Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 AM   #21
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Spectrally challenged?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #22
Draken
Elf Lord

I might have spotted niche here. I could get support groups and protest campaigns going.

'What do we want?'
'All labelling and signage in yellow on a black background'
'When do we want it?'
'Now!'

And maybe I could write alternative songs and prose for fellow sufferers:

"Red and yellow and green and red,
A lighter sort of red, a brownish-mauve, and a faint red,
I can sing a rainbow...."

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Spectrally challenged! lol! I still think you can say colour blind though Draken.

Which reminds me... suggested reading for this thread: "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker.
EDIT: Oops, I really thought that was a different book.

I can see how that would be annoying Arty. Even though I don't think it would bother me, I can't really talk. There's a lot of Swedes who aren't white, and skin colour aside, not all Swedes are blond-haired and blue-eyed either. I'm the foreigner, and it's only obvious when I mangle something in Swedish. (Recalls the ströbröd incident... )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-02-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Thought so, and I wasn't pointing my finger at you , I was rather trying to explain why 'color blessed' doesn't ring quite perfect in my ears.
But I apply that term equally to people of ALL color - be sure you realize that IOW, enjoy the good parts of your heritage, whatever it is.

Quote:
...I only know how to complain.
LOL!

Quote:
But for me personally it works best to engage in smalltalk to begin with, and then gradually advance to more personal matters when we get to know each other better. Then it should be possible to avoid at least the most stupid questions.
I think that's a good approach, too. I think there's two different types of situations, tho - the "we're on a bus together so let's chat about something", and the "we're co-workers and we can get to know each other over time" situations. For the former, there's no time to gradually get to know each other, but for many, it's a matter of common politeness to strike up a conversation. For the latter, you can take your time, and just by listening, you can eliminate a lot of incorrect guesses about a person without having to ask them questions.

Here's another angle - I just heard Al Sharpton speak t'other day at an event sponsored by someone whose name I didn't recognize and can't recall, but the only people I saw in the audience were black. There was one white speaker on the podium, and about 6 black speakers. It seems to me that sometimes, the more outspoken black leaders want it both ways - they don't want stereotypes and prejudice, yet they themselves talk as if all blacks think the same way, or at least SHOULD think the same way, on many issues. Do you guys know what I mean? Do you get that impression, too?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-02-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #25
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

LOL, Draken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I think that's a good approach, too. I think there's two different types of situations, tho - the "we're on a bus together so let's chat about something", and the "we're co-workers and we can get to know each other over time" situations. For the former, there's no time to gradually get to know each other, but for many, it's a matter of common politeness to strike up a conversation. For the latter, you can take your time, and just by listening, you can eliminate a lot of incorrect guesses about a person without having to ask them questions.
Good point. I have nothing else to add to it, but good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Here's another angle - I just heard Al Sharpton speak t'other day at an event sponsored by someone whose name I didn't recognize and can't recall, but the only people I saw in the audience were black. There was one white speaker on the podium, and about 6 black speakers. It seems to me that sometimes, the more outspoken black leaders want it both ways - they don't want stereotypes and prejudice, yet they themselves talk as if all blacks think the same way, or at least SHOULD think the same way, on many issues. Do you guys know what I mean? Do you get that impression, too?
I know what you mean. I can't stand Al Sharpton, mainly for that reason. I get the impression that he doesn't actually know what he's doing. He blabs about equality and the end of discrimination, and then discriminates against white people at conventions and criticizes all of them for the most trivial and arguable cases of racism against black people. That guy's too eager to find discrimination, he doesn't even realize what he's doing. He's not accomplishing anything.

On an unrelated note, do you think the term 'aryan' is offensive or condescending anymore? I use it among friends, who of course don't care, but would 'blonde-haired blue-eyed' be more politically correct?

Last edited by Bombadillo : 03-02-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #26
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nice thread Ri, can't believe i did'ne sporrit before now

I went to a school in the main city of the county i lived in, and in my class of 25, there were 4 muslims, 2 indians, 1 afro-european, 3 caribeans (2 from jamaica, one from trinidad) and 15 whites, of the whites 2 were of irish origin, me included, 1 eastern european, the other 12 mostly english origin,
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote