Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2000, 04:10 AM   #21
IronParrot

Re: books

Yes, Greenwitch, while really wonderful, is rather brief and is more of an interlude of sorts.

And I agree with you - the cover to Over Sea, Under Stone sucks.
Old 07-23-2000, 02:12 PM   #22
bmilder

Hmm, maybe I ought to get this series...
Old 07-23-2000, 08:01 PM   #23
IronParrot

Yes, you ought to. I'm curious as to what you'd think of it...
Old 07-24-2000, 02:35 AM   #24
Niffiwan

It's definetly worth reading, but it's definetly under what I'd classify as an "imperfect fantasy series".

******* WARNING MINOR SPOLIER AHEAD; IF YOU DIDN'T READ THIS SERIES YET THEN DON'T READ ON*******

I mean, I'm just starting the third book now, and I really don't like the way it falls into place with the rest of the series; it got the award because I believe that the critics read it on its own. However, when combined with the first three books, it's de-suspensfull; you already know that Will is an Old One from the second book, and the rhyme from the third book. So to have him suddenly forget all of that and come out like he was when he first started out, it just doesn't fit; it really makes the beginning of the book boring; you just keep thinking that we already went over this in the second book, why go over it again?
I think that instead of the third book somewhat repeating Will's intensity of struggles in the second book, she should have kept him his powers, and made him battle against an even greater dark force. Like in acting on stage; instead of using your normal loudness for your voice when you talk normally and lowering it when you talk softly, you have to "talk softly" at the volume of your normal voice, and "talk normally" twice as loud.
Old 07-24-2000, 03:31 PM   #25
IronParrot

Personally, that never bothered me because I always thought of the third book as Jane's story...
Old 07-24-2000, 08:45 PM   #26
Zuliah

Re: The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper

I read that book, awhile back. I only read the first book, but that was really a great book.
Old 07-25-2000, 06:02 PM   #27
Niffiwan

Welcome to Entmoot! (am I first....?)

Well, let me tell you... the first book sucks in comparison with the most of rest of the series...
Old 08-22-2000, 05:49 AM   #28
Niffiwan

IP: I didn't mean Silver on the Tree, I meant the Grey King! The begginning was just a bit dissapointing...
Also, I recently finished reading the series and I think that that ending was the only good way to end the book; I accepted it and actually liked it. I'd say that the last is my favorite book, probably.
Old 09-21-2000, 02:17 PM   #29
GlaurungTheGold

Hmmm... I read that series back in 7th grade, did a book report on it, but I seem to have forgotten most of what it's about

maybe i should reread it... argh, another set of books on my longs likst of books to read...
Old 11-04-2000, 01:30 PM   #30
dunedain lady

I'm reading the series currently and I love it!!! I'm in the middle of the Grey King right now. I really like all the Welsh bits thrown in. And I like the prophesy...when the dark comes rising, six shall turn it back...I've got a friend who set it to music. Only problem is, it's such a perfect tune for the poem that it gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. It's an old french folk song whose name I can't remember.
Old 11-05-2000, 02:02 AM   #31
Elanor

I would love to hear the tune. I loved the welsh bits too! Before I read it I knew next to nothing about Wales, and right after I read it my family actually went there. I didn't see any of the places mentioned but I tried out Bran's pronunciation guide on the road signs.
Old 03-03-2001, 03:10 AM   #32
biriwilg

wood fire iron bronze water stone

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long
wood from the burning, stone out of song
fire from the candle-ring, water from the thaw
Six signs the circle, and the grail gone before.

There!
Old 03-03-2001, 06:45 AM   #33
Elanor

Re: wood fire iron bronze water stone

I loved all the books. I have a spoiler too, because I want to talk about the ending. So if you haven't read it don't look below.

START OF SPOILER

At the end, after everything is solved, Bran, Jane, Barney, and Simon all forget what has happened. Maybe I'm not completely clear on this, but it seems terrible to me for them to forget everything they've been through. Bran forgets who he is, and they all just go off into the blue. Will's the only one who remembers what has happened to him, as was prophesied by the line "five shall return and one go alone". But what will he do now? Another adventure? Live forever in boredom and go out to stop crime like Spiderman? It seems to me that all of the "evil" has been conquered except for of course the ordinary maliciousness of humans. This is why good/evil fantasy bothers me sometimes.

Maybe it's because I'm a Christian, and my view of good and evil is very different from this. There is an ultimate evil but it can't be conquered by cute little magic signs and poems. We have to conquer it every day by resisting temptations. We are all in a sense "Old Ones", for we have the power to battle evil, be enlightened by good, and learn things not apparent to most people at first glance. If it is necessary and we have the faith we can do miracles. I still read fantasy for its good points but some writers really don't get the concept of good and evil.

And the forgetting is just a wrong move for this type of literature anyway. One thing I love about the Redwall books, for example, is how at the end of every adventure they sit around and have a feast, and tell stories about the heroic deeds and the memories they have in common. After every true adventure the heroes should be remembered, and should certainly remember what they have done!

END OF SPOILER
Old 05-09-2001, 08:49 AM   #34
easterlinge

Re: wood fire iron bronze water stone

I also wonder about Will stanton. He's still got his powers. I think he's in for an interesting time as he gets older. There are other magics and powers lurking around in the world.

Apart from Will and Merriman, were any of the other Old Ones mentioned? What will they be doing now?
Old 07-01-2001, 06:53 PM   #35
SignSeeker

The Dark is Rising Sequence is DA BOMB! Although, i think the ending is kinda sad. But, that's my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, i am a girl, not a boy, even though my sn is SignSeeker. that just sounded cool to me.
Old 07-14-2001, 05:47 PM   #36
SignSeeker

When the Dark comes rising, Six shall turn it back
Three from the circle, three from the track
Wood, bronze, iron; water fire stone
Five shall return and 1 go alone,

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long
Wood from the burning, stone out of song
Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw
Six Signs the circle and the grail gone before

Fire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold
Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old
Power from the Greenwitch, lost beneath the sea
All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.

i did this from memory,s o forgive kme for any mistakes
Old 07-15-2001, 03:35 PM   #37
webwizard333

I personally liked the ending, maybe because if they had remembered they would not have been able to live a completely happy life, knowing that all evil lies in the hearts of men (and women ).
Old 07-30-2001, 12:08 AM   #38
EZ Board Nomad

And don't forget:

"On the day of the dead, when the year too dies,
Must the youngest open the oldest hills
Through the door of the birds, where the breeze breaks.
There fire shall fly from the raven boy,
And the silver eyes that see the wind,
And the Light shall have the harp of gold.

By the pleasant lake the Sleepers lie,
On Cadfan's Way where the kestrels call;
Though grim from the Grey King shadows fall,
Yet singing the golden harp shall guide
To break their sleep and bid them ride.

When light from the lost land shall return,
Six Sleepers shall ride, six Signs shall burn,
And where the midsummer tree grows tall
By Pendragon's sword the Dark shall fall.

Y maent yr mynddoedd yn canu,
ac y mae'r arglwyddes yn dod.

An excellent series, you should definately check it out bmilder!