Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2001, 12:07 PM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually I had never seen the actor who portrayed Elrond before. I gotta admit, the guy was fantastic!

Very exotic looking fellow, for sure, and I think he captured the haughtiness of an immortal and the "humanity" [sic] of the Half-Elven lord, the Herald of Gil-Galad, perfectly. I got SUCH a thrill at the mention of the line of Numenor! Too cool! Plus, he added a touch of humor, and I thought that was a wonderful addition.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:13 PM   #22
Arwen't we there yet?
Sapling

haha,...the dude that portrayed Elrond was also in "The Matrix",...
"Mr.Andersonnnnn,...."

(am I keeping my promise or what? Short and sweet,...kinda Hobbit-like, eh?)
Arwen't we there yet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:03 PM   #23
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by CardenIAntauraNauco
Thank you so very much for starting this thread. I am sick of hearing people complain about the movie.
Thanks. It is so easy to nit pick. The books -vs- the movie. Yeah, yeah....

I went with twelve of my friends and afterwards we sounded like a bunch of sugared hyped ten year olds at a sleep over. I just wanted to continue that feeling. I can't wait for tonight as I will see it again to ring in the New Year.

Happy New Year all ye 'mooters!

Pailan
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 01:17 PM   #24
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I saw the film for the fourth time last night, New Year's Eve...at a small theatre, with a bar. It was really neat to toast Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday with a good glass of Pale India Ale!

And a hearty New Year's toast to all my friends and fellow travellers here at Entmoot....may it go well for all of us!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:04 PM   #25
Arwenfan
Sapling

The whole movie is wonderful. Viggo Mortenson is very sexy. Did anyone else think he had an Irish accent, though? Or is it just lust-crazed imaginings? I gather he's American!
Arwenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 06:31 PM   #26
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

No, I noticed the accent, too. Was it Irish? I wasn't sure...

My absolute favorite characters-
1. Pippin!!! He was just the best, the coolest, the funniest little hobbit around. His helpless sobbing after Gandalf's death is one of the scenes that stuck in my head out of the whole thing...wow...
2.Frodo!! Don't ask why he's AFTER Pippin, because I loved them both. He was so delicate, sad, so REAL... another stuck in my head scene was when he was just about to leave, and Gandalf was saying goodbye. Which brings me to...
3. Gandalf! So powerful, protective...awesome.
4. Aragorn! So secretive and cool. Loved his scene with Boromir.
5. Galadriel! She was the most mystical, beautiful thing in the movie.
6. Everyone else from Saruman to Legolas to Bilbo! I loved all the characters...excellent casting was obvious.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)

Last edited by Renille : 01-01-2002 at 06:45 PM.
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 07:01 PM   #27
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

I loved the whole movie.. all the charecters and the scenes. Great stuff.

But I gotta say that I esspecially love the movie for all of its artistic value...all the canceptual artists that put their pen and pencil to work in this movie...creating EVERY SINGLE FREEKING BEAM and door and costume and weapon.

And the FX makeup and creature artists that made all those THOUSANDS of pointy ears and Hobbit feet and wigs and...and..and.. Just ALL of it!... I want to work on movies like this someday.

VIVA LA ARTISTE!!!

...ok I'm finished.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 07:23 PM   #28
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Let's not forget the fantastic armourers who created over 48,000 pieces of armor and weaponry for this film....

Oscars all 'round!
Old 01-01-2002, 07:24 PM   #29
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Entertainment Weekly's year-end wrap-up of 2001 has a great article on single dad Viggo Mortensen. I seem to recall he had quite an international upbringing...Venezuela or argentina or something....
Old 01-01-2002, 11:29 PM   #30
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Ok! I admit it!

I NIT PICKED. Couldn't help it! Its my nature!!

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. While I enjoyed the Elvish dialogues, the subtitles cheapened a bit, IMO. Made seem like one of those silly old B-Movies from the 60s.

The part when Bilbo tried to get the ring from Frodo was creepy. I'd forgotten about that sudden change from the book, and so yes, I was one of the people exclaiming obscenities. Not loudly of course.

Oh now...there was something else. Oh! The Moria sequences were great, BUT. I don't think they made the Balin-discovery-thingie quite sad enough. That part in the book always made me tear up a bit. But in the movie, the only thing that got to me in that way was Boromir's death. That was a truly wonderful scene.

edit Dangit. I knew I'd forgotten something else. Galadriel/Rachel, Eowyn/Kelly and I were PROFOUNDLY disappointed that the on-screen Galadriel did not ONCE say "Don't touch the water."

Last edited by fireworks19 : 01-01-2002 at 11:32 PM.
fireworks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:54 AM   #31
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I saw the film for the fourth time last night, New Year's Eve...at a small theatre, with a bar. It was really neat to toast Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday with a good glass of Pale India Ale!

Nothing quite like a good Ent draught and first class rendering of FotR!
Old 01-02-2002, 12:02 PM   #32
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, my disappointment in the treatment of the Fellowship in the land of the Galadrim was that most of the gifts of Galadriel were omitted. Only the Phial was given in the film, and it disturbs me greatly that Samwise's box of soil and mallorn seed were not included. This lends credence to the rumor that the Scouring of the Shire may be cut or severely altered. That plus this rumor that Saruman dies on a spike at Orthanc kinda shakes my confidence in the next two films, albeit slightly. I still can't wait to see them.

In my humble Entingish opinion...
Old 01-02-2002, 12:30 PM   #33
Lightice
Elven Warrior

I doubt, that Scouring of the Shire will appear at all in movies.
That gift part was one clue, another is, that after visions of Gladriel's Mirror, she says: "I know what you saw, becouse it's in my mind as well. That's what happens, if you fail", or something like that.
And it would propably be huge anticlimax for average movie watcher.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #34
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think, maybe beyond hope, that the one shot of The Shire in Galadriel's mirror, looking all grey and black and like a slag heap, without the orcs scourging hobbits, shows us that the scouring will be included, albeit altered and abbrebiated.

I do hope that Saruman will die on the steps of Bag End at the hands of Grima Wormtongue. That scene in the book wrapped up the entire story for me. I would love to see Christopher Lee stab Frodo and not succeed, and hear him tell Frodo that the hobbit has grown. That is a powerful scene, in my humble entingish opinion.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:41 PM   #35
Pailan
Elven Warrior

I am still marveling in the amount of detail in this movie. At times I wanted the film stopped so I could really take a look around. At Bag End I was so psyced to see the map with the moon runes that Bilbo and company used to get to the Lonely Mountain. The constant stream of chapter allusions was fantastic as well. I counted five. But then I got so swept in the movie that didn't keep score any longer. Did anyone else try and keep score? Plus it was great to hear actual Tolkien written dialog being used. I was afraid that there would be hardly any. The finding of Balin's book next to his tomb. The refrences to "There and Back Again" while the hobbits were chillin' at Rivendell. I could go on and on. (and I probably will
Old 01-02-2002, 03:26 PM   #36
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well I liked some of the scenes that weren't even in the book. The part where Boromir is teaching Merry and Pipin to sword fight is very good.
Some of the images and characterisation is also superb! First time I saw Gandalf i was like Oh My God thats him! And then I saw Sam! Sean Astin with that curly hair and cute little smile is Sam! I was like gapping in the audiance!!! The last alliance was also very good and I jumped right out of my skin when Bilbo make a pass for that ring.
Ten out of ten Mr Jackson
Hopefully the next one will be just as good if not better.
luv
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:41 PM   #37
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Then there is the scene where Boromir has picked up the ring. In my head I was saying not right but my heart is beating saying this is very effective... finally at Arogorn's insistance Boromir gives the ring back to Frodo and then we are allowed to see Arogorn had his hand on the hilt of his sword the entire time. Nicely done, as it reveals the natures of the two Men in the Fellowship. Powerful stuff it really sets up Boromir's end very well.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:08 PM   #38
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

Arwen Undomiel

Favorite character:

All of them, especially the elves!

Favorite fight scene:

Every one where Legolas shoots his arrow. I like watching that.

Favorite scene:

Where Boromir dies. "My brother, my captain, my king." It's just so sad.

When Bilbo becomes a monster for a second because of the temptation of the ring. That's sad too.

When Frodo puts on the ring.

Favorite critter:

Gollum and Uruk-Hai.

Favorite place:

Rivendell

Favorite details:

The Elvish bow.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:19 PM   #39
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Each of the four times I've seen the film, "My brother, my captain, my king" brought me to tears, and I don't cry at movies very often. An incredible performance with Mortensen and Bean, beautiful interplay. Good call.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:14 PM   #40
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

GRRRRRRRRR!! I hate computers!! I just wrote a huge rant and for some reason I got disconnected. But anyway,
I LOVE THE MOVIE!!!!! FotR is seriously the best movie I've ever seen. You could not convince me otherwise if you held a gun to my head@!!! i have now seen it 4 times (the fourth on new year's eve) but my dad said he won't pay for me to go anymore!! what to do?? anyway, favorite things:

Things:
Dragon firework
Mithril coat
Sam's cooking gear

Characters:
Frodo all the way baby!!! And the Oscar goes to... Elijah Wood!
Sam
Merry & Pippin
Gandalf
Everyone else!!

Creatures:
Gollum. his contracting pupils creeped me out!
balrog
the black riders' horses. was that blood on their hooves?

scenes:
THE WHOLE MOVIE!!
but if i had to choose, here's a few:
Frodo dancing at Bilbo's party. that was so cool! man, those hobbit girls are lucky!
boromir trying to take the ring from frodo
bilbo's fit of evilness. scary! i almost jumped out of my seat!
all of Moria was awesome
Legolas' faster-than-the-eye-can-see fighting
the council of elrond when Elrond says that some one will have to go to mordor and no one volunteers, they all just sit there in silence. leave it to the hobbits to save middle earth!

places:
the shire!!!

quotes:
"We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast? . . . What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?"
"Ash in my tomatoes!"
pretty much anything by Pippin.

Frodo's laugh. makes my heart leap with joy.

music:
the black rider theme song
the suspenseful music when bilbo has the ring in his hand and is about to drop it and leave. that part is really, really good. can't wait to get the soundtrack!!

everyone crying after they get out of Moria. especially frodo! i almost cried myself.
when frodo is stabbed by the "morgul blade" of a black rider
fighting the cave troll

ah! i'd better stop cuz i'm sure everyone's annoyed with me by now!! hee hee hee

it is WAY too late . . . wait, it's only 6 o clock. what is wrong with me???

frodo lives! MWAHAHAHA!!! dancing frodo!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote