Glad you're back, Jersey Devil!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemel
Aftethought ...

SGH, you said before that JD had done a lot of work behind the scenes, and now you're saying that JD isn't just 'any member' and that 'his return could be such an asset to the board'. So ... how's about either you or he lifting the cover just for a moment so mere ordinary bods like me can know about all the good things he's done? I've got some vague idea it's in terms of technical help in running this board - would this be right?
Well, there is what Tristan posted below your post, but there are other things that JD has done to help the board. The time when there were all the bots on, (not the other day) but when they broke the record at 72, Tristan didn't really think much of it, but it was at a time when there was supposed to be some kind of hacking going on. JD could explain this better. Anyway, it was JD who brought it to the attention of Ben that something should be done. I believe Ben contacted someone who was able to lock all the bots out.

Another time that he was very helpful was when we had a member that cooked up a story about a relative being killed in a car crash. They even went as far as to post a pic of the wrecked auto. While this person played on the sympathies of mooters, JD contacted the the webmaster of the site that the picture was from. The webmaster was so annoyed with what this person was doing, that he came to Entmoot and registered and posted, blowing wide open this person's story and proving them to be a total liar. That person is now banned.

JD has also been very helpful with the admin cp. NO, he doesn't have access to it. there is a site you can go to that lets you go into a dummy cp and learn how to do things. Anyway, when we came up with the idea for the political sub-forum, we wanted to find a way to keep things under control in heated discussions, so we thought being able to ban members for a day or two just from the sub-forum instead of the intire board would be a good way of handling things. Problem was, was that no one seemed to kinow how to ban just from a forum. JD took a good deal of time to go into the dummy cp and figure out how to do this, and was going to show me how to, but it was after that that he left Entmoot and then we decided since he was the heart of political discussions there was no longer a need for the sub-forum.

There are other instances that I'm sure JD could mention. I believe he helped Tater with some things way back when, but not sure. But when I said "not just any member" that is what I meant. Most members come and go. He has been around for sometime and has helped on the board quite often in times of tech trouble.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #23
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I believe he helped He has been around for sometime and has helped on the board quite often in times of tech trouble.
I can certainly vouch for that. He helped me when my computer would hardly let me do anything, maybe had a virus or something. I didn't have to format my computer, which was what I had intended to do.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:15 AM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
I can certainly vouch for that. He helped me when my computer would hardly let me do anything, maybe had a virus or something. I didn't have to format my computer, which was what I had intended to do.
Yes, he has also been very helpful to other members in regard to doing things on the board. He has helped many in shrinking and posting pics in the "Entmoot picture links" thread, as well as shrinking avatars and helping them to get them up. He has been as you pointed out Lin, helpful to members off the board. When my brother was driven out of the company that he worked for for 24 years, and decided to go into business for himself, JD built my brother's website for him. Pretty talented fellow with the computer I'd say.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 07-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #25
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
. He has been as you pointed out Lin, helpful to members off the board. When my brother was driven out of the company that he worked for for 24 years, and decided to go into business for himself, JD built my brother's website for him. Pretty talented fellow with the computer I'd say.
Yeah, super-dooper talented he is, but actually he helped me ON the board. I couldn't even get into AIM, or many other programs (But for some bizarre reason I could use Internet Explorer), so I kept him up with PM's for help. Go JD, ra ra.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:59 AM   #26
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Welcome back JD.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #27
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Welcome back, JD

Let's raise a glass of miruvor to our great Entmoot community, and a returning long-time member, and lots of great discussion among fellow Tolkien lovers

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:57 PM   #28
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I didn't even realize he had left!?! I did notice a distinct absence of posts from him though, and that he didn't reply to the PM I sent him. All the clues are coming together...

Anyway, I am definitely glad you're back! I've always enjoyed discussions with you, and I find your posts interesting. We made a go of Nation States and had a good time. I had no idea you did all that technical stuff for the board, but I did know you're a bit of a computer whiz due to your own MB about New Jersey.

Don't worry about any flame baiting (if it ever happens), just roast a marshmallow on it and make s'mores. What possible bad could you say about a state called the "Garden State"? Sam would approve.

I now notice you're absent in your own welcome back thread. Is he disappearing again? *chases JD and claps him in leg irons, with a really long chain so he can wander around the whole board*

There! Now you're here to stay! Gotta go myself, the library's closing.
Cheers! Nurv
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 07-31-2004, 12:09 AM   #29
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

welcome back joisey devil JD has helped me out numerous times and was probably one of the first people i became friends with on this boardand it was all because of insulting each others country and hockey teams
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 07-31-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:58 AM   #30
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Thank you to the people who welcomed me back. I wasn't intending on ignoring the thread.

There is one thing I wanted to say in terms of the accident photo - it wasn't just me. I had been talking to Jonathan on AIM and he was getting ready to go to bed. Right before he left he sent me a link and told me to look at it and then left. He was the one that discovered the original website where the photo came from and he passed it onto me. I took it from there - so he deserves some of the credit also with that.

As for my post - I needed to say things on my return. I didn't mention anyone's name - but they know who they are. That is all I am saying.

I wanted to thank Lizra for wishing me a happy 4th of July even though I was gone. I would also like to thank Gollum and Gimli for standing by me. It just goes to show that the people from the 51st state aren't all bad. I will get you Lin and Gimli though for saying Joisey.

Lady Ravyn - make sure you fly that NJ flag high.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-31-2004, 03:45 AM   #31
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

When did you leave JD?
Old 07-31-2004, 03:54 AM   #32
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminty_Smeagol
When did you leave JD?
When Ben deleted my post in the farenheit 9/11 thread for no reason and no explanation. It was about a month ago.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-31-2004, 05:10 AM   #33
Sminty_Smeagol

After me, or before...

Aw. I didn't get any popular demand. I had one PM whilst away.
I just remembered this board and I was like "I think I'll bumble on over there". I miss the old look.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 AM   #34
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Didn't know you were gone either. Then again, I have been away as well. The moot must be considerabley more dull when the occasional sword is not crossed.

Oh, and I like this new interface, its all pretty and such...
Old 07-31-2004, 07:40 AM   #35
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Glad that you're back JD.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Fenir!? I can't help thinking the only reason you came back is becoause JD is here....you love him...
Old 07-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #37
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Welcome back, JD! Nice to see you up and running again.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:29 PM   #38
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I would also like to thank Gollum and Gimli for standing by me. It just goes to show that the people from the 51st state aren't all bad.
those are some pretty big words coming from someone who lives in the 4th terratory

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
Old 07-31-2004, 08:27 PM   #39
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

Welcome back, JD...I baked you a pie, too.. *hands over freshly baked pie*

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Old 08-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #40
Sminty_Smeagol

I am loving this. Ha.