Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2004, 05:04 PM   #21
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

my dreams have always been close to home

life couldn't be better

i love playing and performing music, and while i don't do it as much as i use to, i still gig now and again

i also love doing children's theatre, and still have a chance to do that once a year

i have a good job that's flexible and five minutes from my house

and most of all... after being a nut throughout my twenties, i've settled down happily with my three kids and wife, who is much better than i deserve

*knocks on wood*

i'm doing some writing too... though i'm probably too much of a perfectionist/revisionist to ever get it out into the public
Old 03-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #22
Janny
The Blobbit

It's so nioce to hear someone satisfied with their hand. A bit of perspective... you don't get much of that in Thanet.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:18 PM   #23
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I have wanted to be a photographer, and I think I have some skill in it, too.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #24
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by trolls' bane
I have wanted to be a photographer, and I think I have some skill in it, too.
Cool I wouldn't mind being a photographer too. But not for newspapers and the media - I don't think I could do that. Take pictures of people suffering yet not being able to help them.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:43 PM   #25
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

I've always wanted to travel, but I also wanted to be a teacher, which isn't a very high paying job. I also like community service though, so I've decided that after college graduation I'm going to join the Peace Corps. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do yet, but I'd like to teach girls in the Middle East or children in Africa. It's sort of an extreme goal, but I don't care, I'm going to do it.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:54 PM   #26
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
Cool I wouldn't mind being a photographer too. But not for newspapers and the media - I don't think I could do that. Take pictures of people suffering yet not being able to help them.
Well, I actually wasn't planning to take photographs for the media. I was just planning to take them. Oh yeah, that's right. I also want to write a book.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #27
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I want to write well, and often, but I am less preoccupied with getting published than I used to be..
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:45 PM   #28
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by trolls' bane
Well, I actually wasn't planning to take photographs for the media. I was just planning to take them. Oh yeah, that's right. I also want to write a book.
gee, you, lal, and i should start a photo co-op or something!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 PM   #29
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ravyn
gee, you, lal, and i should start a photo co-op or something!
Ooh! I should start a website!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #30
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

epic bump

Nice little thread, thanks Janny. This is the question that finds out what people are all about. What do you most strive for?

I'll start where I left off three years ago on page 1. Most of my dreams I haven't seen through yet. But I've got time and patience and willpower and energy to spare. Now if only I had the money.

I set a big goal about two years ago *looks left, looks right for JD* to get the hell out of Jersey. And I accomplished it. At age twenty, I loaded up my old Chevy cop car with all of my material possessions and drove 1,800 miles due east to Colorado, where I knew no one but was told I had an aunt. I lived just outside of Boulder from July '08 to May '09 with a bunch of airplane mechanics and a bloodhound named Bo, then I moved into Boulder itself with a couple of girls. I registered in an online course at the University of Colorado at Boulder and I'm now halfway through, trying to make up for the disastrously drunken and drugged-out oh I mean man oh man... year of college I have on my permanent record, the '06-'07 non-motivated blur. Then I came back to New Jersey in July, just to visit the beaches and old friends, and I've been stuck here ever since working like a goddamn slave and it's raining!

It turns out, the nomadic life doesn't work. I would no longer suggest it.

So my dreams have changed. Next I want to get back to CO and stay there. Then I want to get back in school, this time with some real experience in the ways of the world, level-headed and clean, as a business and real estate major with a psych minor. After that I'll take it one step at a time. Ultimately, I want to flip houses and have kids, and nothing else matters.

E tu?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #31
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Honestly, my biggest dream is to stay at home and serve God and my family. I want to raise godly children and be the best helpmeet for my husband possible (which is coming up! Yay!). I do not want to get bogged down or distracted by a career, but school for now is free and I've got no kids yet, so here I am at school.

It's so funny how dreams change just with a change in perspective. When I was in high school, I (guessed that I) wanted to go to college to get a degree, to get a career, have a small family with a husband and stay right where I am now. Essentially, I wanted my parents' lives because I knew no differently. Since I've been dating my fiancé, I have seen so many new things. I want to stay at home and take care of my family. I want to have as many kids as I get; there is no number that's too many (I realize I'll probably take that back in future, but I certainly have not limited it to any specific number). I want to go live in amazing places everywhere (where the stinkin' cost of living is so much higher than here...), maybe even out of country!

I befuddle my parents.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #32
Mari
Elf Lady

Part-time teaching (i.e. 4 days a week) and a day working at a home for terminally ill people. Though instead of teaching I might end up in publishing educational material. Or somewhere else. At this point I'd just be glad to get out of school, get a job through which I can sustain myself, get a small apartment...
Ah, marriage. I'd love to get married and have 4 or 5 children, fosterkids or my own, but we'll see how that works out.

Nice thread, this. A bit similar to Sis' 'Where will you be in 10 years'-thread. Thank you for dragging it back out of austerity Bombadillo!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 12-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #33
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Epic bump indeed. Good call, Bomb.

My dream is to make it to the Metropolitan Opera as a lead character, and to be a successful opera singer as my full-time occupation. I am trying to set myself up to have an international career, because I really want to travel around and experience different cultures through professional venues.

Although frankly I think I'd be just as happy to end up being a pop singer, or jazz singer, or broadway performer.... So long as I can do some international touring and I get to be singing. I just have my sights set on opera for now.

Then after I've done that and I decide to 'retire', I'd like to open my own voice studio and be a really amazing voice teacher, or go teach at a college somewhere and do masterclasses.

Somewhere in all of that I'd really like to have kids, and I'd like to adopt or foster or something. I don't know how I'd work that all out because of... various stuff... but I think I'd make a pretty okay dad. Not an amazing parent probably, but I could always try to be a great parent, and I can definitely provide them with love at any rate .

Last edited by Tessar : 12-04-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #34
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

This is a great thread! It's lovely to read about everyone's aspirations, and I hope everyone here accomplishes what they want to (or finds a different, but equally fulfilling life path!)

I haven't got it all figured out yet. When I was a teenager, I was sure that all I wanted was to get married, be a stay-at-home homeschooling mother and have a very big family. I count several women with this sort of lifestyle that I know among my role models, they're all such wonderful, centered people.

That said, I've realized now that I'm probably never going to get married. Which has led me to value my existing family a lot more. I know, for example, that in future years I want to be there for my dad as he gets older. (I've done volunteer work in a variety of care homes from the elderly. Some are excellent, but others...I think it's a pity more elderly people aren't, for various reasons, cared for by their own families.) I want to be there to support my brother and sister if/when they marry and have children of their own.

As for my career - I'm working as a teaching assistant at the moment, and I truly love it. Long-term, I'd like to get a degree through studying part-time, and eventually qualify as a teacher, but that's a rather vague aspiration. I enjoy college, and I enjoy being a TA, so at the moment I've very happy with where I am.

In 10-20 years time, I would like to have had something published (novel, book of poetry, non-fiction work on feminist theory/women's studies) If I'm financially secure enough, I'd like to adopt or foster children (great to see you considering that too, Tessar! I'm sure you'd be a great dad) I want to go back to teach in Kenya again at some point - ideally, if I'm working in a school, I could go for a month every year during the long holiday once I finish with college. And I'd like to be a more balanced person who copes with life stresses better. That one, I'm working on already.

In short, I'd like to *be* the kind of person that I really admire today.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #35
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Own a bookshop.
Become a fulltime alcoholic.
End the need to have any more ambitions.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Part-time alcoholism shows a lack of ability to commit. I applaud your decision.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #37
katya
Elven Maiden

First, I'm going to meet my childhood sweetheart from Italy.

Then, I'm going to spend a couple years having sweet adventures. I would like to go to France, some other countries in Europe, Egypt, Costa del Sol- actually the lounging around on the beach at Costa del Sol can last a a while, sipping cocktails and staying warm- and maybe become a movie star in some obscure country.

After that, and I've been planning this part out for years, is I'm going back to Italy to marry my childhood sweetheart. He's going to be the Boss. But one who is interested mostly in protecting his Family and friends. We will have two sons. They will be strong and loyal. The older one will be fiery and passionate, and the younger one will be sensitive and clever. It is vital that I have sons, so that they can protect me.

My life will consist mostly of being a housewife. I will spend my days cooking and cleaning, and when the boys get home from doing the job on someone, I will say "You boys must be tired. Here, have some pizza. [holds out pizza]"

I will die outside in my garden, tending to my tomatoes, of a heart attack. When everyone hears "heart attack" they will immediately think, "[gasp] Kira!" But that would be silly of them.

I honestly have had this planned out just like this for about four years.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Katya, that sure sounds like it would make a great movie. I wonder why no one has thought of it yet. :P
Old 12-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

Hey now, it's not all the same. I just kinda borrowed some stuff. The only real problem with this scenario is that I'm already OLD and I don't have a childhood sweetheart from Italy.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #40
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
Become a fulltime alcoholic.
Yeah, let me know how that works out for you.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote