Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-19-2000, 03:14 AM   #21
SkateSand

Re: Music of the LOTR Movie

Don't hurt me, but I think Hans Zimmer could handle this soundtrack. He'd be great with the battle scenes, and he is capable of the more ethereal stuff for the softer moods.

Laurie (cringing)
Old 07-19-2000, 07:38 AM   #22
Griff Nizz

I think that the best music for the movie would have to be Orchestral, Celtic and also some metal type music, it just goes so well in fight scenes and action scenes in movies.
Old 07-19-2000, 02:07 PM   #23
bmilder

Well, I really like Zimmer's Gladiator soundtrack, especially the battle music, so he could probably handle LotR.
Old 07-19-2000, 03:29 PM   #24
IronParrot

I LOVED Hans Zimmer's Gladiator score. Something along those lines would be great for LOTR. However, that was really a one-in-a-million for him... The Lion King is his only other really great score... but if he can pull something off as great as what he did for Gladiator, that would be wonderful.
Old 07-20-2000, 12:57 AM   #25
Darth Tater

I like Zimmer's stuff but like it's been said he is kinda risky.
Old 07-22-2000, 12:21 AM   #26
Darth Tater

Though I love John William's work I used to think he was wrong for this movie. Well, tonight my opinion was changed. I was watching Evening at Pops and he was conducting. The program was mostly his own compositions.

"Notes on the Evening at Pops Selections by Steven Ledbetter

ANGELA'S ASHES
John Williams (b.1932)

When John Williams was creating the score for Alan Parker's screen adaptation of Frank McCourt's best-selling memoir, Angela's Ashes, he decided not to use traditional Irish or Celtic melodies as the basis of his composition; rather, he would let them serve as inspiration for his own original music. Although the finished product has Celtic influences, these are woven into an eloquent and sweeping score that captures the compelling and poignant beauty of the story."
From pbs.org

As beautifull as his Angela's Ashes score is it wasn't the best part. They played an excerpt from his score for "Far and Away", which has some incredible Celtic sounds in it. It reminded me how versatile a composer he is, and I now think Williams would be perfect for LOTR.
Old 07-22-2000, 04:12 AM   #27
arynetrek

metal

now that a few people have already mentioned this, i think i can bring this up without fearign for my life...

metallica, when they're being balladic, can sound VERY middle-earthy - esp. their obscure melodic stuff. "unforgiven II" always reminds me of aragorn & arwen. but metal just wouldn't work for them, as beautiful & sad a song as that is. right now i can't think of anything that would fit them.

aryne *
Old 07-22-2000, 08:17 PM   #28
lindil

Re: metal / soundtrack music

I think that liz fraser of the cocteau twins should be given singing duties for galadriel [and God forboid if they have arwen/xena break into anything other than a warcry[ although she could prob. handle it well.
As for the music proper I would see a combnination of braveheart and windham hii type music [thinking esp. of remedios by william ackerman and some of the violin and mandolin of anger marshall - and garden by ackerman and the chronos quart.
Old 07-22-2000, 11:13 PM   #29
etherealunicorn

re: music

since no one else has so far, I will mention that on Enya's album Shepherd Moons, there is a song(well, actually, a piece of music) that is called Lothlorien. Has an unearthly sort of feel to it.
Old 07-23-2000, 03:45 PM   #30
Shanamir Duntak

Re: re: music

The one song that sounds really Middle-earthly from Metallica is Call of Cthulu (From Ride the lightning). Go get the Mp3 and close your eyes while listening to this.
I always imagine a combat between an almost froze-to-death-by-the-winter Dunedan and a huge troll. The combat is epic and the man dies with the troll at the end...

Well... I have a lot of imagination but, hey everybody, just do it, you won't regret
Old 07-24-2000, 01:17 AM   #31
Griff Nizz

Music

If you want a brilliant song for the LOTR movie, you would have to have Smack my bitch up by The Prodigy, perfect for a fight scene, heh heh
Old 07-24-2000, 11:03 AM   #32
Fat middle

Re: Music

i've just heard a rumor about the music of the film: Howard Shore could be the composser. i regret i do not know what is the source of this rumor.

some of the scorings by Shore:
High Fidelty
Dogma
The Game
The Wonders
Big
Mrs. Doubtfire
Philadelphia
Seven
Ed Wood
The Silence of the Lambs

i think it´d be a good new if confimed.
Old 07-24-2000, 10:16 PM   #33
Wizard of the Secret Fire

Hear you can find the rumor:

www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=127

Parts of soundtracks:

'Se7en' movietunes.hollywood.com/...en,00.html

'The Game'
movietunes.hollywood.com/...me,00.html

'Dogma'

movietunes.hollywood.com/...ma,00.html

'Cop Land'

movietunes.hollywood.com/...nd,00.html

Arynetrek, have you heard Enya's Lothlórien?, also really like Lorien
Old 07-25-2000, 03:00 AM   #34
arynetrek

i think the song i was talking about was "lothlorien" - i heard it most recently in mp3 form & for some bizarre reason it had a description-thing instead of a title as its title (if that makes sense). Call of Ktulu would make excellent fight-the-orcs music. and prodigy would be good if used properly - as in the battle at Helm's Deep.

aryne *
Old 07-25-2000, 03:03 PM   #35
Shanamir Duntak

At least someone agrees with me for call of ktulu!
Old 11-12-2002, 03:15 PM   #36
Elrénia
Sapling

Music from the books

I think it's a shame they didn't put "The lay of Nimrodel" in the film. It's a lovely song.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:54 PM   #37
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Wow... old threads. Gotta love'em.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:44 PM   #38
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
THere's a link on TORN to here the some music from TTT: Forth Eorlingas and Riders of Rohan. Awesome stuff!
Old 11-16-2002, 12:36 AM   #39
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

What?? There's a link to the music?? I couldnt find it... I did find the track list and release date though.. December 10th. Gosh I am almost as excited about the soundtrack as I am about the movie!!!!