Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2002, 12:34 AM   #21
osszie
Elven Warrior

Gronk!! would do well to tell us what specific problems he has with the Sil failing that he could always ask his friend Ben
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:48 AM   #22
Misty Mountain Goat
Hobbit

Thanks evrybody,
I think you have convinced me. Your depth and insight realy persuaded me, more to say than Millane anyways. Well i think i might go buy the sil now.
Misty Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:09 AM   #23
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I'd say the further into ME you read the less fun and more glorious it gets.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:25 AM   #24
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Yes markedel... although i have only read the lotr, the hobbit, the silm, book of lost tales 1, and reading unfinished tales now. But, first starting the silm, I ploughed through most parts. Same with the beginning of lost tales 1. The unfinished tales i find utterly enjoyable (although I am reading it out of order... starting with the tale of turin, which has always been my favorite). People who have seen the movie need to read the books. People who read the books need to read the silm. People who read the silm need to read the histories. People who read the histories need to read the Unfinished Tales. People who read the Unfinished Tales need to read the letters. You cannot truly understand LOTR unless you have done this.

-~*Sminty*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 10:40 AM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It's probably best to read Unfinished Tales after the Silmarillion.

The best order I know of is:

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales

Then LotRs again

The Histories of Middle-earth in no particular order.

And finally, Letters.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 11:12 AM   #26
Sminty_Smeagol

well whatever. I still havent read all the histories and couldn't get my hands on unfinished tales for a while, so I read lost tales 1 first
Old 10-11-2002, 11:26 AM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I actually found letters to be a good read after UT and the Sil... filled in those gaps I was still confused about. But otherwise I pretty much agree with the order.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #28
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I would think that "Letters" is one of those books you could go to at anytime after reading the Sil. Still don't have it. People never get you what you ask for as gifts.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #29
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Sister Golden Hair:

You have not had the dubious privilidge of observing me flame. Trust me when I say that that wasn't it. ]: )

Last edited by Wayfarer : 10-11-2002 at 12:46 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:14 PM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Wayfarer, that is the way I saw it and called it. If you want to discuss it further, feel free to PM me, email me, or IM me.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:48 PM   #31
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

SGH, sorry you didn't get "Letters" But I think you should just buy it as present for yourself! It's Friday - get "Letters", a large cup of your favorite beverage (I like Starbuck's hot Chai tea - yum! and it's a cold misty day here today, too - perfect!!) and settle in for a good read. And as I said somewhere else, it's a perfect "car" book - line at the bank? Hey, got Letters right here in my car! early for an appointment? (well..... I don't usually have that problem, but you might!) Hey, here's Letters!

Whoops, got carried away and thought this was the Letters thread. Anyway, I think it's a good plan. I'm sure lots of us would send you a copy if we could only squish it through the phone lines!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 02:05 PM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
SGH, sorry you didn't get "Letters" But I think you should just buy it as present for yourself! It's Friday - get "Letters", a large cup of your favorite beverage (I like Starbuck's hot Chai tea - yum! and it's a cold misty day here today, too - perfect!!) and settle in for a good read. And as I said somewhere else, it's a perfect "car" book - line at the bank? Hey, got Letters right here in my car! early for an appointment? (well..... I don't usually have that problem, but you might!) Hey, here's Letters!

Whoops, got carried away and thought this was the Letters thread. Anyway, I think it's a good plan. I'm sure lots of us would send you a copy if we could only squish it through the phone lines!
Thanks Rian. I will eventually get around to buying it. In the meantime I still have a lot of the Histories to keep me busy reading.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:18 PM   #33
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

GRONK had read that thread Rian mentioned but thats not quite what GRONKs getting at. GRONK's problem isnt comprehension its getting into the book. If GRONK can get into a book comprehension usually easily follows. Anyway, GRONKs not sure about the moving and heroic thing. The only author GRONK ever liked because the author's books were more moving then they were entertaining was Ray Bradbury. Anyone ever read anything by Terry Pratchett? Those are GRONK's sort of heroes.
GRONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 05:15 PM   #34
Sminty_Smeagol

Maybe GRONK just wasn't cut out to read Tolkien. He isn't for everyone. No matter what we say, a book is a book. The Silmarillion won't magically become easier to get in to.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #35
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Its not Tolkien as a whole GRONK thought the Hobbit and LotR were great.
GRONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 07:05 PM   #36
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GRONK!!!
Its not Tolkien as a whole GRONK thought the Hobbit and LotR were great.
If GRONK thought the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings were great, then he will think they're even greater if he reads the Silmarillion.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:36 PM   #37
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I've read Prachett almost as much or more than I've read Tolkien. Didn't stop me from liking the Sil though. Just because you're more familiar with enjoying one sort of writing style doesn't mean you can't learn to enjoy a less light hearted style of writing just as much. The silmarillion is not very entertaining the first time around. To be blunt it is the heaviest most depressing and confusing book I have ever come across. But once you've finished slogging through it and you've had a chance to go back and read the other lighter books about Middle Earth then everything sort of clicks into place, (not at once but it does eventually,) and once that has happened you'll find that you can go back and forth between the two stories and find amusing lr entertaining bits in both that you wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't read the Sil. So while it isn't what you could call an entertaining read it is a read that is nessecary for understanding and appreciating some of Tolkien's other more lighthearted stories. Even if you don't particularilly like it at first you should keep going till the end because you will be glad of doing so later on.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 11:59 PM   #38
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I just want to say that anyone named GRONK!!! who refers to himself in the third person is cool. No sarcasm intended. Although, ... If I think he's cool, he's probably a geek.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:02 AM   #39
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
I just want to say that anyone named GRONK!!! who refers to himself in the third person is cool. No sarcasm intended. Although, ... If I think he's cool, he's probably a geek.
You know Dylan, there was a time when I thought GRONK might be you.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:54 AM   #40
Sminty_Smeagol

Hehehe... Talking in third person is kinda fun.