Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-25-2002, 03:02 PM   #21
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

Accualy I have seen the lotr fotr 13 times as of last night... I saw it 3 times in the theater, and then 10 times over the last couple of months that it has been on DVD. I have seen lotr TTT 3 times in the theater... SCORE! I just got the extended version of fotr for christmas so my dad is going to watch it with me tonight! When I sat down to watch it each of those 13 times, I was definetly NOT thinking, wow I am only watching this for Viggo and Orlando and Elija...
although they are all cute...
I watch it becasue I love the storie and now, the movie!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:06 PM   #22
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Adrian would you believe me if I told you a friend of my friend saw FOTR in theater 20 times? I meself saw it 9 times in theater.
I have my moments of dreaminess, but it's really cool to look into the way they got into movie making. And after reading some of the interviews you just kind of have to see what they say about one of their hobbies (like surfing or bungee jumping) is true.
Unfortunatly I dont have an ocean near my house so I cant try the surfing...but I can jump from a 30 ft tall diving board at the pool in Lava Hot Springs and that's about as close to bungee jumping I'm gonna get.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:21 PM   #23
diannah
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee

Ok, let me get this straight--you think girls are only into the lord of the rings because of Orlando Bloom?[FLAME DELETED] First off, personally I fancy Sam and second of all I'm not just into it for Sean Astin. When will this stigma that fantasy is boys end?[FLAME DELETED] Oh and I suppose that you don't like Arwen, Galadriel or Eowyn. But then I guess you would think it would be alright if you did because you are a supreme and always correct male. Right, in another world besides this one and Middle- Earth. What I think it all comes down to is that you boys want to keep the Bath Song all for yourselves.

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 07:49 PM   #24
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

oooooo it's not just bout Orlando.......ELIJAH IS WAY BETTER! That's how i started to love the movie and books!
Old 12-25-2002, 11:31 PM   #25
TinuvielChild
Padawan

First of all: LotR is LotR. Admittedly, they cast some REALLY hot guys in it. But LotR is LotR.

Secondly: Those of you who are vehemently protesting the idea that the only reason to watch LotR is for the hot guys, either learn how to correctly use the English language, or take some typing lessons. Either one would greatly enhance your credibility. Lemme dig up bropous's famous rant about those of us that consistently misused Tolkien's fair language...

Ah, here we go. The remainder of this post is completely bropous's words, from the LotR Easter Egg Mistake thread, in the LotR Movie forum, from much, much earlier this year. Somewhere around Easter, as it were.

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
QUOTE: "i dunno the difference. i didn't know that there woz one, but sumone sed that there woz a difference between canadian and american, so i woz just stating wot type of smarties my raid woz going 2 b on, english american or canadian !!!!"

QUOTE: "sorry strawberry, and i wozn't jst calling u names. don't invent things n e way"

Pardon me while I take an anti-nauseant and vent my literary spleen.

Folks, a person can write or post in any manner they choose, within constraints of the admins and mods, but what is so BLOODY difficult about posting in proper English? You ARE discussing, at least in other threads, the works of an OXFORD PROFESSOR OF LANGUAGES, for Pete's sake! Can't you show an OUNCE of respect for the man, for the generations of time he spent grading papers in cloistered houses, for the regiments of students he guided on the path to greater understanding of the arts of communications, and for the sensibilities of others who see this retrograde, southron Orcish and cry, "Aieeee! Aieeeee! The language of Mordor is heard in Rivendell! Bespeak it no more!!!!"

Seriously. It is not difficult to write "be" when you mean "be", it is not difficult to write "was" when you mean "was", it is not difficult to write "what" when you mean "what", it is not difficult to write "to" when you mean "to", "too" when you mean "too", or "two" when you mean "two"!!!! Why in the heck write "wuz" for "was"? It's the same number of keystrokes, you ain't saving any time! And MAYBE if you wrote "before" instead of "b 4", you might improve your typing skills AND your language skills. The posts I have seen in this goblin/trollish drivel makes one wonder whether the author of the post ever even TOUCHED a book of greater challenge than "Curious George".

You are here, you've obviously read the books, how about taking a little bit of effort and write in proper English? A bit of colloquialisms or intential poor grammar from time to time are acceptable, sometimes even disarmingly charming, but a constant barrage of "near-English" in a Tolkien discussion group is like showing up at a black tie dinner in a blue suit with brown shoes.

Folks, you have some learning about you, you're not some illiterate street punks, you have read the books of the Master, did his mastery of the language have NO effect on you WHATSOEVER???????? Are you in no way embarassed to speak in broken, stilted, pidgin-English in a group of people discussing the Lord of the Rings? I am sure you are capable of FAR more effective communication.

Have some respect for the language, and for the work which the Master poured into the books. We are not discussing some rap hip-hop unintelligible garbage, we are discussing the most important works of literature produced in the Twentieth Century. [Did I balance compliments with critique sufficiently? Didn't want to make this a flame harangue in any way. Post as you wish. Best wishes, all. Soapbox dismounted.]
Take his words to heart and gain points not only here, but in your English classes!

[edit] This is only aimed at those of us whose native language is English. Those whose English is not so great because it is not their mother tongue (such as Radagast the Brown) have an excuse.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 12-26-2002 at 07:01 PM.
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 02:20 AM   #26
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Well put Bropous, and TC for sticking that little speech in this thread. I know that I am in no way innocent of sounding like an idiot when I post things, but when people post entire sentences without using any vowels, well they certainly do not sound like people who like LOTR for more than the hot guys.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:26 AM   #27
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Firekitten2006
Nobody said they think Gollum is hott *drools* ok I'm just kidding lol
I DID!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 10:46 AM   #28
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm sorry, but where did the anti-fangirls use poor English? I didn't see that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 03:06 PM   #29
TinuvielChild
Padawan

It wasn't so much poor English as the "chat-speak" - you know, "n e way", "b4", things like that. And things like writing "there" when they obviously meant "their" or "they're". I never said it was all of the anti-fangirls; only a few of them. Mostly, though, it's a phenomenon that appears on Entmoot during the influx of newbies right after another LotR movie comes out. Please, people, don't take that rant personally, but please do correct yourself if you find yourself writing in this "retrograde, southron Orcish", for the good of us all.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 12-26-2002 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:05 PM   #30
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

originaly posted by Erawyn
Quote:
but when people post entire sentences without using any vowels, well they certainly do not sound like people who like LOTR for more than the hot guys.
I know that I type horribly, and that my english is not the best. But I don't think that gives you the right to say that I am only into Lotr because of the hot guys! Because that is not true! I read the books before I saw the movies, and fell in love with them! The hot guys are maybe one of the reasons I like the movie soooo much, but definetly not the books, which I think are 10 times better than the movies will ever be! If some people care so much about correct grammer and spelling, (not that there is anything wrong with taking pride in correctly speaking the english language) maybe a spell chack feature should be added to this forum.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:34 PM   #31
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Eowyn CALM DOWN. There are ALOT of people on this board to have stinky English. I think Erawyn wasn't talking about you.
Have you ever seen a chat room where the only think they use are smiley faces and lower case letters to get their point across? I think that's what he was talking about.
So calm down. You have good english...for a fangirl.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...

Last edited by samwise of the shire : 12-26-2002 at 04:39 PM.
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:11 PM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

What does having good English, spelling, etc... have to do with liking a movie full of hot actors?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 06:59 PM   #33
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I have no idea!

To whoever started this thread Why did you start it? Was it just to have a go at the people who like Orlando Bloom!!
I like Orlando alot but I also like LOTR!! It was just a coincidence that they were put together on the big screen! a good one too!!

Last edited by Varda Oiolosseo : 12-26-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:06 PM   #34
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
What does having good English, spelling, etc... have to do with liking a movie full of hot actors?

I posted what I did because some people were saying that they liked LotR because of the books (and presumably Tolkien's mastery of the English language), not only because of hot actors. I cited bropous's soapbox dissertation because I felt that if these people didn't use the 'pidgin-English' normally seen in chatrooms, it would lend credibility to their argument. If I am in the wrong here, feel free to take whatever action you deem appropriate.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:21 PM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
I posted what I did because some people were saying that they liked LotR because of the books (and presumably Tolkien's mastery of the English language), not only because of hot actors. I cited bropous's soapbox dissertation because I felt that if these people didn't use the 'pidgin-English' normally seen in chatrooms, it would lend credibility to their argument. If I am in the wrong here, feel free to take whatever action you deem appropriate.
No problem at all TC. I just wanted to understand why it mattered about good English and whatever.

I think the thread starter said something about his wife being a big OB fan or something, and after the fangirl thread, I think he was just wanting to know if all the women out there are seeing this movie for the hot guys, or for the story itself.

I saw it because I love the books, but I'll say that having a bunch of hot fellas in the movie certianly is a plus.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:31 PM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

I'm with you SGH. I'd be at these movies even if Rod Stewart was Legolas and Hank Williams Jr played Aragorn. (ick & icky!) The addition of sexy men just ups my interest and possibly the $'s I'll spend. They know what they're doing! It is good! I think the sexy men are magnified because they play righteous, valiant characters. The only evil "looker" (so far) is Lurtz!
Old 12-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #37
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Sam Gamgee

Ok well lets think about this

1st of all, sometimes I'm just lazy and talk like that Its ok, no reason to get worked up about it.

2nd I dont know about you, but it would be pretty distracting if they had some dirty hobo playing Frodo and a dirty scummy old man playing Gandalf. I dont think I would stay to watch the movie. I'm glad they cast good looking people, and then just added makeup or whatever to make them look dirty.

3rd I did read the books first and saw the movie after I read the books and I wouldnt have seen the movie if I hadnt have read the books. Its just not my normal type of movie. I'm more in to murder mysteries (*loved* murder by numbers) and comdeys (10 things I hate about you). I didnt even know the books existed tho (see its "chat talk!" LOL) until I saw an ad at school in the library for the movies/books.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:45 AM   #38
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Sorry I came across as kind of b*tchy there!
Quote:
Have you ever seen a chat room where the only think they use are smiley faces and lower case letters to get their point across? I think that's what he was talking about.
Yeah pretty much. I really wasn't talking about anyone in particular here, but I do agree with the people who said that as we are on here talking mainly about books that proper English would be nice.

And btw, I'm a girl

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:54 AM   #39
Merlin
Hobbit

Does anybody have any idea what I've found out from this thread? About 60% of the people who have signed are civilized humans, and aren't crazy about Orlando Bloom. Sorry, but thats a strange name. Good thread,

I run unchecked through my house. (scary thought)

Get your butt in here Courtney!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:37 AM   #40
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Oh! An on topic post from me, for once...

The first time I heard the name Orlando Bloom, I seriously went "Orlando Bloom? As in Florida Flower???" It amused me greatly...

And lazy people or those who can't type well, it's okay. It's just the chat-speak that really bugs me. Sometimes I get really annoyed about spelling/grammar errors, but the problem with that is when I make one, everyone jumps on it! Tired....

FRODO LIVES!!!!!