves, since chances are every time they go to scratch their eyes they poke them out having forgotten they are holding a sword.

In the film, they are VERY weak. In the books, they aren't anything too hot generally, but they are certainly a bit more clued up generally. Apart from being cowards, which is true throughout.

They simply don't know how to fight in the film. Apart from leader of the Uruk-hais. Which is not how Tolkien envisaged them.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:55 PM   #38
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

I believe legolas stabbed the orc that charged him, he didnt just run into it. The second paragraph of your post is obviously an exaggeration and you have yet to give me a reason the orcs are different than the books portrayal.

They are not that powerful in the book, you have stated that. If they were powerful in the book the party would have no chance whatsoever.

Is their a circumstance in the book or the movie that shows the orcs to be significantly stronger or weaker respectively?

Last edited by CardenIAntauraNauco : 01-23-2002 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:35 PM   #39
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I'm curious to know how the people who don't like the way orcs' ability as warriors, etc, was depicted in the film would shoot the same scenes.

In the books, the good guys were attacked by overwhelming numbers of orcs many times without getting killed. In reality, could a little guy with an axe or a tall nature-boy with a bow and arrow defend himself for long against large numbers of disciplined fighters? Nope!!

I always got the impression from the books that the orcs were an undisciplined, disunified and unruly bunch whose main goal in life was to save their own skins. They fought those battles rather than incur the wrath of Sauron or Saruman. The Uruk-hai may have been much better fighters, but how many did Boromir kill before they finally killed him?

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 09:06 PM   #40
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I'm sure if someone payed me a million dollars to come up with a screenplay of the fights, I could do a decent job.

I'm sorry, but however you look at it, running into a held out arrow does not rate as 'fighting ability' at all.