Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #21
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

The first Tremors, I was only about 6 or 7 when I first saw it and the giant, mutated, man-eating earthworms freaked me out. For several years afterwards I felt uneasy when not standing on rock or cement and had nightmares about being chased by those things. Ick.

Strangely enough I didn't sevelop of fear of normal earthworms. Funny how fear works...

Godzilla used to cause occaisional nightmares too, and those were worse because I always preferred the movies in which Godzilla was the protective monster, so when he was evil in the nightmares there was always a sense of confusion and betrayal.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #22
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I appreciate your advice; it would never seem to be that type of movie from the review.
BTW, I only go or see movies, to be entertained and have since that time years ago, never gone to be scared, intimidated nor horrified. It's nicer that way.
I think its basically a temperament thing. I really enjoy any kind of rush. And the sudden spike of adrenaline you get from a good scary movie is fun to me. Losing yourself to your primal emotions is fun. The whole idea is to not be in control. The movie is the vehicle toward that. Thats probably also why I like roller coasters and such so much.

I really like to push myself to maximize the psychological impact of something frightening. This is why Ill actually watch a movie like The Ring or They at 2 in the morning in the basement with all the lights off alone in my house. Because it adds to the terror! And I want to see how far I can push myself. Its a thrill. Not for everybody though. I once watched the Blair Witch Project alone at night with a rain storm going on outside only to have the power go out on me for hours.... eeesh... Nothing left to do but think about whats out there in the dark making those strange scratching sounds...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #23
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

hmm, all the movies mentioned so far are pretty scary but nobody mentioned The Exorcist.. now THAT was a scary movie.. after watching it i was scared of going to sleep for a month... the idea of a child being possessed by a demon is horrifying!!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #24
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the changeling with george c. scott is another scary older horror movie... well-done too
Old 11-06-2005, 01:55 AM   #25
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthewind
hmm, all the movies mentioned so far are pretty scary but nobody mentioned The Exorcist.. now THAT was a scary movie.. after watching it i was scared of going to sleep for a month... the idea of a child being possessed by a demon is horrifying!!
We used to go to the drive in...(old term for younger mooters), and laugh our butts off at the "Excorcist"!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:58 AM   #26
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I only go or see movies, to be entertained and have since that time years ago, never gone to be scared, intimidated nor horrified. It's nicer that way.
To me, being scared by a movie is being entertained!!!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:31 AM   #27
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
Well, I don't watch too many scary movies, but I just watched The Shining and that was pretty scary (the book was scarier though) When I was younger Jumanji scared me a lot.
Yes, the Shining definitely, or what I saw of it (I don't remember it, at any rate, except being scared), and The Others. And when I was like four, Jurassic Park.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #28
Jabberwock
Enting

This will sound absolutely stupid but Mr Mom scared the pants off me. I must explain. When I was about 10 I went to a birthday party and we watched Mr Mom and then later we watched some bloody, deranged zombie/cannibal movie we weren't suppose to watch and somehow during the night my overactive imagination meshed the two movies such that I had nightmares about a maneating vacuum cleaner for months after that. I'm over it now and I can even vacuum the floor without any ill effects.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 AM   #29
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

LOL!

The Shining was alright. Overall it didn't scare me so much, but that was probably because I had already seen all the famously scary scenes from it ("Here's Johnny!" and the blood splashing down the hall). But yeah, I still don't think any other movie has creeped me out with just one part: when the man in the kitchen says "Ya want some ice cream, Sport?" It wasn't even that weird, it just... blew my mind. I don't know how to explain it. I wanted to yell. I was thoroughly freaked out. Then the rest of the movie was mediocre.

*shudder* I've got the jeeblies.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #30
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringbearer
We used to go to the drive in...(old term for younger mooters), and laugh our butts off at the "Excorcist"!
really??? i still can't watch that movie alone even though i think i've seen it half a dozen times at least.. you've got guts!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #31
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

has anybody seen "The Frighteners?" it wasn't really scary but at the time i saw it, it left a very profound effect upon me... anyone over here shares my feelings??
Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #32
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
has anybody seen "The Frighteners?" it wasn't really scary but at the time i saw it, it left a very profound effect upon me... anyone over here shares my feelings??
Isn't that the one with Michael J. Fox? It's a comedy for pete's sake.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:53 PM   #33
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

like i said Spock, IT WASN'T REALLY SCARY but it still scared me... please excuse the rambling.. i don't think i'm making myself clear!!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #34
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
like i said Spock, IT WASN'T REALLY SCARY but it still scared me... please excuse the rambling.. i don't think i'm making myself clear!!
OK, but saying it affected you in a profound way means it affected you NOT by laughing...and that's not usually a word used to describe how comedy interacts with people.
mutters to himself, signs off line and goes looking for the Valerian Root
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #35
ofthewind
Hobbit

otw

ok.. now this's getting silly.. i was 12 years old when i watched the movie, alone... it scared the living lights out of me at the time, but now when i look back i'm like "THIS scared me??" just sharing the feeling i had when i watched the flick for the first time!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #36
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

"Sokath, his eyes uncovered"
Old 11-16-2005, 12:27 AM   #37
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Psycho had some good shocks in it...it's a classic after all! In all, no. But the shower scene and the stairs scene
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #38
Draken
Elf Lord

I'm with "The Haunting" (1963 version) crowd. I've never seen use of light and sound and camera angles put together in such an unsettling way. Absolutely brilliant. As for the 1999 version... very Zeta Jones. Enough said.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #39
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

M. Night Shyamalan's Signs did a pretty good number on me. The scariest 'jump' part to me was the scene involving that Culkin kid and the coal chute in the basement. But by far the creepiest moment in the entire movie doesn't involve a 'jump' tactic at all -- it's the scene where they show the home video of the birthday party and the alien calmly steps across the alley, looking right at the camera. No quick camera cuts, no massive orchestra hit, just a bass drum accent. Freaked me out massively. My internal reaction was something like Joaquin Phoenix's.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #40
Melfena
Elven Warrior

When i first saw The Wall, for some reason it REALLY scared me, i'm not so sure why anymore, but i think it had something to do with the kids falling into the meat grinder and the cartoons. Now i love the movie though. ^^