Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #21
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Truth is a rabbit in a bramble patch. All you can do is circle around and say it’s somewhere in there.
Bwaha!! Awesome. Can I put you in my sig?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Two of my favorite quotes on this subject are: 1) "the truth is out there" by Mulder and 2) "you can't handle the truth" by Jack Nicolson. IMO they are both correct.
Nicholson was fabulous in that movie!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #23
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Rian, laundry is too over rated.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #24
MrBishop
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
What the father said was a lie, but he was not lying as to him this was the truth and had been told to him posed as the truth. However I agree with Tessar that there is only one truth. People may believe may believe that the truth is different things but that doesn't make it true. The father believed what he was saying was the truth but that didn't make it the truth.
It also didn't make it a lie. It was a truthful statement, but not a factual one. Hence the whole point about this thread.... the potentially HUGE difference between truth and fact.

Hell, consider this... If I say that there are aliens living on Saturn, having no facts or believing the opposite to be true...I'd be lying (granted, a white lie)... If in 50 years, aliens are discovered living on Saturn... my lie was actually the truth, though I was still lying when I said it.
MrBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #25
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yes, he was absolutely brilliant! I love that movie. (We're talking about A Few Good Men.)

However, I think Nicholson's character, whose name escapes me, was wrong. Maybe they couldn't have handled the truth about what (from his perspective anyway) the military situation was in Guantanamo Bay, but is it really up to him to decide what the people in the court/the general public should know?

Maybe it was in that case because he was a general, but then again, he didn't exactly prove himself to be of sound judgement by societies standards. And isn't that who he's working for?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 04-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #26
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Often people can't handle the truth. It is not logical, never the less, it is often true.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #27
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Bwaha!! Awesome. Can I put you in my sig?
Sure. Although true credit goes to Pete Seeger's father I believe.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #28
inked
Elf Lord

Yeah, but IR doesn't really believe it! See the evolution debates ad nauseum!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #29
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Haha My darn sig is full anyway. (I even used tiny URL. )
Quote:
Old 04-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #30
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The key word here is belief, not truth. Too many times, people confuse belief with truth. The died-in-the-wool atheist speaks a belief. The devout Catholic Priest speaks a belief. It is not that the truth is different from one person to another. There is one truth. We can all form opinions about what we believe that truth to be. These opinions are not TRUTHS! (not that I'm mad at anyone). Truth does not change based upon our beliefs or opinions. If one of us creates a heaven in his mind, which he believes he will go to, where the entire world is one big cheese cake with lemonade glasses every few feet, this does NOT mean that he will go there. If my sister earnestly believes that the Lord has prophesied to her that I will be president within the year, that does NOT mean that it will be true. Obviously .

Einstien, when considering the Theory of Relativity, and many other esteemed scientists considered the possibility that reality changes based upon our beliefs, that our beliefs form reality, that truth wavers and depends upon human opinion. They found that the idea was useless, and that it was worthless. The idea goes nowhere.

"I have my truth, you have your truth. Both are equally true." They are not. I don't have my truth- I have my belief. I have my belief about the way reality is, and I could be wrong.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:44 AM   #31
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Rian, laundry is too over rated.
(Do you have a strong deodorant? )

(and do you do your own, btw?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:04 AM   #32
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
You guys are still confusing objective truths.

There is only ONE truth.
Yeah OK

And there is only one flavour of ice cream.

And one colour in a rainbow.

And one pair of shoes in the shop.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:44 AM   #33
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

actually there is only one colour in a rainbow, or anywhere for that matter, white light, blacks and greys are shades of white, and all other colours are just various aspects of the spectrum made visible
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #34
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
actually there is only one colour in a rainbow, or anywhere for that matter, white light, blacks and greys are shades of white, and all other colours are just various aspects of the spectrum made visible
SHut up or I'll sit on you
Old 04-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #35
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Actually that's not true anyway. White light can be refracted into many colours. That doesn't mean all the colours are one. IOW the colour spectrum, all of which are found in equal balance in white light, is made up of many colours.
Quote:
Old 04-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #36
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
"I have my truth, you have your truth. Both are equally true." They are not. I don't have my truth- I have my belief. I have my belief about the way reality is, and I could be wrong.
Good point Lief. I like the way you put that. If I say you are correct... does that mean it is true?

With beliefs, there is one truth, but we have no way of knowing what that truth is. Therefore, all beliefs (all other factors being equal) are equally valid. They are not all true, but if we don't know the truth, that doesn't matter.

Everyone's beliefs are equally valid, but one feels their own beliefs are more correct than other people's - otherwise, they would believe something else. Even the person who says "I have my truth, you have your truth. Both are equally true" thinks that, if they have any defineable beliefs.
Quote:
Old 04-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #37
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Good point Lief. I like the way you put that. If I say you are correct... does that mean it is true?
No, you believe it to be true .
Quote:
With beliefs, there is one truth, but we have no way of knowing what that truth is. Therefore, all beliefs (all other factors being equal) are equally valid. They are not all true, but if we don't know the truth, that doesn't matter.
The thing is, though, that all factors usually are not equal. Indians of the past used to think that the Northern Lights were formed from the laughter of unborn children. They had only the use of their own senses to support their hypothesis. We have the use of our own senses, + modern technology. All factors are not equal. Therefore one belief may be (and, in my opinion, usually is) more valid then another.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #38
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby-K
Yeah OK

And there is only one flavour of ice cream.

And one colour in a rainbow.

And one pair of shoes in the shop.
Where are you going with this? If there is more then one truth, then reality is more then one way, in which case scientific data can determine nothing with any reliability. Science relies upon there being one stable way the universe is. I might be in my house while I am typing this post. If I am there, I am not also in the bank. There is one truth.

If you are eating Ice Cream, and you are eating Rocky Road and Vanilla, this is still one truth, one reality. Reality does not change based upon your belief. The fact that you are eating Rocky Road does not negate the fact that you are also eating Vanilla. That doesn't mean that there is less then one truth. The one truth is that you are eating BOTH Rocky Road and Vanilla! That you are eating both does not mean that you are dealing with two different truths- it's the same truth, the same simple reality.

There is one truth that there is one pair of shoes in the shoe store. It is also one truth that there are many pairs of shoes in the shoe store. These truths aren't different from one another. They are all true, but they are non-contradictory because they are one truth. In order for there to be one truth, there doesn't have to be one thing.

The same goes for flavors of ice cream. The truth that there are numerous flavors to ice cream is one truth.

I won't get into the rainbow business .

For someone to find an example of there being more then one truth, one would have to show that truth is contradictory. Usually in modern society though, whenever two things are found in science that appear to be contradictory, (such as Quantum Mechanics and the Theory of Relativity being out of wack) usually it is instantly assumed that the fault is with our theories and with our current understanding. The assumption always is that truth is a constant, that truth does not change. Truth is one.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #39
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
The thing is, though, that all factors usually are not equal. Indians of the past used to think that the Northern Lights were formed from the laughter of unborn children. They had only the use of their own senses to support their hypothesis. We have the use of our own senses, + modern technology. All factors are not equal. Therefore one belief may be (and, in my opinion, usually is) more valid then another.
That's why I said all other factors being equal, which I probably should have elaborated on (ie. level of technology) but I beleive that I will be late for class if I don't leave now.
Quote:
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 AM   #40
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yeah, I noted that you made the provision. So many people think that all beliefs are equal, regardless of the factors that may be involved, that I just felt the necessity of underlining that provision.