Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2004, 03:28 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Yes, Ñólendil, in our standard american way we tend to coopt any traditional celebrartion and turn it into yet another excuse for conspicious consumption and a chance to get stuff. A bit sad perhaps but its still fun none the less.
The thing is though it's also about giving - not just receiving. People giving out candy, decorating their houses in extravagant ways to give people coming around a good time. I enjoyed dressing up, having the scary soundtracks playing out the windows, the cauldron with dry ice on my porch, the torches leading up to my front door and getting dressed up - all to make it more enjoyable for the kids and others who were coming around.

Same goes for Christmas also - it's also about the joy of making people happy. I don't know many people who look at it really as a "me" holiday.

The thing I hate is that christmas decorations are already in the stores. I'm tired of that. I don't want to hear about Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. My sister already asked me what I want for Christmas - I told her get back to me after Thanksgiving.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:55 PM   #22
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
i didnt do anythign special for halloween this year. last year we had a wicked party at a friendshouse. everyone madea n effort int heir costumes it was great. altho one guy decided not to make the effort and just put a sticker on him saying "god" lol. i was a rather sexy little devil lol not many ppl had seen that side of me before then. twas so funny their faces when i turned up. oh how i laughed. this year my brothers been to two partiesa nd hes worn this withces hat witha green wig it looks sooo funny. he also has a litle cape and a devil tail. we had no trick'or'treaters this year. im very dissapointed. there arent THAT many steps up to my house!!

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:51 PM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
The thing I hate is that christmas decorations are already in the stores. I'm tired of that. I don't want to hear about Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. My sister already asked me what I want for Christmas - I told her get back to me after Thanksgiving.
You're getting a lump of coal from your sister!

That is annoying about decorations. I also don't like ads for Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving or Halowe'en etc.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:53 PM   #24
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Well it's another reason to have a good time, what's wrong with that? Halowe'en parties are really fun. And good haunted houses or spook yards are awesome. Have you ever been to a good one? One that scares you? Sends chills down your spine? It's really neat, and it only happens on Halowe'en!
to bad your not in Vancouver anymore Nurv, supposedly the PNE fright night haunted house is supposed to be really scary this year.

anywho, HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:27 AM   #25
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I indulged the little kid in me and went trick or treating, this is the first time I've actually gone out on Halloween and done so...in my 19 years of existance.

Got a pillowcase full of candy, and I dressed up as Frank Sinatra, even got to sing at one house...so, Happy Halloween 2004!
Old 11-01-2004, 02:22 AM   #26
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

We took no trick-or-treaters in . We sat happy and content in our house and ate the best candy all by ourselves .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #27
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yeah, there's a really good spook yard in my home town as well. Oh well, Hallowe'en isn't celebrated here in Sweden, so I don't feel that I missed anything. Oh well, next year I'll celebrate in style. I did eat the gummy witch my mom sent me. Mmm mmm delicious!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-02-2004, 05:14 PM   #28
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

We didn't do anything this year - no parties and no trick or treating. Ah, I miss the good ol'days of terrorising my neighbours.

Though I did eat all the sweets that I had bought for our trick or treaters. That'll teach them to try and come every day leading up until Halloween. Greedy sods. What are kids coming to these days?

EDIT: Wrote this poem for a Halloween competition - and it won! First time in my life that I've won something.

All Hallows Eve

Swirling mists and darkened doors,
Lights in windows not on until dawn.
Hidden away from the mysterious night,
Away from the ghosts and ghouls that take flight.
Is it all a figment of the mind?
Childhood monsters that come alive.
We carve our pumpkins and find our masks,
To have fun on this most scary night.
Is it real or is it fake?
A chorus chanting ‘trick or treat’.
Groups of children smile and plead,
Once a year on All Hallows Eve.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 11-02-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #29
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
We took no trick-or-treaters in . We sat happy and content in our house and ate the best candy all by ourselves .
So did my family and I, even though most people were trick or treating.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Happy Halowe'en everyone! I see no need to let the old Halowe'en thread go to waste.

So... what's everyone doing for Halowe'en? I'm dressing up as Zorro (in fact, I'm wearing my costume right now), complete with hat, mask, cool shirt, black pants, and black boots. I have a plastic sword, but no whip. I might get one tomorrow morning.

On Halowe'en night I'm going to Trick-or-Eat, where you dress up and go house to house collecting food for the Food Bank. This way, I still get to go trick or treating even though I'm 22, and help out a good cause.
Quote:
Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 AM   #31
katya
Elven Maiden

I had a small Halloween party thing at English club, at which I ate some donut type things that made my stomach hurt when I went to kendo afterwards. I am also reading Dracula again. Other than that, nothing. I kind of miss Halloween, since it`s my favourite holiday. Happy Halloween everyone!!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM   #32
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Happy Halloween all you Americans, Canadians and people who celebrate it! Though Halloween is becoming more and more popular on this side of the Atlantic as well
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 AM   #33
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Boo!!!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 AM   #34
sun-star
Lady of Letters

What am I doing for Halloween? Going to a vigil mass for the feast of All Hallows
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM   #35
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Boo!!!
AAAH!!!!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #36
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Once again celebrating my birthday. Not much trick-or-treat this year, though.

I hate this day.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #37
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Boy I'm Asleep Half The Time And Not Awake The Rest Of The Time

The title of this thread is Happy Halloween 2004.

Will all members please enter their time machine and post accordingly.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #38
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Spock, you're a mod - just change the title of the thread
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #39
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Spock, you're a mod - just change the title of the thread
DUH?

I just lack good old Swedish Common Sense.

Thanks Jonathan
Old 10-31-2005, 04:02 PM   #40
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

My best friend and I are going to pick up a cake for her Mom's b-day, then we're either going to Hereafter House (Local church trying to win souls while scaring the **** out of you) or trick-or-treating. We might end up doing the latter. This, Christmas, and V-day are the only times I pig out on Candy.

Happy Halloween, Mooters!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote