Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2001, 08:30 PM   #21
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

There is a lot of discussion here about Balrogs & Nazgul. What is the difference between the two? This is one thing I have been confused about for a while. At first I thought they were two different names for the same thing, but now I'm not so sure.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 09:15 PM   #22
Graham
Sapling

Hi,
My first post
A Balrog -"Demon of Might" (or Valarauko) are demons of fire in the service of Morgoth and are different from the Nazgul (also Ulairi) who are the Ring-wraiths, the slaves of the Nine Rings of Men and chief servents of Sauron.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 09:22 PM   #23
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Weren't the balrogs maiar....I was positive they were maiar..
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 03:14 AM   #24
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yes, they were. Fallen Maiar, anyway; Demons rather than Angels. 'Maiar' is a complementary word, a beautiful one, it means 'the Beautiful'.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:37 PM   #25
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Interesting allusion to folklore regarding the Nazgul not being able to [or reluctant to, by any rate] cross water. Some legends say that a pursuing evil spirit cannot cross moving water. I don't know whether the presence of a bridge is supposed to counteract that effect.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote