Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2001, 01:46 AM   #21
Tar Melian

irrelevent info

Not all people from the south say "ya'll".
Old 01-16-2001, 02:24 AM   #22
Gilthalion

Re: irrelevent info

Nope. Jus' us real Southerners! They's lots of (searches his little head for a more polite term than "Yankee") them whacha-call'em Snowbirds down h'yar, what ain't larned to tawk raht.

Another of these factoids, y'all:

George W. Bush is the second son of a President to become a President.

(And he says "y'all," too!)
Old 01-16-2001, 02:32 AM   #23
gdl96

I can't stand southern accents. It's not that I don't like southerners, it's just that I can't stand the really strong accents. Not all of the southerners have a really strong one, but the ones who do...they just drive me crazy!
Old 01-16-2001, 09:55 PM   #24
bmilder

Interesting fact:

Everytime there was a son (or even a grandson) of a president who became president, that son/grandson did not win the popular vote and the father/grandfather served only one term or less. And so far, the son/grandson has only served one term, just to be beaten four years later by the man who had actually won the popular vote that year. Let's hope this pattern holds

John Adams: served 1797-1801 (one term)
son: John Quincy Adams, elected in 1824 after losing both popular vote and electoral vote (Andrew Jackson won popular vote and more electoral votes but not enough) but Henry Clay helped have the House give the election to Adams. Four years later Jackson won both popular and electoral vote.

William Henry Harrison: served 1841 (died in office)
grandson: Benjamin Harrison, elected in 1888 after losing the popular vote but getting just enough electoral votes to edge out Grover Cleveland. Four years later Cleveland won both the popular and electoral vote.

George Bush: served 1989-1993 (one term)
son: George W. Bush, elected in 2000 after losing the popular vote to Al Gore and getting a tainted electoral margin of victory after the Supreme Court stepped in. ( Four years later, Gore wins both popular and electoral vote? Will history repeat itself? Who knows?)

I think that's kind of interesting...
Old 01-17-2001, 07:10 PM   #25
SilvaRanger

More irrelevant facts
1, The number of times you trip over your dog is directly proportionate to the amount you walk around without looking where you're going.
2,Whenever 1 sock from a pair goes missing, it will stay missing untill, the other sock is also lost. It will then miraculously reappear. Thus ensuring that you always have a drawer full of odd socks.
3,Dogs can only sweat through their paws and their tongues, which is why they pant in hot weather.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:18 PM   #26
Gilthalion

We were never burgled during the lifetime of Maurice Pierre Beaumont, our French Poodle.

He was midnight black, and any burglars smart enough to case the joint feared this dog for they would never see him in the night...

...if they tripped over him, they could have hurt themselves!
Old 01-18-2001, 02:30 AM   #27
The One Ring

We've never been burgled during the lifetime of our faithful spaniel, Rusty. His overwhelming friendliness and affection would no doubt overwhelm any thief who entered our house.
Old 01-18-2001, 04:08 AM   #28
Elbreth of Carhouth

Whereas my faithful mut Buddy deliberatly walks in your path or stands just behind you, so that you trip and drop the nice roast you were carrying to the table for dinner... Or to get our attention because he wants to go outside.

I love accents, but I pick them up too easily. I was in Oregon last spring, and when I walked into the room, a buch of people would say "wow, you sound like a Canadian!" Personally I can't hear any difference, but I guess its in the way we say "out", or "down". I do know that there was a guy from Texas there, with a really strong accent, which I picked up without realizing it. Then I was teased to no end because, from thier point of view, I had mastered speaking with two accents at once.

Oh, yeah, and its true about the Canadian dogfights stats, I looked them up again.
Old 01-18-2001, 11:35 AM   #29
SilvaRanger

Both my dogs try to deliberately trip me up all the time, avoiding one is hard enough. Avoiding two is impossible
Old 01-18-2001, 02:29 PM   #30
emilsson

My cat (who lives at my father's house) is almost 13 years old. That is as old as a 70 year old human.
Old 01-18-2001, 11:24 PM   #31
Tar Melian

ii

Ya'll should know I wouldn't have brought up southern accents without having a rite good one myself! There are some in my family that say far, war, and tar instead of fire, wire, and tire! (But that's my Tennesse side of the family)

But there are diffent types of southern accents.

The politians, tend to sound like they have something in their mouth while they are talking,
ie: mawnt-GAUM-ry for Montgomery

he he hee :lol:
Old 01-19-2001, 12:47 AM   #32
Johnny Lurker

Re: I say "Eh" quite frequently.

"no one says, "this snow sucks, hey"."

But you do say, "Hey, this snow sucks." (or rain, in the American case... after all, in the contiguous states, you people don't know what REAL snow looks like :P)
Old 01-20-2001, 05:52 AM   #33
anduin

But you do say, "Hey, this snow sucks."

Yes, because that is the proper location in a sentence for the interjection "hey".

How do you measure "real snow"? By accumilation (how many cm), consistancy (slushy or powdery), how long it stays on the ground, snow days.......?

Anyhow it is snowing here (Louisville) right now. It appears to be "real snow", but I guess one can never be to sure. It is white, cold, and wet (so the flakes are huge and are sticking to everything....think Ansel Adams. ) So, in your opinion would that be considered "real snow" or fake snow? :/
Old 01-20-2001, 03:11 PM   #34
captain Tarpols

Harry Truman's middle name is "S"
Old 01-20-2001, 06:22 PM   #35
Johnny Lurker

Ah, 'tis all in fun.

(I know they get some serious snow in Nebraska, so I wouldn't have said something like that in all seriousness. Still, there _was_ that one day in Edmonton where we got snow in August, and that one time in Calgary where we ended up with three feet in one day...)
Old 01-21-2001, 12:13 AM   #36
Gilthalion

Re: Ah, 'tis all in fun.

I haven't seen snow since Miss Kitty came along about eight years ago.
Old 01-21-2001, 02:37 AM   #37
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Ah, 'tis all in fun.

I miss real snow. Up here, real snow comes at the end of August, is on average 3 feet deep, and doesn't melt til the middle of May. It's been a warm year for us, you can still see patchs of the ground for goodness' sakes!
Old 01-22-2001, 12:52 PM   #38
anduin

Ah, I see.

Three feet IS some serious snow.
Old 01-24-2001, 04:42 AM   #39
Elanor

Irrelevant but INTERESTING facts (hint, hint)

hm...

Old 01-24-2001, 11:44 PM   #40
anduin

Ummm....

I have a hard time staying on topic.