Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Elrond had, as many elves did, the ability of foresight! Therefore it must be understood that if the children of Iluvitar had the ability to see the future, then surely most of the Maia could and without question the Valar could! Now seeing the future as a vision is something different than the actuality of a free will world. When Elrond views the hopelessness of Arwen staying in Middle-Earth he is seeing the most likely future, the future as seen if one choice is made by Aragorn. There are many choices that can alter what is to be. Take for example the phrase "you were destined to do" as in Aragorn was destined to become the King of Gondor and Arnor! Now, this may have been the destiny of Aragorn and Middle-Erth but it was the choices of Aragorn, and many others as well, that inevitably lead to the predetermind action in time! The choices could have gone as such to make Aragorn king of Gondor, Arnor, and all of Middle-Earth if he had taken the one ring! It is all about free-will and Destiny. Which as I said before is the best Tolkien could do being bound by his own beliefs. I believe I just read something that agrees with my last statement in the begging of Silmarillion, writen by Tolkien himself.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote