Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2002, 08:06 AM   #21
Haegondwen
Hobbit

the Mallorean is the sequal series to the Belgariad. the rivan codex was something that belgarath and polgara used in the belgariad to tell them what to do. it was a broad outline of the prophecy. there was another "ancient text" that had more specific directions in it, and thats the one that starts with m. its been about a year since i read them so i cant really remember what its called. maybe i should read them again. have you read the redemption of althalus?
Haegondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:11 AM   #22
Haegondwen
Hobbit

i cant really remember who my favorite characters are. its so hard to chose between them. Polgara is a definite though. im always impressed by strong women. but i loved silk and the guy who turned into a bear, i cant remember what his name is though.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:58 PM   #23
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Silk is an interesting character, but I've always loved his thieves anyway. (That's probably not a good thing) I think his name was Barak, or something like that. Ce'Nadra is cool don't you think? I wish they'd write a continuation of the series. Why does everyone automatically call her Pol?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 03:10 PM   #24
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

to the word Barak has a meaning in hebrew it means lightning.

I like lots of characters I don't know who is my favorite.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:50 PM   #25
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Strange, he does turn into a bear. But he does move pretty fast. Who would you say is more brainless, the Austrians or the Arendians? The knights get rather ridiculus. How can Pol tell the twins apart?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-18-2002, 08:54 AM   #26
Haegondwen
Hobbit

lets see.....

-Pol can tell the twins apart because she lived with them her whole life. plus, they all have the psychic connection with each other, im sure that has something to do with it.

-every one calls her Pol because its the nature of people to give some one they like a nick name, dont you think? i actually dont like that nickname, but hey, i didnt write the book

-i didnt like Ce'Nedra. well, not that i didnt LIKE her, just that she was my least favorite. i dont like how a lot of authors use stereotypes. she was a small redhead, so of course she had to have a huge personality. maybe its just cause i dont like her attitude.

-i cant remember which Knights were which, but the ones who were lead by the guy whose name started with M (cant remember it) the ones who were honorable to a fault, in my opinion, were the stupidest. they need some lessons from Silk. Honorable is one thing, but they take it waaay too far.

-i loved the part where Barak (i think you are right) turned into a bear, although i think Eddings could have done a little more with it.

-Twirl, if you love thieves, then DEFinitely read the Redemption of Althalus. Althalus is a thief, the best in the world, supposedly. i found this book a little funnier than the rest, but maybe it was cuase it was all one book, and not spread out.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:00 PM   #27
Haegondwen
Hobbit

i looked absolutely all over the internet and i couldnt find any david eddings books in hebrew anywhere. im sorry!
Old 04-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #28
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Thanks for answering my questions. I have read the Redemption of Athalus, but I could only borry it for so long, maybe i better read it again. Remember when he found out she was pregnant?

Old 04-19-2002, 07:51 AM   #29
Haegondwen
Hobbit

of course. im hoping that they use that pregnancy for a sequal. i love to read, obviously, and really good authors are hard to come by
Old 04-24-2002, 02:39 PM   #30
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

Haegondwen, thanks for the trying.what are the names of the books beside the Belgeriad and Melorien? It will be easier to find them when I know there names.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:11 PM   #31
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

If you mean the titles they are:
  • in the Belgariad
    Pwan of prohecy
    Quenn of socery
    Magician's gambit
    castle of Wizardry
    Enchanter Endgame

and in the Mallorean
    Gaurdians of the west
    King of the Murgos
    Demon Lord of Karanda
    Sorceress of Darshiva
    Seeress of Kell
I prefer the Mallorean, but I read them first.

Old 04-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #32
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I ment in my last post not the Belgeriad and the mellorien I read them alreasdy (in hebrew) I don't know the names of the other books. I found in the school lybrary some books of him that I didn't read so I might read it soon.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:03 PM   #33
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
Love David Eddings

I have read everything he has written [except High hunt][and Losers][ok so maybe I exagerate]

I'll rephrase. I have read an awful lot by David Eddings. He is so cool.

My favourite character is Garion but everyone I know makes fun of me for liking him best because I usually do like the heros [eg, Frodo, luke skywalker]
So my new favourite character is Zakath. He is so funky even when he is evil.

Also love Belgarath. V cool.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:10 PM   #34
Polkat
Enting

oops forgot something

Have just gone up and actually <i>read</i> the posts. [If that doesn't work just imagine that read is in italics. [does anyone else find it annoying that read is the same in the past and present? stupid english lanuage.]

Pol can tell the twins apart if you mean Belkira and Beltira she did it in Magicians Gambit I think. Cant remember which. If you mean her own twins who remain annoyingly nameless and genderless almost certainly yes.

Cant remember what else I was going to write.

Oh wait got it.

Hasnt anyone read any of the Sparhawk books? All the posts seem to be about Garion [who is v cool but then so is Sparhawk] If you haven't I suggest you do. They're very good.

Something else...nope gone...er, oh yes. The Mimbrate Arends are by far stupider. The Austrians speak normally and do not charge into battles they stay well back and shoot arrows into things. There was one great line just after your first meeting with Mandorallen something about being disappointed in the cowardess of the big beasts that were going to kill them.
Wonderful stuff.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:27 PM   #35
Garina
Elf Lord

Yey! I have finally found other people who read and like David Eddings! I am so happy! Ok, I'm calm.
When u say Austrians do u mean Asturians? My favourite characters are definately Silk and Velvet - I love the way they are always trying to embarrass each other.

I have read the Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium, Tamuli, and The Redemption of Athalus, and I loved them all. David Eddings has a wicked sense of humour. Leitha from the Redemption is so cool. I hope they do a sequel to that as he has kind of wound the other series up by completely triumphing over evil - how annoying is that? I'm not as keen on the Elenium but I love the Tamuli because the characters are so well written.

Does anyone else think that these books would make cool movies - if they got the right director.
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:40 PM   #36
Polkat
Enting

embarressed

er, yes i did mean asturians. very embarressed at hideous david eddings mistake. oh well.

still like garion the best just dont tell anyone.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:02 AM   #37
Haegondwen
Hobbit

you guys are hilarious. if it makes you feel better, polkat, i have always loved whatever female heroines in anything, books, movies, or tv. i just cant help myself. i think its a hero-identification kinda thing. who wouldnt want to be the hero (or in my case, strongest female character) i have also read everything Eddings and his wife have written except for high hunt and lovers, or whatever its called. i love them all. i think almost all the books i have EVER read would make fantastic movies, but its impossible to get a good director or a good writer to do any of them justice. SF/fantasy totally gets the shaft when it comes to that stuff. plus, there would have to be a movie for each book. and could them make movies out of the Polgara and Belgarath books? it would cost an absolute fortune to have to make all those movies and then have to remake them from a different point of view?
Old 05-13-2002, 11:14 AM   #38
Garina
Elf Lord

Yeah, I see what u mean - it would be a very long series of movies! They could always film the Redemption of Athalus though. Although that would probably be horrendously cut.
I am now depressed.

Sorry Polkat I didn't mean to embarrass u, i was just a bit confused. Garion is a cool hero because things dont always go his way, he makes mistakes and gets into trouble!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:26 AM   #39
Polkat
Enting

It's alright

It's alright, I embarressed myself. I did the same on the Princess Bride one. My spelling is awful. I try to tell people I am dyslexic but so far no one has believed me

I think David Eddings said he didn't want any of his books made into movies which is a shame coz that would be so cool, although v expensive. Also it'd spark off tonnes of debates about whether the cuts were good or the actors right etc etc and I recon Eddings just wants to avoid that.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:50 AM   #40
Haegondwen
Hobbit

maybe with redemp of alth they could do a lotr kinda thing. they cut it, but well, and make it a trilogy of movies instead of one? why doesnt eddings what movies make of his books? is there a thread on here that is about what books would make good movies? do you guys have any problems with stereotypical characters? it always bothers me that in fantasy there always seems to be a young guy who needs to learn his skills, a big guy who already has them, a BIG guy who every one thinks is dumb but is actually smart, and a small, skeevy kinda guy who is a thief or assasin or something. then there is always a tiny chick with a big personality with a lot of hairand a young boy who is clever and witty who always causes a problem. there is usually a wise man of some sort they can go to for help. eddings has those characters too, but at least he breaks from them with Polgara and in the elenium; Sparhawks friend, i cant remember his name. i think it starts with K though. and Sparhawks squire. ok, so a lot of characters in the Elenium and Tamuli arent as stereotypical as they are in the belgariad. maybe its because eddings has SO many characters in every book.