Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2001, 04:32 PM   #21
Rogue
Hobbit

The movie was absolutely fantastic.

One thing I would have liked to have seen included was the Elves asking Gimli to go to Lothlorien blindfolded and the others backing Gimli up when he complains. It would have shown their friendship growing.......
Old 12-20-2001, 06:43 PM   #22
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

One of the interesting things about the movie, I think, was indeed the way it portrayed the effect of the ring on others (the expanded Galadriel vision, and the creeeepy bilbo scene.) Yet, in a way, this seems almost fitting - it is certainly reasonable, and it definitely emphasizes the power of the ring. I found it a bit much - but this is one area where that is possibly *solely* because it goes against my image of the book, and not because it was done poorly or bad.

In any case, I loved the movie. Period. Wish I didn't have to wait another year for the next one. But it was superb. The characters were excellent, and, almost foremost in my mind, it did such an amazing job of setting. The Shire felt warm and cozy, Moria felt dark and silent like a tomb. Rivendell was happy and wise, and Lothlorien was filled with power and beauty. The visual effect of the film succeeded in what may have been the hardest task - creating its own images that can satisfy readers who have long formed in their minds what the places looked like. They certainly didn't always match perfectly to how I imagined things, but they did fit the places well, and they felt right.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:45 PM   #23
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I loved it, and I am pretty picky. I am very familiar with the books too. I told one of my classes today that it was the best thing that has happened to me since the birth of my son. Sure there were a few things that could have been better, but I can't remember any movie that was nearly as satisfying. The three hours flew by, and I didn't even realize that I had to go to the bathroom until it was over. Peace.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:21 PM   #24
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm still organizing my thoughts about this movie.

I think I'll have to see it again before I can really comment on it as a film.

In fact, it's a little difficult to comment on it at all, considering the next two installments aren't out yet... but I'll make do with what I have, I guess.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 09:37 PM   #25
Nikolaos
Sapling

at Weathertop

And at Weathertop, it was disappointing that in the movie, Frodo's stab at the Nazgul with "Sting" wasn't portrayed. As I recall, Strider was pretty impressed Frodo cut the Nazgul's black cloak.
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:24 AM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Um, Frodo didn't have Sting at Weathertop.

Anyway. I am definitely going to see the film again tomorrow and have a clearer picture of it, now that I have an idea of what it's like. I came out of the movie feeling much like I did when I saw Lawrence of Arabia, Braveheart Apocalypse Now, L.A. Confidential or Saving Private Ryan the first time; in either case, upon the first viewing, I wasn't immediately blown away by the whole picture, but just parts of it - mostly because these films were so laden with detail (and just plain long to boot), I didn't distinctly remember everything I saw. I came out of each of those films for the first time amazed, yet somehow unsatisfied. But I grew to love these movies.

Or maybe because I stayed up so late last night, just watching the movie felt like a dream.

I think the ability of this movie to stand up to repeat viewings will really determine what I think about it. With movies like Lawrence and Ryan, repeat viewings make them better and better, and initial mid-film gripes about pacing virtually disappear as I am gradually more able to see the entire film as a single unit.

Contrastingly, many other visual masterpieces that I simply adored on the first viewing degraded upon multiple viewings. Shrek, by its very nature as a parody, quickly got old in its humour, and by the third or fourth viewing, the pace began to seem uncomfortably fast. Admittedly, I found Titanic to be a masterpiece on the first viewing, because it left such a lasting impression - but a retrospective look at it reveals its mindnumbingly weak screenplay. Gladiator loses a lot of its appeal by the fourth time around, when all the fights have become so familiar, much like the humour in Shrek. The Phantom Menace... well, every time I watch it, I think of it differently.

Is there such a thing as an "instant classic"? I'm not too sure. Part of a "classic" status relies on a film's ability to stand up to multiple viewings. There are some films that I find infinitely re-watchable - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Brazil, Casablanca, the Star Wars Classic Trilogy (I actually find ANH to be the most difficult to get through every time I watch it - I always watch the three back-to-back-to-back).

By the very nature of Fellowship as being absolutely positively not stand-alone, my opinion of it will probably remain completely fluid until December 2003 - and maybe even then, it will take multiple viewings of The Return of the King and all of LOTR back-to-back-to-back for me to have a real opinion about it. By the very nature of the film being based on source material I am deeply familiar with, it requires multiple viewings in order for it to be seen from different perspectives. Now that I know where the film goes, I can put the book out of my mind and focus on the movie as a movie.

Here's hoping that Fellowship is more of a Lawrence and less of a Titanic.

As it stands, I have minor gripes about Fellowship. But I've always had minor gripes on the first viewing of any movie I grew to love. Besides, if I thought it was perfect the first time, it has nowhere to go but down.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 12-21-2001, 08:20 AM   #27
Haldir
Sapling

Eloquently put IronParrot

You captured many of my thoughts about the movie and I too cannot wait to see again ana again.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:00 PM   #28
Nikolaos
Sapling

LOTR, the movie

The movie was wonderful, don't get me wrong. It will bear re-seeing, as a matter of fact, I'll see it tonight again, this time with my bride.

Each viewer will notice little differences that seemed meaningful to us in the book that are changed in the movie. Everyone notices the absence of Tom Bombadil. On re-experiencing the movie, more changes or deletions will be noticed, some more important to some fans, more than others. On Weathertop, Strider recognized a Hobbit's valor when he realized Frodo had achieved a sword stroke at the Nazgul. (Erk, of course it wasn't Sting, he had not yet received it. . .doh).

I too feel that Jackson wraps us up in the story so effectively, that the cgi seemed seamless.

Great movie.
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 12:59 PM   #29
Haldir
Sapling

Strider

I have a question, and I am not asking to be a smart-a** but because I really want to know.

What is it about Tom Bombadill that so many people like. He has always seemed to be to be an oddity in the story from my point-of-view. Have I missed something special about him.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:44 PM   #30
Rogue
Hobbit

I would also like to know what makes Tom Bombadil so special...
Someone pointed out to me once that he shows how ill prepared the hobbits are at the begining of their journey.
That may be, but does he have to be so silly?
Old 12-21-2001, 02:21 PM   #31
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I love Tom Bombidil because he would be a great friend to have during any kind of problem. I also like his attitude, his "who-cares-what-anybody-else-thinks? attitude. He never seems to be very bothered by anything. Peace.
Old 12-21-2001, 03:43 PM   #32
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

My only realy gripe with the movie was Lothloriane (sp?) it just didn't seem as utopian as it is described in the movie. I also thought "oh my god" when Frodo offered the ring but to those who haven't read the book probably would quite like it. I was a bit dissappointed that there was no "conspiracy" between the Hobbits at the start but i did like the seemless introduction of one of the chapter titals "a short cut to mushrooms".
One thing i though was good about it was the fact it wasn't over Americanised. At the start where it says "the shire 60 years latter" was a bit tacky and I though great all we are going to have is dates and places flashed up on our screen but fortuatly it was not to be.
My friends are most disappointed that it ended the way it did and can't wait to see the next one. The friend in mention is too lazy to read the book!
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 04:16 PM   #33
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

So, did everyone get the Balrog that they wanted for Christmas??
Old 12-22-2001, 12:39 AM   #34
potyondi
Sapling

I saw wings!
Old 12-22-2001, 12:43 AM   #35
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Wings of shadow, shadow wings. Not real wings.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 12:44 AM   #36
potyondi
Sapling

Pfft, real wings wreathed in smoke you mean.
Old 12-22-2001, 12:54 AM   #37
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

Yes, I did get the Balrog I wanted. Even more terrifying than the one depicted in Bakshi's LOTR!
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 01:59 AM   #38
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I just saw it again today.

It is indeed better the second time around. Mostly because this time, I knew what to expect, and differences from the novel didn't distract me one bit; I could see the film as a film.

And as a film... it's wondrous.

Old 12-22-2001, 03:09 AM   #39
Curandir
Hobbit

Gimli

I loved this movie! It seemed like the movie really just played the images I had always imagined over the years on the big screen! I went with a couple of people who had never read the book and I had even filled them in on the "big" balrog controversy and when the balrog appeared one of my friends wispered in an awed tone "it has wings!" One other thing came out in the showing I went to, was some of the drug undertones in the movie. When Gandalf and Bilbo are blowing smoke rings and one of them mentioned that this is the "best Shire weed" everyone in the theater bust up laughing. I had never thought of it that way! Even when Merry and friends are foraging around for mushrooms there was a snicker from the crowd. Were there simular things going on around the country/world?
Old 12-22-2001, 11:00 AM   #40
Vanimdil
Enting

Well, I see I am in the minority. The movie was interesting to watch but I was also really disappointed in it. The only part that I felt was done right was some of the casting. Frodo was absolutely perfect, Legolas was good, the other hobbits were fine and I guess Aragorn too. Gandalf was awful, in my opinion. There was no feel at all of how lovable he is. In the movie when he fell into the pit, I wasn't even sorry to see him go. In the book I cried. Another thing that really got me was the way the scene at Balin's tomb in Khazad Dum was done. That is one of the most suspenseful parts of the books. (When I read it for the first time, it was the only time I've ever been shaking with fright while reading a book.) In the book they are reading,"Drums, drums in the deep. We are trapped. We cannot get out. They are coming." Then the drumbeats begin. One member of the fellowship says, "Drums, drums in the deep," another says, "We are trapped. We cannot get out," and another whispers, "They are coming." (Sorry, this is not an exact quote. I don't have the book here with me.) In the movie they read "Drums, drums in the deep. We cannot get out. They are coming." Then we have of all things, comic relief with Pippin! Then they yell "orcs" and run. It totally ruins the suspsense. I have other complaints as well---over-exposed flashing witch Galadriel with a voice like the wizard of Oz, hot fighter babe Arwen, Sauron looks like Shredder from teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (here I give credit to my brother ), the Balrog looks like a dragon puppet.....---well, I've said enough. To sum up (and I'm sure everyone's glad), I felt that the movie changed the artistic simplicity and subtlety of Tolkien's work into a Hollywood hack and slash, "magical" adventure.
Vanimdil is offline   Reply With Quote