Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #21
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

hypothetical was the word you were looking for...
Hmm...wraiths as produced by the stab of a nazgul blade?
maybe you should broaden the category of things to dicuss to include other undeadish being such as the barrow wights, and the dead marshes...?

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #22
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Excellent point.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #23
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
hypothetical was the word you were looking for...
Hmm...wraiths as produced by the stab of a nazgul blade?
maybe you should broaden the category of things to dicuss to include other undeadish being such as the barrow wights, and the dead marshes...?
Okey, I'll put in the barrow wights.
Are there wraiths in the dead marshes?
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 AM   #24
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Are there wraiths in the dead marshes?
As far as I know, no.
It's just that, to me, wraiths, barrow wights, and the dead marshes all seem to share the commonality of being something that is not quite dead in a very eerie way.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 AM   #25
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Me9996, have you read the books, or just seen the movies?

This thread could go a couple of ways, depending on if you're trying to base your ideas on the pure, unchanged books or on how Peter Jackson represented the books.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #26
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider Oh come on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Me9996, have you read the books, or just seen the movies?

This thread could go a couple of ways, depending on if you're trying to base your ideas on the pure, unchanged books or on how Peter Jackson represented the books.
I've read the books and think they're better!
(Have you seen my Book/movie tread in the movie forum?)

P.S.
100th post!
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 01-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #27
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
I've always wanted to ask this question, so here goes... I know that Barrow-wights are not the same as Nazgul, but as Tolkien first thought of LoTR, appeared very much the same, so, are Barrow-wights in anyway the same as Nazgul, or perhaps distant cousins of the spectral world??
Old 01-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #28
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Wow... this has got to be one of the weirdest threads I've read. And that's really saying something.

As long as we're talking about wraiths, what exactly is the wraith-world?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
I've always wanted to ask this question, so here goes... I know that Barrow-wights are not the same as Nazgul, but as Tolkien first thought of LoTR, appeared very much the same, so, are Barrow-wights in anyway the same as Nazgul, or perhaps distant cousins of the spectral world??
The Barrow-wights were evil spirits from Angmar that infested the Great Barrows after Third Age 1636. Angmar was populated with Orcs, Hill-men, and other such creatures, so the wights could have been any one of these things, I would think.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Wow... this has got to be one of the weirdest threads I've read. And that's really saying something.

IIRC, the Wraith world was the spirit world. Doesn't Gandalf say something to Frodo about Glorfindel being in both worlds, or that the Elves live in both worlds because they were creatures of spirit?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #31
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
IIRC, the Wraith world was the spirit world. Doesn't Gandalf say something to Frodo about Glorfindel being in both worlds, or that the Elves live in both worlds because they were creatures of spirit?
That's exactly what I didn't understand about it. Yes, Gandalf does speak of that (I looked it up... the advantage of being in a library ). Does this include all Elves or only those such as Glorfindel who had been in Aman?

But what exactly is the spirit world? Or is it just a simplified way of signifying people who no longer had physical presence in the world (such as the Houseless)... or those like the Eldar who would eventually fade and become invisible to mortal eyes? Is that what it means?

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
That's exactly what I didn't understand about it. Yes, Gandalf does speak of that (I looked it up... the advantage of being in a library ). Does this include all Elves or only those such as Glorfindel who had been in Aman?

But what exactly is the spirit world? Or is it just a simplified way of signifying people who no longer had physical presence in the world (such as the Houseless)... or those like the Eldar who would eventually fade and become invisible to mortal eyes? Is that what it means?
I think it included all Elves. The spirit world would be exactly that, no solid body. Didn't Glorfindel appear to Frodo as a brightly lit figure, and Gandalf says this is how he appears on the other side? I think you are right on it. The Elves were so very spiritual in their existance and that was why they faded. Somewhere in the Sil it says that they were consumed by their spirits in the courses of time.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 05:07 PM   #33
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
I think it included all Elves. The spirit world would be exactly that, no solid body. Didn't Glorfindel appear to Frodo as a brightly lit figure, and Gandalf says this is how he appears on the other side? I think you are right on it. The Elves were so very spiritual in their existance and that was why they faded. Somewhere in the Sil it says that they were consumed by their spirits in the courses of time.
Terms like "other side" and "wraith-world" seem somewhat inadequate to me, but I doubt the hobbit would have appreciated an indepth explanation of the process...

Was that in the Sil? Hm, I'll have to go check later. I know I've seen it somewhere...

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #34
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

From the Silmarillion. Houghton Mifflin Edition. 1977

Quote:
Immortal were the Elves and their wisdom waxed from age to age, and no sickness nor pestilence brought death to them. Their bodies indeed were of the stuff of Earth and could be destroyed; and in those days they were more like to the bodies of Men, since they had not so long been inhabited by the fire of their spirit, which consumes them from within in the courses of time.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #35
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
I think it included all Elves.
I think it was just those who had seen Aman. I don't have LotR handy right now, but I'm pretty sure that Gandalf said Glorfindel could see him and the Nazgûl because he had seen the Blessed Realm but I will check later.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM   #36
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Nazgul

We have a discussion going at SF-Fandom about the Wraith-world and how Sam was able to see in it. It seems to be another aspect to Arda, where physical bodies do not appear, and the spirit is percieved in its true character. Remember, the Ring actually spoke to Gollum in the spirit world on Mount Doom.
Quote:
Then, suddenly, as before beneath the eaves of the Emil Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, scarcely more than a shadow of a living thing, a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet filled with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the firre spoke a commanding voice.
'Begone and trouble me no more. If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.'
Old 01-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #37
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Quote:
Doesn't Gandalf say something to Frodo about Glorfindel being in both worlds, or that the Elves live in both worlds because they were creatures of spirit?
In the original manuscripts, Gandalf says that the Elves in Rivendell dwell in both worlds, and while each world only has half power over them, they have double the power over each world
Old 01-18-2005, 05:32 AM   #38
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Another reference in LOTR: the orcs refer to being stripped of their bodies and left naked under the Eye "on the other side".
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #39
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider

Quote:

It's were the wraiths live!
But otherwise I think that it is alot like this one.
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #40
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I think it was just those who had seen Aman. I don't have LotR handy right now, but I'm pretty sure that Gandalf said Glorfindel could see him and the Nazgûl because he had seen the Blessed Realm but I will check later.
Here it is. From Many Meetings:

Quote:
And here in Rivendell there live still some of hischief foes: the Elvenwise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both seen and unseen they have great power.
This makes me think what would happen to an elf who had lived in Valinor, if they got stabbed by a Morgul blade.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote