Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2001, 02:52 PM   #21
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

well, it kinda does pertain to the topic! paranormal stuff, right?

I haven't a problem with wiccans. except the ones who watch shows like "charmed" and say they know everything about witchcraft!!!!

What're you passionate about, as far as witchcraft and paganism? of all my friends taht are into it, well, we all have different reasons.

Sorry for the off-topicness
Old 10-25-2001, 10:45 AM   #22
Reverie
Enting

Well, I wasn't raised with any religous structure (not complaining, it gave me freedom from typical constraints), so I set about, at an early age, looking for divinity.
Since I was born into a WASP enviroment, I mainly studied what I percieved as foriegn; Judaism and the major eastern religions. To this day I still find peace and comfort in the wry wisdom of the Jewish faith. I also find my meditations much more productive and satisfying if they are structured around the Zen practices of Buddist Taoism; not to mention yoga. However, these touched me on a more acedemic (sp?) level...they didn't stir my soul and give me the profound sence of rapture that I recieved from my first Wiccan mentor. I miss him dearly. The earth based religions give me roots and make me feel whole. I should've figured it out long before I did, I had two years training to be a forest ranger in H.S.! Guess I couldn't see the forest through the trees (had to say it).
Anyway, I just felt as though I had come home. I don't have many Wiccan friends, at least locally since I just moved, and I'm recently out of the 'broom closet' to my close-minded in-laws, so it's nice to talk to someone who understands!
Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 03:53 PM   #23
Varda
Elven Warrior

I had a friend who was wiccan but was originally from a Muslim background. His family came from Iran, and he wanted a religion that was tolerant, since he had experienced a lot in his life havign to do with intolerance. I just thought that was interesting. I really know very little about it myself, but I am always willing to learn new things.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:27 PM   #24
Reverie
Enting

That's great! One of my favorite quotes is Da Vinci's "I am still learning." He said this near the end of his life and that it was his greatest accomplishment.
I would recomend a website called fote.com (I'm pretty sure it's .com, try .org if that doesn't work). It stands for Friends of the Earth and they represent a lot of wiccans, pagans, Native Americans and other earth based religions. Since you don't know very much about earth based religions, it'd be a good place to start.
I don't know if you have specific Q's, but even if you do, I'd still suggest that you do some research on your own at first and then seek council. We are usually our own best teachers.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:41 AM   #25
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Anyone ever tried an Ouija (did I spell that right?) board, or something similar?

There is a strong temptation to ask questions of it like an oracle, but do not trust the Ouija 100%!! We do not know if the spirit in contact is benign or malicious, truthful or lying.... could lead to a wild goose chase, at least.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 12:00 PM   #26
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

I'm glad to see people finally coming out of their comfort zones! ANd reverie, i believe i am correct in saying that paganism, and all related religions are growing in popularity. i believe that paganism is now an officially recognized religion in the US. So there're probably more ppl like you (and me and any other pagans or wiccans and things) out there!
Old 10-28-2001, 12:03 PM   #27
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

As for ouija boards...

Those things freak me out. First, it is true that you never really know what it's about, or if the person next to you is faking it and what havve you. Plus, i can't stand those things. I had had one and it scared the poo out of me. but i guess we could devote a whole different thread to freakish experiences with ouija boards, right?
Old 10-28-2001, 04:28 PM   #28
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I believe that ouiji boards can work (although the one time that I was in the same room as one, it did absolutely nothing). People have done all sorts of funky tests, blindfolding the people using it and mixing up the alphabet, and they still worked. I'm just worried about who's on the other end. I've heard enough weird stories that they kind of freak me out.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:06 AM   #29
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

I even tried dowsing with a pendulum some time ago. You swing the pendulum, and if you're pointing at the thing you seek it goes in circles instead of side to side.

I thought it worked, but....... I started getting all sorts of weird dreams. That worried me.

I stopped when I realised the darn thing can't even find North, South, East or West with any reliability.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:56 AM   #30
Reverie
Enting

I can't say as I care much for ouiji boards.
I have a friend, who's a little to 'new-age-y' even by my standards!, that swears by dowsing.

I have begun constructing a new altar in my new home. It should be done soon, in time for Nov.'s full moon hopefully.

Normally, I am perfectly comfortable being solitary, but the prejudice and snubbing of my in-laws is making me wish I had a coven to retreat to!

I hope you're right, Darkhalcyon.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:18 AM   #31
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

I wish people wouldn't be so closed-minded, and just accept the fact that there are more than just christians out there, and that nothing is in clear black and white. I could rant for hours

I don't mean to insult anyone! really! So i'm sorry if i just made someone mad. I mean, it isn't a generalizatoin, and not everyone is like that. but the few that are really bug me, i guess

Last edited by Darkhalcyon : 10-29-2001 at 11:21 AM.
Darkhalcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 12:09 PM   #32
Reverie
Enting

Maybe I'm just having a lazy moment, I don't know, but I'm just so d*mn tired of debating the issue! I'm on the verge of whining here... Oh, what the hell.
I'm so sick of having to say things like you had to say 'sorry if I made someone mad', nothing of the kind has ever been said to me when my religious toes were stepped on! I don't want to be the bigger person. I don't want to have to prove that I'm not evil. I don't want to be on defense all the time, prepared to unleash a litany of examples for public inspection/judgement! Why are we expected to make excuses for ourselves? *sigh*

I too, could go on and have had to stop myself from typing biting comments. This really is beneath me. I've been stoically accepting all this for years, I guess we all need a good kvetch from time to time.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:22 PM   #33
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

Oh dear, well, i just wnat to be careful. I've really seriously insulted people in the past. (ex, the art controversy in NYC with Guiliani and all that)

Know what i've noticed? Being that i go to a pretty conservative WASP High School in an NYC, well-read people, and metal fans, seem to be more open-minded and stuff. (well, not all well-read people are metal fans, of course) especially those who like Fantasy! Isn't it amazing? we shall dominate the world one day once all the old stoic people die off.
Old 10-29-2001, 06:45 PM   #34
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Hmmmm

Darkwhat'syourname(sorry bout that if I was'nt lazy enough to scroll down then I'd spell your real name if I remebered how)I'm a Christian and I dont think that there are'nt any other relegions out there, in fact I know a kid who's wiccen. Ouija boards Tarot cards and all that is a load of cheese. They have no power whatsoever but only if you let...
I'll come back
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 10:39 PM   #35
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Righteousness becomes a real pain only when pride and arrogance enters into it.

That's why humility is so much of any religious tradition.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:42 PM   #36
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
If you let them have power over your life.

And what is so scary about a board that supossedly tells the future I'd like to know? And yes I have seen a Ouija board and I know what they look like and all that, but why do they scare you? No offense meant if any is taken from my post.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 10-31-2001, 09:15 PM   #37
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

well,i could explain but i'd look like a complete loon.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:26 PM   #38
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Oh come if you are a loon then we are all loons here.
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 11-03-2001, 01:07 AM   #39
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Ouiji boards aren't always about the future. From what I've heard, there's supposed to be spirits (often someone dead) talking through the board. Now if you don't find that creepy, then you are a very brave, or very foolish, person. Human beings are naturally afraid of the unknown to begin with.

About the whole insulting-religions thing: you don't have to apologize. I'd just like everyone to know that I don't get mad if you say something contrary to my religion, as long as you have a reason for saying it. If you tell me you don't like Christianity for such and such reasons, fine, it's called having a conversation. Just don't say "Christianity sucks" without anything to back it up; that's really immature and pointless. I think this is a reasonable policy to follow no matter what we're talking about.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 03:40 PM   #40
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Has anybody ever tried the Lord of the Rings Oracle? I stupidly bought it not knowing what it was, does it actually work?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote