Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2002, 09:40 PM   #21
Alaine
Sapling

Cheapo One Ring reclipas

I'm not sure what I think about those One Ring collectibles. I do know that I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea of making replicas of something thaat is supposed to have been one of the most evil things that ever existed. I'm probably overeacting, but, that's my opnion.
Alaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 07:08 PM   #22
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Ok, I guess you guys are right. The harvard Lampoon is hilarious. But bropous picked a great place to quote that.
Anyways, my two cents on what this thread was started for is: The Ring replicas are cool. I wish that I had $40. I don't, therefore I can't buy a Ring. Oh well.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 07:44 AM   #23
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Sam Gamgee

At the Lord of the Rings Fanatic Site u can buy all 3 Elven rings 4 about $35 each and u can buy the Nazgul Witch King Ring 4 about $40.

U can buy weapon replicas aswell. Glamdring is about $300 and Sting is around $250. I can't remember how much the Morgul Blade is.

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:13 AM   #24
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Cheapo One Ring reclipas

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaine
I'm not sure what I think about those One Ring collectibles. I do know that I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea of making replicas of something thaat is supposed to have been one of the most evil things that ever existed. I'm probably overeacting, but, that's my opnion.
I had never thought about that, but it really is a good point. The rings look really cool though...

P.S. (I was homeschooled for 5 years.)
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #25
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm with Scvenn. The letters are only supposed to show in the fire anyway, so if you want a one ring (like me) any gold ring will do (as long as you don't throw it in the fire). Mine is a ten-dollar, fourteen-karat gold thing from Kmart. What're everyone else's rings like?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:28 PM   #26
emplynx

Re: Cheapo One Ring reclipas

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaine
I do know that I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea of making replicas of something thaat is supposed to have been one of the most evil things that ever existed.
I was thinking about this post while driving through town today when I thought of something similar.

The Cross. The Cross - used by the Romans to kill many many prisoners - was also used to kill Jesus. Now Christians carry it and wear it as a sign of Christianity, specifically the sacrifice Jesus made. I realize that the LotR isn't a true story (don't hit me) but the ring is a symbol of the sacrifice that Frodo made for the better of man (hobbit, elf, dwarf) kind. Could you wear a replica ring in that sence, even though it was a symbol of evil? I don't really know. I am just throwing this out for people to think about.
I posted a more indepth opinion at my LotR blog at Fool of a Took.com. Check it out http://www.foolofatook.com/LotRblog/

Last edited by emplynx : 03-10-2002 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:53 PM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Good point there emplynx. Both were instruments of evil before those critical moments. Afterwhich, they became symbols of triumph over evil.

The ring, in LOTR's case, became a symbol of Sauron's undoing from being a an instrument of his power and malice. While the cross, in christianity's case, the symbol of one person's triumph over death from being an instrument of torture and death.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-10-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:56 PM   #28
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Now what I'd like are replicas of other things...

Sceptre of Adunie, crown of Gondor, perhaps the Star of Elendil, white tree saplings, or perhaps my very own mock mithril coat.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:13 PM   #29
emplynx

I emailed the jeweler about my post here http://www.foolofatook.com/LotRblog/ and his wife (i think) respoded with
Quote:
He expressed the same feelings that the replica's of the rings are a symbol of the fellowship, the friendship, and humanity that the ring created in the journey to distroy it.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:54 AM   #30
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

Whoever it was that asked where they could get one cheap:

Mine came off of a bookmark. My parents got it for me for Christmas. the ring accidentally came off, so I put it on a chain and now I wear it all the time. It looks really cheap, but who cares? It's a ring. Oh and the bookmark's from B&N. It has the last part of the little poem (one ring to rule them all, etc.) on it.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:01 PM   #31
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good post, emplynx, regarding the Cross. Crucifixion was a hideous death, a slow suffocation, despicable but appropo to the Roman culture, a culture where cruelty was admired and where mercy was seen as a vice.

However, christians take that symbol of cruelty and return it to its original positive role, although with a different take. for Christians it symbolizes rebirth and immortality; for most older cultures the cross was a symbol of the "quartering of the universe into active and passive principles".

Fox News, BTW, showed some great clips from LotR as I was writing this.

The One Ring, also, is a perversion of an originally positive device; the ring, unending and unbeginning, is a symbol of immortality and infinity, a recognition of the vast quality of the universe around us. Some ancient "mystery cults" used the symbolism of a snake devouring its own tail to indicate the same thing.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote