Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #21
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I disagree with you that it's "Better to be average in a renowned school than the best in an average school"...if your a big fish in a little pond you might get more attention from the faculty.
Well, it really depends. There are some big name firms (e.g. in consulting) for which what I say is true, but I can imagine that there are other situations in which what you say is true.

Quote:
Something else about Ivy Leagues...just because Mr. Famous teaches Course 304 doesn't mean he really really teaches it. Plenty of TA's and other folks who do the real work.
I am not trying to argue, but I want to make sure that the correct inforamtion is out there. At Yale, lectures are taught by professors, TAs teach sessions. Usually the ratio is 3.5hrs with prof. 1hrs with TA (plus office hour). Almost always (but not always) the TAs are advanced PhD students who actually know what they teach upside-down, inside-out (in the interest of full disclosure I have to say that I was a TA).
I know that languages are an exception since they are mostly taught by PhD students.

Anyway, I wrote all this just for information. I don't want to push anybody in any direction because I truly believe that the best choice is to go to a place where you really want to go.

Quote:
My dad's new advice: Don't go in debt over music. Chemical engineering? Computer science? Sure...but not music.
You dad's advice is quite smart, provided it is not taken simplistically. When going into debt you have to figure out how long it will take you to repay it, how much it will cost you in interests and what percentage of your earnings will be taken up to repay the debt-installement each month. All this is greatly influenced by how much you will be earning after you graduate. It follows that you can go more in debt if major in a subject that gives you access to more remunerative jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
2. I would NOT go with The Wizard from Milan 's advice, no offense.
Go to the school that is the best fit for you. Who cares what others think?
No offence taken. And I actually agree strongly with you that Mercutio should not care what others think but do the best for himself. As a now out-gay who has been in the closet for many years, I learnt at a very high price that doing what you really want to do is the only important thing in life.
I gave the advice I gave, not because I think Mercutio should care about what people think, but because I think that people should be aware of some job market conditions when they make their choices

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 08-22-2005 at 10:16 AM.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #22
Gabrielle Day
Sapling

It is really important to do (and go) where you want, and especially where you'll be happy. I'm also looking for colleges to transfer too, and hoping that this semester will be my last at junior college. (oh please oh please oh please) I've found that it's important to keep all your options open and look at places you normally wouldn't consider. You never know what you'll find. But...avoiding debt is good, too. My friend wanted to go to graduate school in London but decided not too because she didn't want to be forty thousand dollars in debt next year. She really wanted to go, but when she has her masters she plans to get a job over there. So...hopefully she'll get what she wants in the long run.

I don't know if any of you have been to this website: http://fastweb.monster.com/
It's really helpful in locating scholarships outside of the schools, and will narrow the scholarships down by your specifications. (ie: music major, etc.)
Gabrielle Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:03 AM   #23
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
I've been reading a lot about Wheaton College. That's considered one of the top Christian colleges academically, and they have a wonderful music conservatory. It's in suburban Chicago.
I know some people who go to Wheaton. Don't recall the details, but I think there's some kind of Tolkien connection there... (like maybe they have his desk... some other things - not certain anymore)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #24
Mercutio

They have the Marion Wade Center, with tons of Inkling stuff (Tolkien, Sayers, Chesterton, etc.)

Gabrielle Day- I'm already signed up at fastweb

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #25
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I was just accepted to Univ of Colorado's (@ Denver) Masters of Engineering program / spring '06 (GIS option) in the Civil Eng. Dept.....

Anyone familiar with this program or college or the university in general?

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #26
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Make sure you check out the social scene and see how people live. This can make a big difference on how well you do emotionally, and on your grades. My suggestion for authenticity (you can't always trust a nostalgic alum) is to go on campus, pretend to be a student , and follow groups to their favorite hangouts. Then observe, ask questions, etc.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #27
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I have now applied to 7 colleges. Should hear from 1st one in November - by thanksgiving. Then some in december. I should hear from almost all by the end of January.

I applied all non-binding Early Action when I could. 6 out of 7 are early action

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #28
Mercutio

I'm applying to five colleges: Grove City, Messiah, Gordon (Mass), Calvin, and Bethel. A couple of them have "early action," others have dates in Nov./Dec. by which the application fee is waived. I'll have most done next month. For music scholarships and programs I need to audition some places and make a recording for others.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #29
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Good luck with that! I'm glad I only had to apply to one university, and was pretty much sure I'd get in.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #30
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Last week I got accepted to the University of Vermont and the other day I got into Rutgers.

It is great to already have college acceptances.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #31
Mercutio

Yes

I'm also applying to Houghton...that's not on the previous list.

Last edited by Mercutio : 08-19-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #32
Janny
The Blobbit

*bumb*

The joy of college application has come to Britain also. I have applied to:
Brasenose College, Oxford
Warwick
Bristol
Imperial College London
University College London
Reading

And today I got an interview invitation for Oxford.

In Britain, this is all kept in the same system by UCAS, so no application is made directly to colleges. Does something similar happen in your system?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM   #33
Mercutio

In the U.S. we individually apply directly to whichever colleges we are interested in. The colleges individually determine who they want to accept.

Most often this means completely different applications and essays for each school...however there is something called the "Common Application" that a lot of secular schools accept. So some people don't have to fill out as much.

Except for me of course--always making more work .

I have three applications sent off, and two almost done (both due Dec. 1, though )

(is 'whichever' a word?)

I like your sig

Last edited by Mercutio : 10-30-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:15 PM   #34
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
You dad's advice is quite smart, provided it is not taken simplistically. When going into debt you have to figure out how long it will take you to repay it, how much it will cost you in interests and what percentage of your earnings will be taken up to repay the debt-installement each month. All this is greatly influenced by how much you will be earning after you graduate. It follows that you can go more in debt if major in a subject that gives you access to more remunerative jobs
I don't think 'don't go into debt over music' is good advice. This would only apply to someone who doesn't really want to study music.

Forget about future careers for a moment. What do you want to study in depth? What exites and inspires you? University is really hard, so you will have a rough time and if you're just in it for the money or what you perceive will lead to the best career, it will be even harder to excel. (Unless you're really greedy. Must... resist... Commerce stereotype...)

I love forestry to pieces, and I still have a really hard time getting motivated. If you're going to bust your ass, it should be for something you love, not because it might lead to a good paying job. Even this isn't sound logic, since in four years (or whenever you graduate), who knows where that particular field will stand?

If music is what really inspires you, then by all means study it! More power to you. If you have to go into debt to get a music degree, then do it! If you really want to avoid debt, you could work part time and study part time. There's nothing wrong with taking a longer time to graduate if your goal is to do so debt-free. But if you want to study music, don't let anything put you off.

After you graduate, there will be jobs for you. A number of places like to hire bright, creative people who can work well in teams, and have a degree. A music grad fits that bill.

I wouldn't worry too much about your future career. My dad is in his fifties and he still says he doesn't know what he wants to do when he grows up. If you get a certain degree just because it will lead to a job... well, if you don't like that program, it will lead to a job you don't like. Is that what you really want?

There are ways to get the degree you want, and the career you want. Get into the best program for you now, excel, and the career will sort itself out later.

Mercutio, if you want to study music, then I say rock on!

[/soapbox]

edited to add: Elanor gave some good advice earlier about checking out the scene. Simon Fraser University is notorious for having a very depressing campus. My dad got an excellent degree there - it's a great university, but you should consider all the factors that are important to you.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-27-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #35
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I agree 100%. I couldn't imagine working this hard for something I didn't care about - English Lit is unlikely to lead to any highly-paid jobs, but there wouldn't be any point for me in doing another subject, because I wouldn't be interested enough to do well in it.

Mercutio, is there a limit to the number of colleges you can apply to at any one time?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 11-27-2005 at 05:29 PM. Reason: The subjunctive mood
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #36
Mercutio

Nope. Most people apply to about 4-5 schools, though.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #37
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I applied to two, and got in to both, but I always knew I'd come to my beloved UBC. (I applied for my back up just in case.)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-28-2005, 12:24 AM   #38
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

UBC? The University of British Columbia? I went there for a summer camp between 8th and 9th grades. Lovely campus. Nice dorms. WONDERFUL anthropological museum. Awful dorm food (at least in the summer in 2000). Hope all but the last correspond with how you find it

I applied to 2 back when I was applying, but I did not go to my hometown school. Most of my classmates did though. Now (alas) I should actually be more thinking about grad schools.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #39
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
UBC? The University of British Columbia? I went there for a summer camp between 8th and 9th grades. Lovely campus. Nice dorms. WONDERFUL anthropological museum. Awful dorm food (at least in the summer in 2000). Hope all but the last correspond with how you find it
Each point is bang on. The campus is truly beautiful. They're always building something around here, but there is still quite a large amount of green space which I really appreciate. We have some very beautiful gardens, not to mention the acclaimed Botanical Garden.
The dorms are pretty cool, even Totem and Vanier, which get made fun of a lot. The rooms are very small, but there's a lot of camraderie. All the other dorms are really nice, even the water-logged residence I lived in two years ago.
The Museum of Anthropology is world class. If anyone's in the neighbourhood, the museum is a must-see.
The food in every single cafeteria always has been, and probably always will be, completely dreadful. I live off-campus now, where I cook healthy and delicious food. (Or heat up a can of soup. But there is no mystery "chicken cordon bleu" *cough* ) Those were good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
I applied to 2 back when I was applying, but I did not go to my hometown school. Most of my classmates did though. Now (alas) I should actually be more thinking about grad schools.
Many of my high school grad class went to the local university, but a few came to UBC.
Grad school is awesome! You know, UBC has quite good Masters and Doctoral programs...
Quote:
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #40
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Right now I'm applying to:
St. John's College (MD and NM)
St. Olaf College (MN)
Wheaton College (IL)

Does anyone happen to know anything about any of these colleges?

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote