Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i got 8
i can normally recognise general origins,
i can always tell scots/irish/manx/cornish/breton
differences
Really? I find that thing hard. I was thinking of europe and how actually I would tell differences by clothing not actual complexion.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:22 PM   #22
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Not to steryotype - but a lot of asian people think all white people look the same.
very true... the same can be said of bagels... here in boston, a bagel's a bagel... but if you've ever had one in NYC!!

now that's a bagel
Old 07-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #23
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
I got 6 right. Mostly just 'educated' guesses, and I'm sure if I took it again I'd get a different score.

There are of course subtle differences - but to all non-asians, that is probably VERY HARD to detect. Asian people can do it better than everyone else of course.

Not to steryotype - but a lot of asian people think all white people look the same.

BUT - like there are different groups of Asains (Korean, Chinese, Japanese), there are different groups of white people - but for some reason "white people' are always just grouped together. German, Norweigan, British, Irish, Finnish, Scottish, Dutch, Polish, Russian - there are differences between those people too and yet White people are always just grouped together.

Just my two cents.

I was thinking about that too as I took the test. I wonder if we took a lot of pictures of "white" people and made a quiz what everyone's results would be.

Also as for the differences between the Asians, I realized why Korea might have been a trouble spot for me. Or for other people why it was easiest to identify the Chinese. I don't claim to know or remember much about Asian history but I am sure that for the greater part of China's ancient culture it strived to remain secluded, especially from the North (Great Wall). While Japan also acheived seclusion on their own Island, they also lanched a lot of invasions/colonization on the mainland Asia, many of which started out by landing on the Korean penninsula. So that would explain why Korea would be a shady area and also why it might be so easy to identify Chinese.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #24
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Asian people can do it better than everyone else of course.
Actually, no. They tend to say they can tell the difference between Chinese,Koreans, and Japanese. But I gave it to ALL of my classes here in Japan and to Asians who are just friends and they faired no better than anyone esle.

Yes there are some things that can be generalized about a people. Like there is a Slavic look yet I know many non-Slavs with those features. Yet, as the test shows these features are not exclusive.

Last edited by afro-elf : 07-15-2004 at 07:16 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #25
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

good god

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Hey, I can't help it if everyone looked Japanese to me. And the times I picked someone to be Chinese, they really were Japanese. Figures.
lol
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #27
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
i got 5. which seeing as i know hardly any people who are asian would figure. ah well. it is really hard.

someone said they can tell the diff between ppl who live over various parts of the UK. i can do that fairly easily. although some people do stump you. accents help alot though or is that cheating? but it wud be intersting to do a test of having shite people fromall over and see if u can tellt eh diff between a say british american and french

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #28
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
test of having shite people

The SHITE people.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #29
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
People of Asian descent in general or Asians who live in Asian countries? Because I've grown up in a society with a white majority (yet highly multicultural), but I often see differences between white people easier than I would between Asian people.

I can't remember my previous score so I did it again. I got 7.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #30
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
good god
What was this in reference to?
Old 07-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #31
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Got an 8, but asians are rare around here. Anyway, it seems it was easier to spot the Japanese.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #32
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
The SHITE people.

That could be humerous or offensive depending whether it is a typo and if someone is familiar with old english.

I am guessing it is a typo.

Ironic that the sentance still makes some sense.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #33
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
Really? I find that thing hard. I was thinking of europe and how actually I would tell differences by clothing not actual complexion.
It's not as hard as you'd think to tell white people apart, IMO. It depends on the country. I'm sure you could tell the difference between an Italian and a Norwegian, for example, though distinguishing Belgians from French would be much harder (not that I've ever tried it...). Some people do look recognisably American, too, somehow.

How does a Cornish person look, though?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:11 PM   #34
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
It's not as hard as you'd think to tell white people apart, IMO. It depends on the country. I'm sure you could tell the difference between an Italian and a Norwegian, for example, though distinguishing Belgians from French would be much harder (not that I've ever tried it...). Some people do look recognisably American, too, somehow.

How does a Cornish person look, though?
Remember those Dutch people we almost spoke German to?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #35
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i got 8 right- better than my mom who got 6 or something lol

i can tell the difference between irish, scottish and english (sometimes english) but not asian lol

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #36
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

That was needed. I scored a four, beating Khamul at least.

I thought I would ace it but after the first few i dropped that idea. I picked all the more animated ones to be Japanese (no pun relating to anime intended, ), and anyone who looked like the one Korean kid I know to be Korean, and the leftovers were Chinese.

It is easier in real life, though. Maybe seeing them change their facial expression a bit helps, seeing them in various emotions.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #37
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I always thought that it is rather difficult to tell them apart. But I think thats because I'm white. I guess other races would have the same difficulties telling the white ones apart.

My score was very, very low. 4 right. Hopeless.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #38
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Got a 6. I thought I'd be good at this.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #39
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

11 but i live in dc so we have some of everyone by default (embassies). Lots of asian friend thru the years.

SE asian is even more fun!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:17 PM   #40
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

wow i only got 5 right. but thats better than my sister, she got 2 right.she has a bunch of asian friends too

Ah caught you smiling at me, That's the way it should be,
Like a leaf is to a tree, so fine.
Ah all the good times we had, I sang love songs so glad
Always smiling, never sad, so fine.
As we walk down the country lanes, I'll be singing a song,
Hear me calling your name.
Hear the wind within the trees, Telling Mother Nature 'bout you and me.

"Yeah.And Grizzly Adams had a beard."

'Grizzly Adams did have a beard."
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote