Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2003, 01:08 AM   #21
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Well, yes, but if your characters are interesting and the story contains funny twists and things, it's all good anyway.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:05 AM   #22
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh yes! I would much rather read a traditional storyline handled with fabulous writing skills, than something weird and/or convoluted, just to be "difererent". Just because something is "different", never been done before, or *weird* does NOT make it better. People try too hard along these lines. (IMO) Tell a great story! That's what keeps them reading!
Old 07-24-2003, 12:58 PM   #23
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well I'd say that if you want to go with a traditional storyline, you'd better be prepared to try and do it better than any other writer who's ever tried it - and that's no small feat.

Stories are remembered for being a) original, or b) being the best story of that given concept. So if you want to go the saving-the-world elf-romance route - you'd better have the best world and the best elf.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #24
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Well said.

IronParrot, puh-leeze check into the Entmoot Anthology Forum and give me your valued opinion.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:16 PM   #25
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Okay - but right now it's giving me database errors up the wazoo. I'll check it again as soon as I can.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #26
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I thought of an idea for a sci/fi, or fantasy story, but am too busy (lazy ) to write it. I thought a thread for story ideas would be fun!

*The Venus scenario*
Somehow, scientists delvelop the technology to "pull the plug" on Venus's greenhouse atmosphere. (sort of like cloud seeding, but on a big scale ) A "hole" is punched into the Venusian atmosphere, the CO2 and heat gradually escapes into space. In about one hundred years, the planet's climate has stabilized and dramatically changed to allow for human colonization. The story could start at that point with fantastical descriptions of Venus's surface, and the tale of the first colonies. Well, there it is!

Lizra, have you ever read Perelandra by CS Lewis? Certainly uses the Venusian concept as though there were no (an it was indeed unknown at the time) greenhouse effect. Also, several short stories by Robert Heinlein.

?Any followup to this idea anywhere on the 'Moot?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote