Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2001, 06:34 PM   #21
Jo El
Sapling

I'm waiting to see the movie myself, but I am enjoying all the thoughts from those of you who have.

It sounds like Arwen is yet another bow to being POLITCALLY CORRECT. You can't have a movie these days without a heroine to pull things out of the fire. Ladies please don't be offended, but what is wrong with following the storyline and letting the guys do the hard work?

I enjoy works by Holly Lisle with almost all female characters and the Paksanarrion series was great. I wouldn't want them changed so that they had to have a major character become male.

Who knows how far they will go to change a story to obtain "popular" appeal.
Old 12-25-2001, 04:36 PM   #22
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I saw it Christmas Eve. It was enjoyable. I think PJ did as good a job as can be done with such a huge undertaking! My only gripe is having to wait so long between movies...6 months would have been better!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 06:37 PM   #23
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Lot's of complaints

No weapons in the boat with Borrimor (yea, I know I misspelled that!)

Aragorn not wanting to take his throne?

Merry? Merry who?

No gift for anybody but Frodo (and Gimli's gift was one of my fav. parts).

Aragorn fighting off the Nazgul for all that time? Give me a break! There is no way he could have withstood five of them for that long! And putting out the fire?

Moria was NOT falling apart.

Borrimor and Aragorn not jumping onto the bridge? Gandalf falling on purpose?

The ring out during the whole concil?

Gimli hits it with an axe and Frodo and Bilbo do nothing?

I could go on for days!

It was ok.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:54 PM   #24
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Aragorn fighting off the Nazgul for all that time? Give me a break! There is no way he could have withstood five of them for that long!
Aragorn had brands of fire in his hand, the Nazgul are afraid of fire plus it ruins their vision of the 'Light' world.

Quote:
Borrimor and Aragorn not jumping onto the bridge? Gandalf falling on purpose?
Aragorn turns back to face the Balrog but Gandalf stops him. It clearly shows the Balrog falling, grabbing Gandalf by his whip, Gandalf falls and grabs hold of the edge trying to hold on with great difficultly, eventually the strain and the realisation that he cannot climb back up make him let go and face his foe.

Quote:
Gimli hits it with an axe and Frodo and Bilbo do nothing?
Bilbo was not at the Council of Elrond (In the Movie anyway) and Frodo did do a small cry followed by his oath to take the ring.

Quote:
Merry? Merry who?
What?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 09:02 PM   #25
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Aragorn does fight them with Fire in the book. Read the last paragraph of "A knife in the dark"
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 11:06 PM   #26
Gildor
Hobbit

What I missed in the movie

I saw the movie. He did a good job, I think. Good enough for me to want to see the rest, and that says a lot, because this comes from one who never watches movies...always reading and loving it.

However, since we are pointing out our few disappointments I'll add mine.

First, I felt a lack of space--too close-up on the faces. (maybe that was the fault of the screen I saw it on).

Second, the cave troll scene and the Galadriel transformation scene were not really consistent with the rest of the film, which seemed almost believable. Gandalf's rejection of the offer to wear the ring better conveys the temptation of a "will to power" than the theatrical stuff by Galadriel.

Third, with so much action, it was difficult to develop the characters and their relationship to each other...Legolas and Gimli, Gimli and Galadriel, Pippin and Merry, even the common good sense and loyalty of Sam--although his proclamation at the end was brilliant--writing and acting both.

Finally, the council at Elrond...it was so short...so anticlimactic...there were so many things that needed to be said... including my own favorite quote---the signature of my post. It is a brilliant message, and I missed it. Maybe PJ will use it in the introduction of the Two Towers.

All in all, like I said...I loved the movie, the acting was exceptional. The music was...well...elvish. The sets were magnificent. The three hours seemed too short.

P.s. Of course, I'll always go back to the book. It has been my favorite among many favorites for years now. I've made it a point to read it every five years. With such stuff for raw material of course the movie has to be great...else we fans would revolt.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:21 AM   #27
Prince Faramir
Enting

the film was good

But as has been said before so many crucial ideas were missed out. Also the troll was pathetic - I have never seen a more pathetic troll on the screen. Even the dribbling Harry Potter Troll was more scary...

On a brighter note, the raising of Legolas into fighting extrordonare [sp?] is a part of the film which has been rightly done. He is an Elf, therefore should be allowed to be a kung-fu natural, and the set pieces with Arogorn and Gimli and Legolas with the firing of Arrows etc are brilliantly done. Hope you are watching George Lucas.

Another point that conveyed the staggering mind of Tolkien was Isildur and [bugger ummm whats his name?] and his dad with their hands pointing out. I though that bit was done excellently - you could really feel the scale of the statues and wonder of the boat riders.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:54 PM   #28
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Comic: By asking "Merry who?" I ment that he had almost no part at all in the movie.

Do you honestly think that someone who had held and worn the ring would see it being hit with an axe and all he does is cry out?

I am not saying that Aragon didn't fight them off, I'm just saying he couldn't have withstood them for as long as it showed.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:30 PM   #29
Comic Book Guy

Isildur's father is called Elendil.

Quote:
Do you honestly think that someone who had held and worn the ring would see it being hit with an axe and all he does is cry out?
Actually no, after seeing the Movie again I see that Frodo did a lot more, he cried out, squirmed in his seat, stared at the ring, the ring then started it's chant and Frodo was locked under its spell.

Quote:
I am not saying that Aragon didn't fight them off, I'm just saying he couldn't have withstood them for as long as it showed.
Is aproximately 1 minute too long for an experienced ranger with weapons of physical fear against a blinded enemy? Anyway the Nazgul actually retreated.

Quote:
But as has been said before so many crucial ideas were missed out. Also the troll was pathetic - I have never seen a more pathetic troll on the screen. Even the dribbling Harry Potter Troll was more scary...
No offence to you, but I believe that the cave troll was one of the coollest CG characters I've ever seen. To say that the cartoonish Mountain Troll in Harry Potter looks better is slighty uneducated. I've seen more pathetic Trolls on the screen though Prince Faramir.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:48 AM   #30
Prince Faramir
Enting

it was pathetic

and in the scene for far too long. one of my favourite bits is when frodo stabs its foot and aragorn hails him - where was that?
Old 12-28-2001, 12:01 PM   #31
Billadillo
Hobbit

Gollum

Well, I'm here to agree and disagree with both of you Faramir & Comic Book Guy...

I think the troll was done very well. Much bigger & more brutish than I ever pictured it. So as far as how it looked, I thought it was great.

BUT

I thought the battle scene with the troll was too long. Most of them were actually. I understand that they played up the action to make the movie more exciting and I admit the fight scenes looked great, but I miss the part with Frodo stabbing the troll's foot, Aragorn complimenting him, Gandalf nearly getting blown away trying to bar the door, and many other small details.

It all seems kind of ironic. Especially after hearing again and again from the movie people how there just wasn't enough time in the movie to get everything in. Looks like they sacrificed alot of details and found the time to stretch out the fights.

That's Hollywood for you. I suppose it's unrealistic to hope for anything different.

Oh well, even if it wasn't perfect, the movie was still very good.

Last edited by Billadillo : 12-28-2001 at 12:02 PM.
Billadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 08:54 PM   #32
fedos
Hobbit

I think the cave troll looked great and I even enjoyed the fight scene with it. What got me was I don't think even the mithril shirt could have withstood the spear being thrust into it by such a large creature and I think they should have left the spear as being thrown. Also, I think the troll would have noticed that he hadn't hit flesh.

What was really cool was all the orcs crawling down the pillars and coming out of what looked like the middle of nowhere and then reatreating just before the Balrog its with wings that were too small showed up. "and its wings were spread wall to wall". Those itty bitty stubs didn't go past thing's shoulders.

But I must say Moria was filled with plenty of suspence. The drums and the dark and all of a sudden you have arrows flying at you! But it was disappointing that they gave the impression that it was until recently a thriving kingdom. But then again, Gimli's reactions were perfect. "They call it a mine, a mine!", that was great and so was his horror at seeing the tomb of Balin.

Sometimes it was irritating that some scenes had great attention to detail and others failed to show this attention. Like, will Frodo leave the ring on its chain or is he going to take it off everytime he holds it in his hand?
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 04:11 PM   #33
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

Rate the movie!

I haven't yet got to see the movie.. (I've been bugging my mom to take me since it came out and we just haven't got around to it). So just how good is it??? on a scale of 1 to 10 (one being terrible and 10 being the best) rate the movie... THANKS!

~*Elf Princess*~
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:18 PM   #34
Taurwen
Hobbit

Overall I think it was probably a 7 or 8. The special effects were great, but there needed to be more character development, especially with Legolas and Gimli. The action scenes were really good, and the Shire looked good, but some parts of Lothlorien were sort of tacky. Definately go and see it when you can
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sudering Seas between them lay,
and yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away
In the forest singing sorrowless.
Taurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:27 PM   #35
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Strider DAMMMMMM GOOOOD!

as an adventure movie its a 10/10

as an adaption of the book,
we all knew it couldnt provide all off Tolkiens magic,
BUT ITS NOT FAR OFF 8.5/10
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:33 PM   #36
Starbreeze
Sapling

Strider

About 8 or 9 i'd say. I hope you get to see it soon, it is good.
~~ Plum coloured pixie of death ~~
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 05:48 PM   #37
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

A big fat 10!! And every time I see it, I like it more.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 06:23 PM   #38
Comic Book Guy

I have merged this thread with another because of the repetive nature of this topic. If anybody has already posted their opinons on this or another thread, don't do so again please.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:29 PM   #39
niggle
Hobbit

Second viewing - second thoughts

I have just seen the film for the second time (took my nine year older daughter). Here are a few reactions I had on a second viewing:

The action was too rushed - enormous ingenuity was spent on the sets - and I felt they were excellent, but the film shot through or past them at the speed of light. This was especially true of Moria. I didn't like all the dead bodies right at the doors of Moria. One of the excellent things about the books is that one remains uncertain as to whether Balin and his folks are still around until the Chamber of Mazarbul - and then, almost immediately after the discovery of Balin's tomb the fellowship is attacked. In the film it was pretty obvious from the moment the fellowship entered Moria that Balin and Co were dead.

I liked Arwen. I guess she's going to show up with Anduril in time for Helm's Deep?

I didn't like the council of Elrond. If the Ring had the effect that Jackson was portraying (setting everyone at each other's throats) then I guess it is inconsistent to assume that they would all shut up just because Frodo announces that he will take the ring.

I felt that the build up of suspense occurred too early in the film with the Hobbits being literally (instead of figuratively) chased out of the Shire (what did they do, run all the way to Bree, it's 85 miles or so isn't it?)

This sounds as though I didn't like the film, but I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just feel that the film could have lingered a little in the areas like The Shire, Rivendell and Lorien so that the times when the Hobbits or the fellowship were really in danger would be more powerful. leaving Lorien is supposed to be a wrench in the book. In the film they seemed to treat it more like a transit hotel.

Anyway - my daughter also loved the film (she's read the books and constantly listens to the BBC dramatisation). The fingers on my left hand are still numb from the way she started gripping them half an hour into the film and didn't stop until the closing credits.

This is long for a first post here - but I'd be interested in reactions to my criticisms
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 08:35 PM   #40
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

You can't recreate Tolkiens magic on the screen. Its impossible. But Peter Jackson got as close as you can get.
9/10.
I thought the wizard fight was stupid, I thought Arwen was stupid, and I thought Sam needed a bigger part (but I think Sam is the main character too, so don't pay attention to that.
Great, great, great movie overall though, make sure you see it.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote