Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2002, 05:15 PM   #21
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well, obviously the dwarves don't find it unattractive. It's all a matter of culture, like here in the US, where supposedly the 'waif' look is popular.
Personally, I think overly skinny girls are unattractive, as well as myself.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:39 PM   #22
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I agree with the 'waif' look being unattractive (and for me, unattainable ).

Maybe dwarf women have long silky beards and heavenly voices, and the sight of them dancing is like the dance of leaves in the wind on a pale autumn day. We really don't know do we? Maybe dwarf men like a dwarf woman better the longer her beard is. It's all a matter of perspective.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:00 PM   #23
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

To tell you the truth, I don't think that dwarf men are romantic at all. They honor loyalty, straightforwardness, dependability, strength, etc. They do (did?) appreciate beauty (as when Gimli was awed by Galdriel--he didn't pine because he couldn't marry her), but being blunt, stumpy, stocky, ham-fisted men, with little, if any, grace, I don't think they looked for their brides to be waifs. That would be like Treebeard falling for a fern!!
To dwarves, candlelight was probably only something to help you see at night, not for setting a mood.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:11 PM   #24
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, to each their own....personally, the "zaftig" Reubenesque look activates my retrograde peristalsis with immediate efficacy....

I can see it now...Fangorn "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm hoooooommmooommmmmmmmhooommmmmm....you sure have nice fronds, Madame barumtilhadurichoolvirikuntirian Fern..."

And then: Drunken Elf: "Where the Dwarf wimmen at???"
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:19 PM   #25
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Or a sober me where the Elf women at

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:28 PM   #26
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

LOL! this whole thread cracks me up!
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:58 AM   #27
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54

Dwarves were born with beards? Is there any basis for this in the texts?
No, but the comment appeared to me to be nothing more than a joke. In fact, there is a passage which implies that Dwarves weren't considered mature until they got their beard. Take that for what it's worth.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:50 PM   #28
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
"no Man nor Elf has ever seen a beardless Dwarf–unless he were shaven in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor indeed can their womenkind be discerned by those of other race, be it in feature or in gait or in voice, nor in any wise save this: that they go not to war, and seldom save at direst need issue from their deep bowers and halls."
That is from a Pre-LOTR text from the War of the Jewels.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:51 AM   #29
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

oh geez, Comic Book Guy, THANKS for the mental images THAT quote brought forth! LOL!

Me and my all-too-fertile imagination......anyone know where the "off switch" is on this thing???
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:53 AM   #30
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives..."

What? What? O Infallible One has actually made a mistake???? Clutch the pearls! Bar the doors! The world is ending!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 PM   #31
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
"For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives..."

What? What? O Infallible One has actually made a mistake???? Clutch the pearls! Bar the doors! The world is ending!!!!!!

So much for promises.

You are a fool to start up the flames again.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:29 PM   #32
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

And I might as well point out that our scholarly fool provided a citation from an abandoned text, which was superseded by a text which deliberately omitted all reference to Dwarves being bearded from birth. But, apparently, good scholarship demands that the author's wishes be ignored and passages be quoted out of context and without attribution.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:28 PM   #33
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Martinez, you refused my apology, had not the moral courage to accept a heartfelt offer to bury the hatchet, continued for hours after I apologized most sincerely to trash me in thread after thread, and now you have the nerve to act the wounded party? All you have proven is that you are EXACTLY what I originally characterized you to be. Ibid, baby. Ibid.

Here's a little quote from Tolkien you might chew on:

"What happens when the culprit is genuinely repentant, but the sufferer is deeply resentful and withholds all 'forgiveness?...Of course, the power of mercy is only delegated and is always exercised with or without cooperation by Higher Authority. But the joys of cooperation must be lost?'" "Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 127."

Again, Martinez, I offered a sincere and blanket apology and you spat directly in my face. I turned the other cheek and you slapped that one, too. Repeatedly. Well, I stand up to you, attempted bully, and I suggest others do the same, for you have not the backbone to admit when YOU are wrong, and that is the mark of less than a man. I offered, you refused, I offered again, you insulted. "Live by the sword, die by the sword...".

I kept to my promise as long as self-respect could allow. You have shown such puerile immaturity in the face of sincere desire to build bridges you are beneath contempt, and from this point on, are not worth the energy to waste words upon. Tolkien himself would throw you to the wolves as a poser, copycat, and scholar only of bathroom stall graffitti. How 'bout you actually write a book of originality instead of standing on the back of the Master? Y'ain't got it, Martinez, you never had it, and as for "quoting discarded works", it seems your entire "book" [sic] is constructed of such "cast-offs". Pot calling the kettle black, Mikey-poo. I'd rather discuss the works of Tolkien with someone of greater mental agility, such as a retarded troll.

[continued content censored]

Sorry folks, I know this ain't the place for this sort of post, and I've set aside the standard I tried to uphold, but I won't sit by and let this pompous, self-important, plagiaristic windbag insult me in thread after thread without standing up for myself. Should he turn on you as well, as apparently he has done to many here, stand up for yourselves. You'll feel better about it.

Moderators, administrators, I go myself to the woodshed to await your just punishment. I ask for no mercy. I'll not post again on the Moot until one of you lets me know it's okay. Preserve the peace here as you see fit. I've broken the rules, and will take my just desserts. Like a Man. Let's see if Martinez has the, well, you-know-what, to take responsbility for his stoking the fires of this flame war with logs of hatred for any who disagree with him. Remember, a flame war cannot occur with only one throwing flaming darts of rhetorical attack. Takes two to tango. Being an "expert" on a TV show should not exempt him from the rules the rest of us should, rightly, follow.

Again, my apologies to the Moot. The best to all of you. I've enjoyed what I have learned from you folks. Made me appreciate Tolkien all the more. Adieu to all to await the decision of the powers that be. This is their Moot, and I broke the rules. Peace must be preserved. Bon Moot!
Old 01-16-2002, 08:39 PM   #34
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Eeek...

That was a nice flame, Broupous. I give it a 9.7!

But I hope to see you around again. If you're not going to post here anymore, feel free to visit the forums at http://mevault.ign.com. The most active ones are the General Board for all around fun stuff, and the Developers Board.... the people there make (or once made) a sport of flaming each other, and the local nazgul are really nice, and not apt to ban you however nasty you get (although you may get posts deleted).

I really do hope you can stick around here. It wouldn't do to have to have other people do brollum... we might get your brand of nailpolish wrong! And one person shouldn't be reason enough to leave (although you seem to know how dangerous it is to piss off the admins). Hope things work out.

Shame on you Micheal! Speaking not as a Tolkien Fan, but as someone who makes a hobby of nasty humour, cutting remarks, flaming, and being mean to people, you handled that in entirely the wrong way! Broupous was willing to put the whole thing behind him, and you escalated it again over something less insulting than I say to my best friends almost daily. Heck, even Morthoron (remember him?) and Braldor are nicer to each other (and others). Than you just demonstrated yourself to be.

Honestly, If I acted in the manner you have, I would long since have become unable to carry on a conversation with most of my good friends. Ask Inolondil how many times he's corrected me, or I him. I guess we're mature enough to respond with good humour.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #35
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

TO BROPOUS,

It would be a great loss to the MOOT if you are not around.
I hope that you will reconsider.

WAYFARER

I tried undating my vault thingy and it never worked.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:46 PM   #36
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i know nothing of the depicted conflict between martinez and bropous, although i believe it would be detrimental to the board if we were to lose any worthy members here.

perhaps i am biased in the favour of bropous, but as an objective hobbit reading bropous' earlier comment (yes, the pre-flame one) i should think it was the utilisation of a sense of humour, being interpreted as antagonisation derived through the lack of a sense of humour.

i think personal differences ought to be set aside here, as this board is a rare exhibition of intelligent and courtious people (everyone who's ever been on IRC will know how rare a flame free conversation can be!). i have seen people of different beliefs making friends, people of different opinions conceding to others and the youth and elders expressing intelligent and original thoughts alike.

i believe this is where i use the expression "keep it real, y'all." (i heard it on ricki lake hrm hoom)

luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:47 PM   #37
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Bropous, I'm new here, but I agree with Afro Elf and Wayfarer. Stick around--I don't see any way that you were in the wrong.
To Michael--Life's too short (or too long, depending on whether you like it or not) to harp and pick like you've been doing. Anyway, these are just BOOKS of FICION we're talking about (GREAT ones, but still make-believe). No call at all to jump down somebody's throat. Lighten up and have some fun with this stuff.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:51 PM   #38
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

Shame on you Micheal! Speaking not as a Tolkien Fan, but as someone who makes a hobby of nasty humour, cutting remarks, flaming, and being mean to people, you handled that in entirely the wrong way!
No. Shame on you for giving encouragement and support to a flaming asshole who attacks people simply because he doesn't like what they say.

No one forced Bropous to act the way he did any more than anyone forced you to support him.

And I do not accept back-handed apologies from flamers who continue to provoke me with their so-called apologies.

Those who choose to associate with and support flamers end up in all the refuse the flamers create.

I would much rather act as I have, Wayfarer, with integrity, than as you have. I suggest you quit being part of the problem here and start being part of the solution. If he can only choose between being a flaming ass and absent, Bropous is at least being part of the solution through his absence. He COULD have chosen to behave.

Last edited by Michael Martinez : 01-16-2002 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:53 PM   #39
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin92
To Michael--Life's too short (or too long, depending on whether you like it or not) to harp and pick like you've been doing.
You have much to learn about the Internet, and clearly have failed to notice this all started with Bropous. If you really insist on joining this flame war, you'll only show you are no better than he who started it.

Your choice.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:56 PM   #40
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by luinilwen
i know nothing of the depicted conflict between martinez and bropous....
All one has to do is read the messages Bropous posted to see all there is to this conflict. It will be better if those of you who feel Bropous was wronged say nothing, since I assure you I will, until I grow tired of dealing with nonsense, correct you.

Don't support flamers like Bropous, and you'll see that Entmoot quickly returns to the civil place it once was. He's an asshole, and he is only an asshole because he chose to behave that way.

The same choice lies before you. You'll notice, if you bother to read anything I actually post, that I never attack people gratuitously the way he did.

When you lie down with poisonous snakes, you cannot avoid getting bitten. If Entmoot's regular community really wants people like Bropous hanging around here, attacking other people for no reason at all, all you have to do is keep supporting them.