Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2002, 05:53 PM   #21
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Around 10 for lotr, read the Hobbit once, and the first couple of chapters of the Sil (then the library started yelling at me to give it back ).
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 09:52 PM   #22
sepulchrave
Enting

thanks for the welcome, bropous, it is good to return to middle earth after so long away. I haven't been computer-savvy for long, and had no idea that there was the volume of Tolkien related material on the web that there is. It is perhaps a mixed blessing that the movie has created so much interest, or are these forums always this busy? either way, it is a fine thing to see all these people,from different backgrounds, all sharing their love for a great and noble work. I haven't read it in about seven years or so, but recently watched the screen adaptation. (mixed feelings...could have been a lot worse, and some bits were excellent). I can see it's time to start the book again. I can't wait! oh by the way how does one add the smilies?
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:10 PM   #23
sbpollo1
Sapling

Since 1967, I've lost count. But I also pick up new details each time. My 7th grade Biology teacher introduced me. Not only for this lifelong tale, but for her influence on my future career, I am forever grateful.
sbpollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 04:42 PM   #24
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

i remember i was working a summer job as a receptionist at a very small parish office for the local catholic church -- an exceedingly dull and drowsy job with very few phone calls and no one 'dropping' in to see the priests -- one of my friends from college had given me a dogeared paperback of the FOTR & i thought to amuse myself through the long, sultry afternoons with it.

one look at the maps, & i was captured! and as the story unfolded there was such a thrilling resonance to some lurking archetype i could barely contain my wonder and joy!!

sigh . . . & it still thrills me each time i travel through the story again - it's so rich, so many layers . . .

btw, if you are at all interested in a comprehensive mapping of middle earth, the batlles, the ringbearer journey, take a look at: THE ATLAS OF MIDDLE EARTH by Karen Fonstad. it's every map-loving hobbit's dream book!

Last edited by Vardasoroniel : 01-15-2002 at 04:44 PM.
Vardasoroniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:20 PM   #25
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

I have read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings about five times, twice in the last year. I read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales once.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:34 PM   #26
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot from a fellow [native] Louisianian, Mark of Cenla, and if you're cajun too, a very special welcome...

I agree with you, Vardasoronial, one look at the LotR maps and I was lured in...they were so much more interesting than the Hobbit maps, and understandably so. Same for the Silmarillion maps, one look and I HAD to read the book!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:02 PM   #27
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I stopped trying to figure it out after twenty-something.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:04 AM   #28
Barlomur
Sapling

On my first tour
TTT P:171 The road to Isengard
Barlomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:13 AM   #29
Biscuit
Sapling

Hello

Hi everyone,
I can't remember how many times I've read it. To be honest sometimes I put off reading it again because it's such an emotional journey. I remember parts of the book and think I wouldn't like to go through that again, but then if it wasn't like that I might not like it as much. Once I start reading it though I'm likely to try bite the hand off anyone who tries to take it away from me.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:31 AM   #30
Gildor
Hobbit

How many times

Nine--Once in High School--once every five years or so and twice this year--once before the movie and once after. It gets better every time. More than ever I'm noticing the melody of his language. A triumph for me this year was that I finally got my daughter to read it...been trying for years to tell her how good it was, but no...she was stuck on Conan Doyle, Terry Pratchitt, Alistair MacClean, Helen McInnes, Heyer, Stewart etc...all great authors but...anyway, she finally read it, and her husband read it, and my younger two children read it. Now I'm working on my husband, but in this case I think I'm going to have to be content that he saw the movie...we have overwhelmed him with our collective enthusiasm and that's too much for any man.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:40 AM   #31
athelas
Enting

I've only read it once..... I picked up my FotR at a second hand bookstore, but I finished it before watching the movie...*looks around to see people who have read it 20+ times, then retreats to dark corner in shame....*
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #32
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I agree with you, Vardasoronial, one look at the LotR maps and I was lured in...they were so much more interesting than the Hobbit maps, and understandably so. Same for the Silmarillion maps, one look and I HAD to read the book!
the cartographer i mentioned earlier, karen wynn fonstad, bases her book, 'the atlas of middle earth', on the maps from the books (the hobbit, LOTR, silmarillion, unfinished tales, with some polishing up using the histories) and also on the text. the maps are quite detailed and various - including thematic, regional, detailed maps of different sections of the journey from the shire to the breaking of the fellowship, and wonderful battle maps, & one that i especially enjoyed was the journey of frodo and sam after the breaking which had specific shire dates for each day's leg of the journey.

there are also good maps of the 1st thru 3rd age, and detailed maps for TH.

this is an excellent companion book for reading tolkien's works!
Old 01-21-2002, 09:07 PM   #33
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Barlomur and Biscuit!

I'll have to check that atlas out, Vardasoroniel. I've always loved atlases and battle maps...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:29 AM   #34
sepulchrave
Enting

to Barlomur, and Athelas...
Welcome!!! It would bring me such joy to once again have the experience of reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time! Be not dismayed O Athelas, for realms of great beauty and terror await your imagination, and it is no small thing to embark on this wondrous quest! Do not quail, for each has their own tale of how they stumbled on this magnificent epic, and yours will be bound up with your memories! Read on, and grand vistas will open before you, an entire world to immerse your minds eye in....
I just bought my son his first copy, and I look forward to his reaction to this magical tale...... Enjoy!
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 04:45 PM   #35
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I am sorry if I have spelling mistakes or if I misunderstood someone because my english isnt so good .

I think that I read the LOTR about four times it all and more then 7 the parts that I like.
I read the Hobbit few times and the Silmarilions once all.
I think that the first time that you read the LOTR is the best.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 12:51 AM   #36
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Mmm, I agree with Elbereth. The first time's the best! Is there a drug that temporarily induces amnesia?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 09:24 AM   #37
Pailan
Elven Warrior

How many times? hmmm... Well, I am not sure, because I have read them so many times since 1972. But after college I really enjoyed them on a different level, especially after studying Beowulf and reading some of the Norse sagas... And I know that LotR affected me enough to become an English major even though I started university with an eye on engineering. Powerful stuff these books of Tolkien.

Since the movie came out, I have read Lotr twice and I am now heading back into the Sil.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 10:21 AM   #38
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think the more understanding you have of the sheer amount of sweat and blood tolkien gave the work the more enjoyable it is. The first time you realize the Rohirrim don't speak old English, the signifgance of a Balrog etc. It heightens the experience.
markedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:31 PM   #39
daring gaffer
Sapling

(counts on fingers college education is no guarantee for anything) let's see i've read the lord of the rings 3 times,just finished my second go at the hobbit and next in line is the revisitation of the silmarillion
cut me some slack here i'm not even 23 AND i'm in the middle of an exam series
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
daring gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:43 PM   #40
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I couldn't manage to count them all if I tried. At least 10 since December 19, 2001. I'm a really fast reader. I've read the Silmarillion 5 times, but I can't count for either the Trilogy or the Hobbit.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote