Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2002, 03:10 AM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, liunilwen!

Which speech of Faramir's are you alluding to in your post? And I don't quite think very many speeches any of the characters in the books make will get in the Jackson films, using Fellowship as a guide...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:55 AM   #22
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

thankyou for the kind welcome, bropous. unfortunately, living in australia tends to mean i come to chat when everyone on the other side of the world is asleep.

Quote:
`For myself,' said Faramir, 'I would see the White Tree in flower again courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of NĂºmenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise."
god if only the rulers of today had an OUNCE of that wisdom...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #23
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"god if only the rulers of today had an OUNCE of that wisdom..."

So also had Tolkien felt about the "rulers" of his day, luinilwen!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:33 PM   #24
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

well no doubt considering WWI and WWII and how they affected JRRT's life and writings. sad how we can make connections between the world wars and ... *shudder* george bush's escapades. i hate that man (sorry if you're a patriotic american, btw) maybe not sad, scary, rather.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:06 PM   #25
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

luinilwen, in the interest of us not discussing things we know nothing about, lay off My President, and I'll not slam your Prime Minister. Deal? Otherwise, I'll be forced to launch into a full-scale fusilade in support of the man, which I am sure you are not interested in, equal to my total and unmitigated disinterest in your opinion of Bush.

Besides, this ain't a place for discussion of neither current politics NOR religion. Comprendez-vous? This is a place for the discussion of Tolkien.

Keep your opinions of Mr. Bush to yourself. They have NO place in this discussion. If you want to rant, I may suggest the undernet.org IRC channel, #politics. Deal?

Back to the friendly debates on TOLKIEN, cobber....

Last edited by bropous : 01-13-2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:11 PM   #26
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

sure, i'm sorry if i offended you, bropous. opinion witheld (however fire away at johnny howard, i don't like him either )
Old 01-13-2002, 10:28 PM   #27
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Momentary offense permanently forgotten, luinilwen!
Old 01-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #28
Gerbil
Elf Lord

EEK! Bropous bites

That was a bit harsh methinks, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if this isn't the place to air it!

Would Mr Bropous be american by any chance?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:22 AM   #29
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

yup, biting bropous is proud red-blooded american, and I have apologized most sincerely to the intelligent and gracious liunilwen for my inapproriate snaps... and she has kindly accepted...

You're right, we ALL gots a right to our opinions, me friends... *slapping self silly*
Old 01-25-2002, 08:59 AM   #30
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Sneak peek planned after oscars

I wasn't sure if this deserves it's own thread or not but I came across this bit of news from Imladris.net:
"New Line, Tuckerman said, is planning 'at some point in time to add (additional footage at the end of Rings that) will be a lot longer than a trailer, but I don't know how much longer. We're going to give (moviegoers) a preview of (the second episode of Rings). We're going to change the last reel out and do a preview of Two at the end of the last reel. (People) are screaming for it.'''

No doubt about it I will have to go see it again and wait through the credits. Then this thread can really take off!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:25 AM   #31
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I personally think that Jackson has to end TT with the Lair of Shelob. Anything less would be completely unacceptable IMO.

Also Rogue's post on the Saruman's death, he had posted his message on 12/4/01 (before FOTR came out) - I guess we can all (after seeing FOTR) emiminate the fact that Saruman's death would be changed because of too much gore for a PG-13 movie. If in FOTR there can be arms cut off and decapitations - then I think one feeble washed-up wizard can get his throat slashed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:41 AM   #32
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

If the TT ends after Frodo gets Stung and Sam thinks that he is dead...then that would be a great cliffhanger...it would certainly shock a bunch of people!!! I like where it ends in the book...I think that it would be a great way to end it...but seeing as though Boromir died in the second book and not the first...I think that they might end it differently...
I really hope that they have the Scouring of the Shire in the RotK!!! I know that it is probably wishful thinking but hey, do you not remember my post in the Elijah..a bit of a wierdo thread!!!
Finally...the whole preview at the Oscars (if I read that right) YEAH BABY!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 08:22 AM   #33
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I think, Evenstar, that what will be happening is that *IF* FotR recieves any Oscar nominatons, *then* New Line will add a lengthy preview of TTT to the theatrical release. So if we want to see it we will have to plunk down more cash to see the movie again. Chances are that we may be able to down load from the net this trailer or a similar version some time in the future. I hope this clears up any misconceptions from my previous post

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-28-2002 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:05 PM   #34
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I saw a great shot of the meeting of Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn with Eomer and the Rohirrim. Spear blades look great, the Rohirrim look bloody fierce. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing that! Also, there was a small blurb which stated TTT will be bloodier, which ain't really surprising with the Battle of Helms Deep and the attack of the Rohirrim on the orcs of the White Hand and Red Eye [and Misty Mountain goblins] when Merry and Piipn get away.

Included as well was Sean Astin talking about the Dead MArshes, saying how dead bodies in the water with lights were trying to call Frodo to come and join them. At least that part will be close to the books. Apparently, though, Denethor makes an appearance, so mayhaps the film ends, aside from the Frodo/Sam angle, with the arrival of Gandalf the White and Pippin in Minas Tirith. However, this means the battle scenes fo the Pelennor and the Morannon will be rather protracted in Return of the King, I think, and while all this news is good to me, I know some folks thought Fellowship was too violent.

Any ideas when this new "reel change-out" is to occur? I will certainly go see Fellowship for time #7 to see previews.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:05 PM   #35
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

Any ideas when this new "reel change-out" is to occur? I will certainly go see Fellowship for time #7 to see previews.
As far as I know the trailer is supposed to be added after the nominations for the Academy Awards are announced. So maybe after Feb. 24? My guess is that if FotR receives a boat load of nods and wins big, it will be re-released to more theaters as happens often to winners at the oscars. I also suspect that the trailer will be made available on the net soon after the awards. But these are guesses based on limited info.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #36
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

I agree with the fact that the book ening would be a good ending for the movie although, when FotR ended someone sitting near me said "That is the stupidest ending ever" I couldn't help but say "Nah, it ain't over, dude, just gotta read the books or wait til next year"

as for the sarumann shishkabob thing, I don't really care how he dies, as long as it's by the hands of Wormtongue (and it sure as all heck better not be Frod or Gandalf.... Frodo would just be wrong and Gandalf would be too predictable)

as for the preview thing, thatwould be really cool. I halfway expected there to be one but was sadly disapointed and if I saw that, it would be viewing number 4 .... the most I've ever seen a movie in theaters.

where did you see that pic, Bropous? I wanna see! and I'm sure I'm not the only one

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:51 PM   #37
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I don't quite remember where I saw that particular pic, Hapira, but check out this site which has stills from the upcoming two movies:

http://www.quintessentialwebsites.co...gs/movieshots/

Looks like Fellowship MAY be up for a couple Oscars after all....one can only hope.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:18 PM   #38
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Alright, so I have to go see FotR again after the 24 . . .
I'm really hoping that they stick to the books . . . End TTT with that infamous cliffhanger, and leave in the Scouring of the Shire. If not, well . . . Where's the "annoyed fan mail" box for New Line Cinema?
Actually, I think that it'll be great anyways, but I'd like it a lot if they stick to the books.

http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_ttt.cfm
That is where the Rolling Spiked Wheelie Dealie (Saruman Shishkabob) info is from.
Although, I hope that it's a false rumour.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:48 PM   #39
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i think they should end ttt with sam thinking frodo is dead and then going off alone 2 mordor. they shouldn`t let on that frodo is alive just yet. that would really make every1 cry and people who hadn`t read the books (nuttas the lot of them) would be forced to read them to find out if he lives.
i`m going to cry neway though.

also, is the bit where pippin falls in battle in ttt?in the book i was in tears cos i thought he was dead. that would make evry1 cry in the film
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:24 PM   #40
Gerbil
Elf Lord

The Saruman impaled thing I'm 99% convinced is genuine now.
Sadly.
If it is, what it means they'll do to the scouring of the shire I don't know

And as for Pippin dying? Heh, I won't cry - I always thought he was annoying in the books and more so in the film!