Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
katya
Elven Maiden

How important in buying soil? I think I might try growing some things in pots or something but I'm not sure about soil and what kind of pots are good and all that. You can get soil for $1 a bag at Family Dollar and you can get it for a lot more than that if you get better kinds. What do you think?

Still wondering about the watering too. It's been raining constantly though so I haven't really watered much.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It depends on what plants you want to keep in pots. Cacti need a different sort of soil than for instance tulips.

We seldom buy soil these days because we have a compost heap in the back of the garden and can get good soil from there. We only buy soil for the special plants like the cacti and mediterrenean plants.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
katya
Elven Maiden

I just thinned out my carrots. They seem happier already. I don't have super high hopes for edible carrots but I'm going to do my best for them. I've been neglecting them somewhat.

My alyssum (finally figured out what they're called) have cute little white flowers on them but they are definitely too close together. I tried to thin them out a little bit at first, now I'm just pulling out the plants that aren't growing as tall. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to do that stuff. I put way too many seeds because the seeds are tiny and hard to separate out....

Aaaand my cosmos are really tall and thick and strong looking, but no flowers yet. Internet says they bloom in July-September. I'm not sure about these specific ones though but I guess I'll just keep waiting for them. They look pretty good in the spot they are in too so I think they'll look really nice with flowers on them.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hooray for gardening! I'm glad your plants are doing well.

Yes, the basic idea as far as I've always been told with thinning is that you pull out the weakest plants, leaving the stronger ones... something about how because they are stronger than the ones directly around them, that means they have a predisposition to be stronger, so those are the ones you want to keep.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote