Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #21
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Wow. Off topic, but still incredibly interesting and open to debate.

Elvish perception of time.

If you're interested in this topic, I've started a new thread here.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 12-07-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:07 AM   #22
Sween
im quite stupid

Not a small part of his reason for choseing to be a man was ambition! I mean look at what happened to him and Elrond! Elros went on to be the forefather of the greatest nation of men ever to have lived. He was the longest lived man of all time! He was a king. Elrond became a master of wisdom and lore but never in the full since a ruler.

Also a lot of what we know is Elrond centred learning as he acctually plays a part in the storys in which we read. But imgin you are in middle earth particually living in the rhelm of Gondor! would you have any idea who Elrond is? he probably would not of come into the teachings of the people of Gondor whilst Elros would of been this fantastic figure who gave up imortality to come and rule men. It can be argueed to the death but Elros legacy in middle earth is probably know to more than Elrond (of course the strands were re-united with Aragorn and Arwen)
Old 12-08-2004, 05:26 PM   #23
Manveru
Elven Warrior

maybe elros was just curious about what happened to men when they die. i mean the elves know that they go to the halls of mandos but the men leave the earth and what happens to them is a mystery
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #24
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Here's a question:

Why wouldn't Elros have chosen mortality? He certainly got the better deal from where I stand.

By choosing to become a mortal, Elros got the best of both worlds.

A 900 Year Lifespan, giving him plenty of time to enjoy the world.
The Gift of Death, letting him leave when he got tired of Ea.
The ability to end his life voluntarily - something Elves had but Humans didn't.
The stature and bearing of the Elves.
The freedom and self-determination of Men.
The prosperity and bliss of living in a place made for him by the Valar (Numenore)
The ability to change and affect Middle Earth, rather than hiding away in Valinor.

Dude. What's not to like here? I'd certainly take Elros's fate over Elrond's any day of the week.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #25
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I'll have to check, but I think he only lived 400 or 500 years.

OTOH... his BROTHER had to wait about 3500 years to get married!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:36 AM   #26
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I think it was 500 years.

I think Elros chose to me Mortal because he recognised the heroic heritage of his mortal ancestors on his father's side and felt there should continue to be a direct "pure" representation of the House of Hador that his father had sacrificed his life in ME to save; and he also does this in honour of his father.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #27
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Here's a question:
Dude. What's not to like here? I'd certainly take Elros's fate over Elrond's any day of the week.
well, its true that elros didnt live to see the almost complete take over by Sauron, but he also didn't get to see the day when almost all evil was gone from the world. so i guess it could go either way
Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #28
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Well after Morgoth's fall what active evil was around when Elros was?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #29
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

TD's got a point.

My guess is it was just a matter of personal preference. Each race has its strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages. Their fates are different, but does this mean that one is actually better than the other?

Of course, one could ask why he chose to become mortal knowing that his brother, mother, and father had all chosen to be joined with the Eldar...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #30
Telcontar_Dunedain

Earendiel did not chose to be elven because he wanted to. He did it for Elwing's sake, not his own.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 12-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #31
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

maybe he just was a rebel? when his mother, father and brother chose elves, maybe he wanted to be different, beacuse i would guess he had seen somewhat of what it would be to live like an elf.
I don't think one of the races are better than the other. as Elemmire says, both of them has it's own weaknesses and strengths.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #32
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Earendiel did not chose to be elven because he wanted to. He did it for Elwing's sake, not his own.
Yes. Eärendil chose to be Elvish because of Elwing, but he still chose to be numbered among the Eldar. This is what I'm saying... Elros did not make a similar choice, he did not become Elvish for the sake of the rest of his family, but chose to sunder his fate from theirs.

Why? And less importantly... why are you invisible? Take off your elvish cloak and stay a while, TD...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #33
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yet his fate was sundered from his mother's and fathers anyway. I think something that may also have influenced his descion, was seeing how many men fought for Morgoth in the War of the Wrath. Only the Edain fought for the Valar. Maybe he wanted to unite more men under the banner of the Valar.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #34
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

if you're talking about uniting under the Valar for the War of the Rinf, i don't think that makes sense, because by then most(if not all me, had forgotten about the Valar) the only beings on Middle-Earth who remeberd were the Istari and the Elves
Old 12-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #35
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yet they would still have fought for the Valar if needs be. It could be argued that Sauron fought for Morgoth during the third age.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #36
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Yes it could be argued, but the fact still remains that men didn't know who the Valar were! would you fight for someone you didn't even know? except to save your own butt?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #37
Telcontar_Dunedain

I'm sure Men knew who they were like we know who George Bush or Tony Bair is. Yet they would be fighting for good instead of bad which was the point I was tring to get across.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #38
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

i get it now
Old 12-25-2004, 10:53 AM   #39
Lenya
Elentári

I can't understand how someone would choose a shorter live over a longer one. I am not one for living for ever, but I would have chosen to be an Elf if only to live longer. I mean, if you get the chance, take it. Then again, I woud have chosen Elf also cause I like them a lot
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:22 PM   #40
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

well, i gues it gets stressful living forever, i mean, men who you knew would die, and you would just keep on living