Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #21
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Especially in relation to Cyprus, I don't think we're doing those people a favour, it's like a second Berlin Wall. I'd rather seen Cyprus join as a whole or not at all.

Still, we'll have some interesting years in front of us.

I pity the students who'll now have to learn the names of 25 countries in exchange to the 12 in my time.
Oh, only half of Cyprus joined the EU?
We've been wondering about that already but I didn't know (gosh, bad general education)

If so, it is really sad because I also think that they should have joined together.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Er.. yes. (Now you're making me doubt myself ) Only the Greek half of Cyprus joined, didn't it?
Old 05-02-2004, 04:09 PM   #23
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Er.. yes. (Now you're making me doubt myself ) Only the Greek half of Cyprus joined, didn't it?
I'm pretty sure, yes. Too bad they couldn't unite.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:30 PM   #24
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I thought cyprus didn't join because of the division. I know Malta joined - but I thought that Cyrprus didn't.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:34 PM   #25
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
The day when there is a United States of Europe is the day I pack my bags and leave England. I could not live in such a place, where the U.K. is but a member state, on 'equal' terms with nations like Albania and Slovakia! The sheer indignity that we, a nation that ruled a fifth of the globe, are merely one of fifteen states, on equal terms with a tin pot little country!
Interesting. I think my observations of your contempt toward other nationalities and countries is now confirmed.

God forbig the UK should be equal to other nations.

I'm sort of curious though - when the EU does develop into the United States of Europe - because that is the road it is going down - where will you go? Maybe you should come to the US and live in the country that is the most powerful in the world.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #26
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Count Comfect
Actually, with 25 countries and their proportional representation system, it may be very difficult for any one nation (or couple of nations) to dominate the EU.

By the way, the EU's unemployment is not as severe as it seems. France, Spain and Germany are the three hardest hit (all around or above 10%), but the actual economies don't seem to be in as much trouble as one would expect from this. Some of the problem seems to come from overgenerous unemployment benefits, which they are addressing.
Not entirely they're not addressing them. France has tried to - then they have people protesting in the streets and demonstrating and they pull back on their plans. The health care is nearly bankrupt as is unemployment benefits. France and Germany both have tried going against the EU rules regarding deficits. It'll take a lot of belt tightening for France and Germany to correct their problems - not to mention more friendliness towards business in order to promote hiring. It's not worth it to hire someone in France - as was stated just the otherday on French news - because it's so expensive for the company.

I would be interested to know what they plan to do regarding translaters. It's expected that over a billion dollars is just going to go to paying translaters. it's being recommended to only have 5 official languages in Europe now - to cut down on the cost. I think the languages were going to be - English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-02-2004, 06:56 PM   #27
Mercutio

For info on the Cyprus problem...

Click this.

Click me! Click me!

No no! Me first!

I think the Cyprus in the EU is technically united, but the bad feelings are on the Turkish side. Turkish Cyprus didn't really want to become part of the EU. The EU and Greek Cyprus are working to promote economic development in northern (Turkish) Cyprus, and friendliness between the two areas.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:21 PM   #28
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I thought cyprus didn't join because of the division. I know Malta joined - but I thought that Cyrprus didn't.
Cyprus did join the EU.

EU does not recognize the occupation of Northern Cyprus.
(Northern Cyprus, IIFC is only recognized by Turkey.)

This Recognition by the EU is having an effect on the occupied territory.

I am looking for sources and will provide links when found.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:29 PM   #29
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

BBC News

EU pledges aid for Turkish Cyprus

The EU has pledged to release almost 260m euros (£170m) to Turkish Cypriots, following their approval of a UN plan to reunify the island.

The money is aimed at ending the economic isolation of Northern Cyprus after years of sanctions.

The UN plan was accepted by 65% of Turkish Cypriots, but Greek rejection means it cannot come into force.

Turkish Cypriot PM Mehmet Ali Talat has meanwhile formally asked the EU to freeze Greek Cypriot membership.

Mr Talat was due in Brussels on Monday for talks with enlargement commissioner Guenter Verheugen, who has already bitterly criticised the Greek Cypriot handling of the peace process.

Mr Verheugen said the EU would work with the Turkish Cypriot authorities to boost the economy but this did not mean that the north would be recognised as a separate state.

"I strongly reject the idea that co-operation is recognition in the sense of international law," he said.

Mr Talat is also likely to travel to Washington in the coming days, officials said.

Economic sanctions have been in force for years, leaving many Turkish Cypriots with a low standard of living.

The government will now press for the right to sell goods direct to Europe, and for direct flights to be resumed.

Details of Mr Talat's bid to freeze Cypriot membership were carried by Turkish Cypriot news agency Tak.

It said Mr Talat had written to Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, asking for membership to be suspended until the island could join as one.

"The Turkish people of the north, where EU laws will not apply, have done their best for a solution, whereas the south has not done so," Tak quoted him as saying.

Turkish Cypriot support for the peace plan was blocked by Greek rejection
"Therefore in order not to reward the Greek Cypriots, we asked that EU laws not be applied to the south until there is a solution, and the island enters the EU as a whole.

"In other words ... membership should be frozen."

Cyprus joins the EU on 1 May along with nine other states.

EU officials are angry that the divisions have not been overcome.

"We're all profoundly disappointed that this historic opportunity has been lost," EU External Relations Commissioner Chris Patten said.

"I don't think the leadership of the Greek Cypriot community have behaved well, to put it mildly - gagging (European) commissioners' attempts to speak in the community and so on."

The island has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded in response to a short-lived coup by Greek Cypriots.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 05-02-2004, 11:39 PM   #30
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

BBC: Q&A: Cyprus peace process

Q&A: Cyprus peace process

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan's Cyprus peace plan was put to the vote in Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities on 24 April. The Turkish Cypriots accepted the plan but it was thrown out by the Greek Cypriot side. BBC News Online answers key questions about the process.

Why did the Greek Cypriots reject the plan?

Most of the population felt the plan gave too many concessions to the Turkish side. In particular they were angry that not all Greek Cypriot refugees would have got their homes back, that Turkish troops were being allowed to stay on the island indefinitely and that Turkish settlers were also being allowed to stay.

What about the Turkish Cypriots?

They ignored the advice of their veteran leader Rauf Denktash and voted to accept the plan.

Many people wanted the benefits that reunification would have brought, and thought the plan represented a fair compromise between the conflicting demands of the two communities.

What does the outcome mean?

Cyprus stays divided into Greek and Turkish sectors for the foreseeable future. It could be a long time before the international community is prepared to take another stab at solving the problem.

And when the island joins the EU on 1 May, only Greek Cypriots will get the benefits and responsibilities of being in the club.

Membership is suspended in the Turkish Cypriot area, despite the "yes" vote, in line with an earlier decision that the north could only join if the island was reunited.

Doesn't that seem unfair?

The Turkish Cypriots certainly think it's unfair, and the European Union is looking at ways of easing long-standing sanctions against the breakaway zone, to help improve living conditions for northern Cypriots.

Some critics say a divided Cyprus should never have been allowed EU membership, as it paved the way for the paradoxical outcome of the pro-plan Turkish community staying on the outside while the anti-plan Greek population get in.

The Greek Cypriots will also get only a lukewarm welcome into the EU. The European Enlargement Commissioner has strongly criticised the government for its handling of the referendum campaign.

Who had agreed the peace plan put to the voters?

No deal was reached between the island's leaders on the shape of the plan. Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash did not even attend the final round of talks in Switzerland.

But both sides had already given Mr Annan permission to "fill in the blanks" - that is, to make his own proposals on the elements they could not agree on.

So that is what he did - arguing that the plan he put to the people was a compromise between the wishes of the Greek Cypriots, the Turkish Cypriots and the Greek and Turkish governments.

None of them got all they wanted, but Mr Annan insisted he had tried to balance their conflicting demands.

Mr Annan urged voters to see the plan as the best chance for peace in a generation.

How did the peace process get this far?

Cyprus' impending entry into the EU created a fresh momentum for progress.

Mr Annan, who was behind an unsuccessful peace drive in 2003, decided to have another go.

He invited Greek and Turkish Cypriot leaders to New York in February 2004 to see if talks could be restarted.

Several days of intensive discussions yielded what he had hoped for: an agreement that if the leaders could not agree on the final shape of the plan, he would write it himself.

Talks involving the Cypriot communities and then the Greek and Turkish government indeed failed to reach a deal, so in the end Mr Annan "filled in the blanks" himself as anticipated.

What was in the peace plan?

The idea was to reunite Cyprus formally, but run it as two separate Swiss-style cantons for most practical purposes.

The deal would have meant the Turkish community giving up some of the land it held and many - but not all - Greek Cypriots returning to the homes they had to flee in the 1970s.

The largely symbolic presidency of the united Cyprus would have switched back and forth between the two communities and large-scale demilitarisation would have taken place, although Turkey was being allowed to maintain a military presence on the island indefinitely.

Mr Annan's plan included a reduction in land held by Turkish Cypriots to 29%. The number of Greek Cypriots allowed to return to their homes would not have been allowed to exceed 18% of the Turkish Cypriot population - allowing tens of thousands back but leaving tens of thousands more permanently displaced.

How has life already changed on the island?

Most Cypriots had the first chance to see the other side of the divide after April 2003, when travel restrictions were eased after 29 years of total division.

Since then, thousands have crossed the border daily, and emotional meetings between former friends and neighbours have helped overcome some of the prejudices.

How long has the island been divided?

Cyprus has been partitioned since 1974, when a Greek-inspired coup prompted a Turkish invasion of the northern third of the island.

Thousands of people were displaced from their homes and many have never returned.

The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus was declared in 1983, but has never been recognised by any country other than Turkey.

Since 1974 Greek and Turkish Cypriots have been living separately, divided by a so-called "green line", patrolled by the United Nations.

More than 30,000 Turkish troops are still stationed on the island and Nicosia remains Europe's last divided capital.

Last edited by mithrand1r : 05-02-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:20 AM   #31
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Below is from an email a freind from Cyprus emailed to me.
Quote:
We may miss the Annan plan

DAVOS -- Proclaiming that people who support the Annan plan are traitors and calling the plan a trap has become a trend recently. It is evident that people following this trend do not know the details of the plan. If we have a look at the crimes which Turkey has been accused of for thirty years, we may find the real traitors.

The reason we are stuck on the Cyprus issue is not because of any conspiracies generated by certain foreign countries, but due to our uncompromising policies that oppose a settlement. We should always keep this in mind. However, some people still insist on disregarding the facts.

Accusations should not be made against people seeking ways for a settlement, but against those who pursued the wrong policies in the past.

Let's have a look at what advantages Annan plan could provide us.
  • Turkey has long been accused (unjustly) of being an invasionary force on the island. By accepting the Annan plan, we will totally get rid of this label. In addition, the existence of Turkish troops in the north of the island will be legitimized. Then, nobody will be able to accuse Turkey of being an invader on the island.
  • The Annan plan will allow Turkish settlers in northern Cyprus to remain on the island.
  • The right to govern the north of the island will be given to Turks, and the fact that there are two populations on the island will be recognized.
  • The leader of the Turkish society will be able to become president. The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (KKTC) will be granted sovereignty within its own region and it will be able to form its own Parliament, pass its own laws, and establish its own police force.
  • The Turkish population on the island will have equal representation with the Greek population.
  • If a settlement cannot be reached by May, 1, Greece may send troops to the south of the island. The Annan plan foresees the disarmament of the whole island after Turkey's membership to the EU and therefore eliminates a possible threat from the Greek side.
  • Finally, the implementation of all of these provisions depends on Turkey's EU membership. Therefore, if Turkey does not become an EU member, it will still have the chance to put the Ankara agreement into practice.

Turkey has nothing to lose but everything to gain

There are no major provisions in the Annan plan that could harm Turkey. On the contrary, Greek Cypriots who want to go back to the period before 1974 are cornered by the Annan plan and forced to make important sacrifices.

In fact, soon you will see that these Greek Cypriots will be the group most strongly opposing the plan.

If the Turkish side had played the game correctly in the past, if they had accepted the Annan plan before the Greek Cypriots were guaranteed EU membership, the situation today would be highly different -- the side stuck in the corner would be them instead of us.

Now, there isn't much time before May 1, and the Greek side seems to have many more advantages than us. And when they take their place in the decision making mechanisms within the EU they will block many things using their veto rights.

So our task is now much more difficult.

In the middle of all these difficulties, the people responsible for the Turkish and Turkish Cypriot situation come up and say: "They are selling the island." They should see their failures and shut their mouths.

Papandreou's self-confidence

A new leader is rising in Greece. Until now he has been the "second man" in Greek politics but his vision and focus are getting attention and now he is the leader of PASOK.

Elections will be held on March 7 in Greece. Previously, PASOK was given no chance and a victory for Karamanlis seemed certain. But after Papandreou's election as PASOK leader, this has changed. Papandreou's personality has played a huge role in that.

Papandreou began his election campaign in Western Thrace. There, for the first time, a Greek leader accepted that the Greeks have treated the Turkish minority unjustly and promised that such an attitude towards Turks will not continue.

Saying such things in prior to an election requires high self-confidence -- and Papandreou has it.

Of course, then I ask myself why Turkey doesn't raise such politicians.

NOTE: This article appears in daily Posta and, on the same day, in daily Hurriyet's all foreign publications, on Hurriyet's internet site (www.hurriyetim.com.tr), on Milliyet's internet site (www.milliyet.com.tr) and, after being translated by the Turkish Daily News staff, in both that newspaper and on the Turkish Daily News internet site (www.turkishdailynews.com).

Mehmet Ali Birand's article is translated by TDN staff

Old 05-03-2004, 02:28 AM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

So if I read these articles right, Cyprus joined as a whole but only in name. Only the Greek side will get the benefits of membership. Sounds like a typical European Union-construction. Especially seen the fact that the Turkish side voted for the union and the Greek side against. What a missed opportunity. IMO the European union should have barred the admission of a Cyprus unless they joined in a whole in reality, not only in name.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #33
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Personally I'm glad these countries are joining. They deserve to enjoy the benefits of European membership if they want to, and hopefully a bit of variable geometry will bring the EU down to earth a little.

I wonder how far east the EU will go next though
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:01 PM   #34
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I wonder how far east the EU will go next though
Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia! Russia!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 05-03-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:01 AM   #35
sun-star
Lady of Letters

You never know That would be quite an extension How long before they sort something out with Turkey and go down that route, too?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 02:54 PM   #36
Janny
The Blobbit

Well the Turkey issue is something of a problem vis-a-vis the old Islamic Extremism problem. Desires from many nations for the constitution to recognise the Christianity of Europe, and the fear that Europe will become a United States has certainly caused a few people of the old 'let's blow people up' school of thought to be afraid that there will be two super powers 'after them' not just one.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #37
inked
Elf Lord

Now we've got 'em, let's deprive 'em of sovereignty!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...9849_1,00.html

Pardon my sarcasm, but "Rule, Brittania, rule!"
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #38
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and no right of appeal?

What do you EU-member-country Mooters think about this?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:39 AM   #39
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Oops, double post.

To make use of this space... *waves Czech flag* Yay Czech Republic.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 09-15-2005 at 02:49 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:48 AM   #40
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Wow. I'm not a member of an EU nation, but I think they're taking the trade alliance too far with this. Now, it makes a lot of sense that you have to have a certain, acceptable level of human rights in order to join. But "harmonising criminal law across Europe" suggests the EU wants to be more than a trade alliance. So when does an alliance become a nation?

It doesn't seem as though Europe is one nation. Having been there, there's huge cultural and social differences in the countries I visited (some more than others). But hamonising criminal law... I mean, all of the Canadian provinces don't necessarily have the same criminal laws. (Such as at what age someone is no longer a minor.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote