Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2001, 04:10 PM   #21
juntel

Re: Planet of the Apes

well, i just dicovered it...
yeah, stuffy, amateurish, but sometimes funny...

... and i can't believe the movies that are rumored to be on project! (a-team? 6 billion dollar man? battlestar galactica remake? ... the worse was "She-Hulk"... at least the production was killed-off!)
Old 02-09-2001, 11:16 PM   #22
Film Hobbit

Rumors are a dime a dozen.

The Battlestar Galactica movie has been being pushed around by the people who own it for a long time, no one is really interested but they keep trying.

A-Team is probably going to actually happen, but probably with some different HACK cast and all modernized and basically ruined.

She-Hulk I woulndn't put much stock in unless Spiderman and the X-Men sequels do HUGE amounts of money.

6-Billion dollar man is more likely, and becomes even MORE likely if Spidey and X do well.

And the weirdest movie rumor going around right now is that there might be a live action Transformer Movie being made... and if anyone hear's any info on it, man go to my site and let me know, if its substantial I might even pay for it
Old 03-16-2001, 06:04 PM   #23
X Rogue

I used to watch the Battlestar Galactica series weekly in the seventies. Star Trek was being re-run locally then, but an hour after my bedtime. So that was my scifi fix in those days. Is Richard Hatch still involved with the movie efforts?
Old 03-17-2001, 11:27 PM   #24
juntel

Hatch? Is he the one who played Starpox?

(anduin's gonna kill me...)
Old 03-19-2001, 04:07 AM   #25
anduin

tsk, tsk....

*Anduin pulls a Phaser from her thigh holster and blasts juntel*
Old 03-20-2001, 09:22 PM   #26
X Rogue

Re: tsk, tsk....

:lol:
Nope, Dirk Benedict was Starbuck. Richard Hatch was Apollo.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:40 PM   #27
juntel

And who was the guy inside the robot that went: "bidy-bidy-bidy"...

... oh, euh... sorry, that was "Buck Rogers..."...

:lol:
Old 03-21-2001, 12:21 AM   #28
anduin

Juntel.....very funny. I know others like you.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:27 PM   #29
juntel

Oh?

Are they out of the asylum too?

Old 03-30-2001, 05:38 AM   #30
HotaruTomoe

I've heard about the remake, and personally I think it's a bad move. The movie won't be the same without Roddy's Dr. Cornelius.
Old 03-31-2001, 04:51 AM   #31
Film Hobbit

I'll drink to that.
Old 07-27-2001, 05:28 PM   #32
sickpup

Murdoc says that has an uncredited cameo in this movie. As the credits roll, wait for a minute and you'll see a split-second splice of his sexy mug. The Gorillaz also contribute sound effects, like explosions and guttural grunts. So don't miss your opportunity to see this rising star on the big screen. Go see the Planet of the Apes and watch the Gorillaz begin phase 2 of their plan for world domination! Oh, and in case you have no idea what the hell i'm talking about, go here:

www.heavy.com/musicplayer/gorillaz

Later.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:29 PM   #33
IronParrot

Planet of the Apes remake - IronParrot's review

I thought it was mediocre. Review:

Quote:
SUMMARY

In 2029, an astronaut (Mark Wahlberg) falls through an electromagnetic storm that transports him to a planet where humans are enslaved by apes.

RECOMMENDED FOR:

People who want to see Estella Warren run around in skimpy clothing.

REVIEW

Tim Burton's remake of Planet Of The Apes may be successful in shaking the image cast upon it by the shadow of the 1968 film, in being a totally fresh new look at a used concept. However, all these efforts to make it a film accessible to a modern sci-fi audience are not quite ambitious enough to push it to the level of greatness.

This is not the first time Tim Burton has attempted a darker, more modern realization of a sixties franchise. Batman, by far Burton's crowning achievement, re-visualized the franchise on film to a Gothic look more faithful to the comics, erasing all memory of the "pulp" of the sixties movie and television series. Planet Of The Apes did the same, but forgot about everything other than visuals.

The makeup effects, easily 2001's undisputed frontrunner for the Oscars without a single perceivable challenger with the possible exception of The Fellowship Of The Ring, go a long way to make the apes look like apes. Really, this film is asking us to believe in humans dressed up as apes who act somewhat like humans, with respect to sentience and civilization. However, what we really end up with are humans dressed up as apes who are bad actors.

Case in point: Tim Roth as one-dimensional simian villain General Thade, who just surpassed both James Woods' General Hein in Final Fantasy and Tcheky Karyo's Richard in Kiss Of The Dragon as Overacted Villain of the Year. And the others had excuses - Hein was animated, and Richard was a psycho. But here, we have to put up with an actor who is made up quite convincingly as an ape, but is totally unconvincing as well as somewhat annoying as an over-the-top "look Ma, I'm evil!" bad guy who is certainly angry, but not at all fearsome.

Visually, the design of the ape city exterior is most commendable, and it is a pity we see so little of it. As for the rest of the movie, the visual effects are on par with the average sci-fi film but nothing spectacular or notable. This is certainly not in any way an effects-filled action blockbuster - most of the action is uninvolving, and Estella Warren aside, nothing visual has a great deal of visceral impact.

However, two hours of largely plotless and ho-hum film are complemented by a neat little conclusion that is by itself greater than the rest of the movie. It is a pity that it is only a conclusion in the same vein as the closing shots of the better episodes of Sliders, because it evokes the feeling that the movie ends just when it is getting really good. In a way, such an ending begs for a sequel and simultaneously rejects the idea of one. That is all that can be said without being overly spoiling.

In conclusion, the new Planet Of The Apes is a mediocre film, and every positive trait it possesses is surpassed by at least one other movie in release this summer. Post-apocalyptic sci-fi? Go see A.I. - or if the action element is a necessity, Final Fantasy. Action and adventure along the same tone? Check if The Mummy Returns is still playing, but even Jurassic Park 3 is better. Planet Of The Apes does not offer anything that would qualify it as a moviegoer's priority.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:21 AM   #34
juntel

Re: Planet of the Apes remake - IronParrot's review

"such an ending begs for a sequel"

seems to be its only purpose; apart of course from trying to top the original movie's ending (and failing at that).

"simultaneously rejects the idea of one"

nah! do you really think they care about consistency?
a franchise is born...

But, I did like the irony in Thade's father's last message to his son...
Old 07-29-2001, 02:40 PM   #35
RKittle

I saw a report on TV last night that said there is already a sequel in planning for this very so-so movie. I rated it 3 out of 5 as an adventure/action flick.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:34 AM   #36
Film Hobbit

I loved it. Good in every way except Wahlberg who was VERY weak and nearly unravled the film with his ho-hum acting. Full review on FilmHobbit.com

I'm glad to see that at least all of you here were smart enough to understand the ending. I'm amazed at the stupidity of the American public which is unable to understand a twist ending that is CLEARLY spelled out for them in an inscription which they were all apparently to lazy or illiterate to read.
Old 09-13-2001, 06:29 PM   #37
Sakata
Elven Warrior

That was by far the STUPIDEST movie I have ever seen!!! Major waste of time and money!

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:33 PM   #38
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I never cared for Tim Burton movies and he absolutely ruined a classic.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:28 AM   #39
mirrille
Elven Warrior

This movie was so bad that it put me off movies for months. I went to see it in a theatre, so I got ripped off for $8 (it was a matinee. If I had paid full price, I would really be upset). It was a choice between that and Jurassic Park III, so I guess it wouldn't have made much difference which one I went to.
I can't believe anyone could have bothered to make something so insipid. I really don't know how this movie happened. And when the DVD came out, I warned my dad (he's into special effects movies, so he's very vulnerable to these things) against it, but he didn't believe me. aii... And now we have a copy of this huge mistake in our house. It's kind of funny.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote