Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2002, 11:35 AM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Yup, anduin, jerseydevil did sterling work in he definition of easter eggs, but I am confident you would have given just as good a definition when you got to it.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:20 PM   #22
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: some mistakes!!

Quote:
Originally posted by garrfin
Also why, when frodo and sam are talking in rivendell, is the railing only waist high to a hobbit?it should be waist high to an elf obviously.did anyone see anymore?
I have a fourm I started on that topic. It can be found here
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 11:56 PM   #23
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Re: Re: of apples and pillows

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx

I HAVE NOTICED THAT ALL 3 TIMES! It has driven me CRAZY!! Did they briing those from thier hotel!?!?!? I can't stand them!
You noticed too??? I'm firmly convinced the prop manager ran out of pillows, and they had to rob someone's linen closet.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 12:04 AM   #24
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

there are also easter eggs in a lot of programs and games....but i won't get into that seeing as how i feel sick....

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 12:32 AM   #25
anduin
Entwife

I hate those pillowcases too. The seam on them is crappy also. BTW, they are not stripey, but they do have some terrible design on them. There are some great fabrics out there that would have been so much more appropriate. Something with a silver thread running through it. Or woven completely out of silver thread.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 12:54 AM   #26
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

bropous: Thanks for confirming my sanity. It is greatly appreciated. (I really mean that too . . . )

I have to say that after seeing the movie 4 times and A Passage to Middle Earth twice I still haven't seen the car that's supposed to be in the Sam & Frodo walking scene . . .

And I have a Frodo waking up in Rivendell desktop . . . the pillows look normal and white to me, with little wavy lines that you can barely see. Looks fine and Rivendell-ish to me . . . or maybe I am just crazy after all . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:01 AM   #27
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I saw the film for the fifth time today, and went on an error hunt, and this is what I found:

1. Yes, there IS a car, with its headlights on, in the scene with Sam standing in front of the scarecrow. Upper right hand portion of the horizon, moving right-to-left.

2. Merry hands Pippin an apple, Pippin is holding it in his left hand, then Aragorn's thrown apple hits Pippin on the head and falls to the ground. Two apples.

3. Sorry, the pillows in Lothlorien aren't some "Martha Stewart Collection" pillowcases. Loom-woven, tight weave, but a hand-sewn stitch. Originals.

4. The scene where Boromir confronts Frodo at Amon Hen: The bundle of wood Boromir is holding in his arms which he has gathered: The shape of the wood branch topmost in the bundle changes as the scene progresses. Different sticks, obviously different takes. [No, I AIN'T gonna say, "the wood in his hands changes shape". There are children on this group!]

Good observations, folks. Thanks for pointing them out!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:01 AM   #28
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

HOBBIT you really are sick - you'd better just go back and lay down with Arwen - she'll make it all better.

I covered programs and games by just saying software - which is the general term for anything that runs on the computer vs hardware that makes up the physical part of the computer. For an admin of a web site - I thought you'd know that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-08-2002 at 03:05 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:53 AM   #29
anduin
Entwife

I am not talking of Frodo's pillow in Lothlorien. But Sam's pillow....maybe he isn't in Lothlorien, but in Rivendell. Hmmm, now I must go see it again sooner than planned...which was this weekend.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:09 PM   #30
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

nope, anduin, it's Sam's pillow in Lothlorien that folks have been on about. He had no pillow in Rivendell; that was Frodo's pillow, a white linen with embossing in Elven designs. The pillows in the Prancing Pony are whiteas well, but a looser woven linen, sans decoration.

No, the pillow Sam is sleeping upon in Lothlorien is the "striped pillow", and again, it is a loom-woven, tight-weave material, and the seam is obviously a hand-stitch.

[By the Valar, if someone told me a year ago I'd be discussing the weave of a pillowcase, I'd have said they were loons...]
Old 01-08-2002, 07:10 PM   #31
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I believe what HOBBIT means is that in a lot of software and games there are Lord of the rings Easter Eggs and refrences, they occourr a lot in Microsoft Programs such as Visual Basic.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:56 PM   #32
anduin
Entwife

Ugh! Your right, about the locations I mean, but I remember Sam's pillow being mostly white with a goldish and greenish wavy design and loose stitching in the seam (which I bet is just serged...which will give the effect of hand stitching from the outside.). I am seeing it again this weekend so I will look for this striped pillow you all are talking about. When you say striped are you meaning like "ticking"?
Old 01-09-2002, 04:57 AM   #33
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Hmmm...pillow talk....

I brought up the part where the car was moving behind the scarecrow with my friends and one of them said:

"Speaking of scarecrows, why is it covered with crows?"
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:04 PM   #34
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

no, anduin, the pillow is "saem facing" to the camera, so you cannot see the pillow underneath. No "ticking" shown.

And, Arathorn, of you've ever had a garden or farm and used a "scarecrow", you find that crows aren't really all that scared of 'em....
Old 01-09-2002, 12:06 PM   #35
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Sorry. "seam facing".

And by the way, Arathorn: Welcome to the moot!
Old 01-09-2002, 12:43 PM   #36
anduin
Entwife

That's what I am talking about. The pillow CASE. I hate that damn thing. The seam is yucky and the fabric ugly.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:04 PM   #37
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Thanks bropous.

BTW, right after the dragon fireworks and Gandalf tweaks Pippin's and Merry's ears there is a close-up of the two hobbits with their faces still black.

Question: Just curious and can't afford to watch the movie again for at least until the weekend. Are Gandalf's hands still holding their ears?

Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:35 PM   #38
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
BTW, right after the dragon fireworks and Gandalf tweaks Pippin's and Merry's ears there is a close-up of the two hobbits with their faces still black.
Theres nothing wrong with that. Gandalf does not hold their ears while they are cleaning dishes.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:00 PM   #39
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

After they set off the dragon firework, the two miscreant hobbits are shown, faces blackened, hair and clothes smouldering, and one says, "That was great!" and the other says, "Let's get another one!".

THEN Gandalf grabs their ears.

Oh well, anduin, I guess we'll disagree on the quality of fabric selection and "seamstressing" on the subject of the pillowcase.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #40
fedos
Hobbit

Well, there I was getting into the emotion of Borormir's death scene and my brother nudges me and points out that you can see Boromir's right hand on Aragorn's left shoulder when the camera is behind Aragorn. Then when the camera shifts to face Aragorn, the hand is absent from the shoulder. A little later the facing-Aragorn shot had Boromir raise his right hand and place it on Aragorn's left shoulder.
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote