Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #21
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....."some of my best friends are......oh wait, they aren't"....
Old 09-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
...For physically, I (1.) originated from an intimate moment my parents had ...
heehee!

Reminds me of something that happened a few days ago - I gave my husband a little note that basically said, in code, "see ya in our room after the kiddos are in bed! " I can get those things by the two youngest, but my oldest son knows what's up now! He told me, "I know what was in the note you gave Dad, because of how he smiled!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Hi there! Oh, soo many reactions. *gladly prepares fingers and tired brain for another long post* since I can't quote more people in one post (can I?) I'll write your names...

:Jonathan: I know I went away a bit from RÃ*an's posts - got carried away by my thoughts... And yes, my life is affected by not having something sure behind me - the best thing I can do is to rely on my own conscience. Anyway, I'm trying to find my place, with more or less success.

:Insidious Rex: maybe I should have put quotation marks, and write "proofs" just as you did. Average people can have only rumours in most of the cases... but one thing I hear more and more of: the human race's roots are far more ancient than the accepted theory says. The problem with evolution theories is that a new discovery can turn the whole thing upside down, and I can imagine that for that reason, the discoveries not fitting were hushed up. Wonder if in our lifetime there will be any changes.

:brownjenkins: sometimes we need to talk about big questions too... though most of the time I don't feel brave enough to join such a conversation... but this morning I did, and am glad that I finally did post my thoughts. I had one very good friend with whom I could share thoughts like this, but we're not in that good terms anymore - and sometimes I really miss him...

:Lotesse: all I can say is thanks

Hmm, and now I'm going to enjoy real life and tiny happy things and caring people... might be piping up if again I feel unsure about big questions
Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, lots of great thoughts and discussion!

Will have to get to it later - as Christopher Robin said, "backson bisy"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #25
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
:brownjenkins: sometimes we need to talk about big questions too... though most of the time I don't feel brave enough to join such a conversation... but this morning I did, and am glad that I finally did post my thoughts. I had one very good friend with whom I could share thoughts like this, but we're not in that good terms anymore - and sometimes I really miss him...
i agree... just look at my post count

share anytime
Old 09-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #26
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel

:Insidious Rex: maybe I should have put quotation marks, and write "proofs" just as you did. Average people can have only rumours in most of the cases... but one thing I hear more and more of: the human race's roots are far more ancient than the accepted theory says. The problem with evolution theories is that a new discovery can turn the whole thing upside down, and I can imagine that for that reason, the discoveries not fitting were hushed up. Wonder if in our lifetime there will be any changes.
Well Im not sure what discoveries have turned evolution "upside down" really. Did you have some in mind? Any time there has been new discoveries it has been applied TO the theory not cause for rejection of the entire theory (or having it "hushed up"). Thats how science works. As for our own ancestors we certianly see science at work in that area. We have had a half dozen highly significant discoveries in the last 50 years or so that have help us upate our concept of where we came from and how we evolved. Just because we had these new discoveries doesnt mean that we needed to reject the main theory outright. Nothing in these discoveries would have been cause to do that. What would have been cause to do that is sneaking up on God creating a living being or on aliens seading the ocean or something. We havent see that so far however so theres no need to reject in whole form these theories. In fact what we DO see points countless times over to something along the lines of evolution. Do we have it mastered and all figured out yet? Of course not. But we have filled in quite a bit of it and its looking pretty solid all around.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #27
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

could you list these "discoveries" that revolutionized evolution? it would be interesting to see
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 AM   #28
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Why not merge this thread as well with the evolution & creationism thread?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 09-08-2005 at 01:54 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:29 AM   #29
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well Im not sure what discoveries have turned evolution "upside down" really. Did you have some in mind? Any time there has been new discoveries it has been applied TO the theory not cause for rejection of the entire theory (or having it "hushed up"). Thats how science works. As for our own ancestors we certianly see science at work in that area. We have had a half dozen highly significant discoveries in the last 50 years or so that have help us upate our concept of where we came from and how we evolved. Just because we had these new discoveries doesnt mean that we needed to reject the main theory outright. Nothing in these discoveries would have been cause to do that. What would have been cause to do that is sneaking up on God creating a living being or on aliens seading the ocean or something. We havent see that so far however so theres no need to reject in whole form these theories. In fact what we DO see points countless times over to something along the lines of evolution. Do we have it mastered and all figured out yet? Of course not. But we have filled in quite a bit of it and its looking pretty solid all around.
*gulps* I feel like I'm not prepared enough to respond appropriately (sp?) ...
I have to admit, concerning these things, it is my aunt's impression on me that shows through, but I just couldn't remember exactly what she said to me when with my cousin they were here at the weekend. Promise next time I'll ask her. But... I am eager to learn, maybe finally someone could make it clearer to me... agree with rohirrimTR, could you list us some? *looks humbly towards IR*

And with that we would be totally away into evolution, I'm afraid...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:19 AM   #30
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
thars a hole heap of thunkin goin on 'bout that right now
Old 09-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #31
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
thars a hole heap of thunkin goin on 'bout that right now
just say no
Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #32
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I would but no one ever listens to me
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #33
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Hmm.. only took one page to turn this into the typical Entmoot EV/CR thread?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #34
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I KNOW! Why does everything even remotely philosophical around here have to end up being a battle between the Christian thinkers only? Can't we have a secular discussion thread, is that even possible?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #35
Snowdog

I guess not.
I get tired of both crowds trying to "out discuss" each other.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #36
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I KNOW! Why does everything even remotely philosophical around here have to end up being a battle between the Christian thinkers only? Can't we have a secular discussion thread, is that even possible?
'cause rÃ*an likes to start new threads on what basically boils down to the same subject

and i can't help but respond
Old 09-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #37
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Can't we have a secular discussion thread, is that even possible?
What we most often have here is a circular discussion.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #38
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex

Ummm... I. Rex, are you debating the God versus evolution thing here, or am I crazy? O.K., don't answer the second part - I may be a little crazy, but really - think about it, you sound as if perhaps what you're saying belongs in like 2 or 3 other threads bewsides this one. Not tryna rain on your verbal parade, or anything; I'm just sayin'...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #39
Snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
'cause rÃ*an likes to start new threads on what basically boils down to the same subject

and i can't help but respond
... which is why I usually avoid (note post count) the multiple Creation/Evolution threads here as the same players are usually involved saying the same things in which I usually then leave the thread as it carries on for pages and pages... I hear ya Mia...

... and Yes, it is a 'circular discussion' !
Old 09-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #40
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
no, no, NO! It's about implications, logical deductions, etc. that can be drawn from what a person believes his/her origins are and that affect our every day choices, esp. in what is usually called moral behavior. Implications/deductions that are valid, invalid, well-supported, and otherwise, and why we think they are valid, invalid, well-supported, and otherwise.

I don't think people think enough about why they do things, and I think it's good to think more, and to be willing to support your reasons behind things, and to let other people question them, and to learn about what others think. So this thread is available for those that want to do that. I do NOT want this to be an evidence thread - I'm tired of that and do NOT want to discuss it here. Anyone that wants to discuss actual evidence, please do it on the other threads.