Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Sounds reasonable.

In any case - it's important the intelligence agencies have someone they have to answer to so they don't abuse their power (or someone who can put them on trial if they do).
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Awlright, Hobbit, but just because you twisted my arm in a PM ...

I hate these types of surveys because my response will be very inaccurate, depending upon how the question is understood, but I"ve been a student and I know you just need answers to put in your paper! so here goes - with the caveat that I could probably answer a-e for any of them depending upon a lot of things (ok I'll shut up now)

Sex: wonderful - oh, female
race: Elven/Caucasian
Religious Preference: the truth otherwise known as Christianity
Political Affiliation: generally Republican

1. a

2. b (and if there's something going on - not just for the heck of it)

3. d (that's life - some things are classified for the better good of the populace, IMHO, speaking as a person who has held a top secret clearance in radar)

4. b (again, with reasonable cause)

5. b (it's public - get over it)

6. b

7. d (this just seems silly - sorry)

8. b (somewhat - I would say this for ANY speaker - if someone continually VERBALLY and PHYSICALLY interrupts, then THEY are restricting the free speech of the speaker and should be warned and removed if they don't follow the warning.)

9. b (apply, yes)

10. b (somewhat - a tricky question, since we don't have access to classified info)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good point about surveys R*an. I had trouble with question 1, for example, because I wondered what civil liberties?

HOBBIT, I hope you get the 150 (!!) responses you need!

I think this thread could turn into an interesting discussion thread on limiting (or not limiting) civil liberties during wartime.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

hmm, I guess liberties that civilians have would be a way to put it.

yeah, 150 responses - sheesh! Good luck!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #25
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I think this thread could turn into an interesting discussion thread on limiting (or not limiting) civil liberties during wartime.
first we'd have to define what "wartime" is... the way it is currently being defined in the US, we are basically in a perpetual state of war as long as any terrorists exist in the world (i.e. forever)

so we are really defining civil liberties for all time
Old 12-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #26
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I was starting to fill this poll out, but to be frank, I really do not feel comfortable filling out this kind of poll online. Who's to say that the gov't doesn't find & take great interest in little online blogettes like this? Forget it. I'll keep my opinions and my personal profile to myself. Big Brother's always watching. You want to talk about civil liberties being threatened, well you're damn right they are. In a huge, insidious way.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #27
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Thanks all for taking the time to do my poll.

I know that several of the questions are pretty ambiguous. It is up to how you interpret the questions - which is what polls are all about.

For #8 - what i was going for was without any interruptions verbally or physically - just simply being removed from the audience because you disagree with what the president has to say. Being thrown out because you could be a disturbance.

But please don't change your responses, because that is the nature of polls. You answer based on how you interpret the question.

You can't read my mind to see what was intended.
------------------------
The poll results and anaylsis is due friday (so the latest i can take polls would be thusday evening), along with several other components of this project. It is a big project worth 2 test grades.

So far I have about 80 responses to my poll.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #28
HOBBIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I was starting to fill this poll out, but to be frank, I really do not feel comfortable filling out this kind of poll online. Who's to say that the gov't doesn't find & take great interest in little online blogettes like this? Forget it. I'll keep my opinions and my personal profile to myself. Big Brother's always watching. You want to talk about civil liberties being threatened, well you're damn right they are. In a huge, insidious way.
I understand what you are saying. This poll is completely optional.

Since you don't feel comfortable openly posting your answers open forum, you can private message them to me. And no one else reads my private messages but me. If you still don't feel comfortable with that - then that is fine as well. Your choice

If the government was monitoring this, I would be very flattered.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 12-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #29
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Well, be flattered 'cause they probably are. Anything to do with civil liberties questions or terrorism will be caught in the nets of the gov't internet trollers... I'll PM you a quick poll answer. 'Course, they could spy on your PMs just as easily as read this Entmoot, but... well anyway. I'll PM it 4 U.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 AM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
hmm, I guess liberties that civilians have would be a way to put it.

yeah, 150 responses - sheesh! Good luck!
Yeah, but what liberties? That was my conundrum.

Brownie, perpetual state of war? Yeah, I guess the war on terrorism isn't going to be wrapped up any time soon. o_o

Hey Big Brother, monitor this! *moons*
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 12-14-2005, 03:30 AM   #31
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Good point about surveys R*an. I had trouble with question 1, for example, because I wondered what civil liberties?
Me too. I think some restriction of some liberties is inevitable in wartime, but I wasn't sure that the primary/sole purpose of this was always security. I ended up confused and with an urge to launch into an explanation of the defence power in the Australian constitution...so I put c

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
For #8 - what i was going for was without any interruptions verbally or physically - just simply being removed from the audience because you disagree with what the president has to say. Being thrown out because you could be a disturbance.

But please don't change your responses, because that is the nature of polls. You answer based on how you interpret the question.
In that case my answer would definitely be e. But I haven't changed it
Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #32
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Hey Big Brother, monitor this! *moons*
LOL

I think that's what John Ashcroft called Total Buttocks Awareness
Old 12-18-2005, 01:46 AM   #33
HOBBIT

Once again, I thank you all for taking my poll.

I no longer need any more responses.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #34
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Civil Liberties During Wartime

Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: Caucasian
Religious Preference: Other
Political Affiliation: Republican
1) a
2) What part of the Patriot Act are you referring to, here?
3) e
4) a
5) Biased wording in the question. "Without probable cause" is not the way the Patriot Act works. Those who desire to get library records first must gain permission from a federal court, and that court can only give them permission if they find that receiving the records is: 1, likely to be helpful in stopping clandestine intelligence activity, 2, likely to be helpful in stopping international terrorists. Furthermore, this right is reviewed by Congress every six months. So saying that there review "without probable cause," I would disagree with. However, in answering your question: "Should the government have the right to access our library information in the way it does in the Patriot Act?" I would answer yes. Source for my data: http://www.lifeandliberty.gov/subs/u_myths.htm So my final answer is: a
6) b
7) Poorly worded question. Some are, and some aren't. However, in general, my answer to this would be: d
8) b
9) a
10) a

On the whole, a very fine poll! Good luck with your assignment, HOBBIT .

EDIT: DOH! Mine doesn't get included . Too late . Too bad . Oh well, it was fun responding, anyway .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-18-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #35
HOBBIT

this is my commercial - http://tmilder.homestead.com/files/P...Commercial.wmv

Old 12-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #36
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

There is no point in defeating the talibans in Afganistan, if we allow the US-totalitarians to win

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 12-18-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:01 AM   #37
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

That was a fun commercial Hobbit
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #38
HOBBIT

There is no more need for this topic to remain open. Again, I thank you all for your responses.

I am now finishing up this huge project. It is due tomorrow. Ugh.

Feel free to view my commercial, which I linked to a couple posts up.

I hope that this inspires you to create a topic to discuss civil liberties/civil liberties limited during wartime.

Closed Thread