Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

By the time the Valar did something, one of the Silmarils was set to be in the sky as a guide. They took the other two from the crown of Morgoth, but we don't know what they were going to do with them. Thanks to Maglor and Meadhros stealing them 'back', one of them was thrown into a pit of fire (followed by the owner), the other was thrown into the sea (not followed by the owner). And unless the Valar broke the world (which would by very unpracticle, as well as messy), they wre lost forever.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Therefor the Vala and the Maiar should of gone after him to correct the error and Eru's plan.
They actually did go after him, the soonest they found about what he did
Quote:
I like to think (unless it's stated in conon somewhere) that he gave Each of the Valar a different asspect of his mind, but to Melkor/Morgoth, he gave a lttle bit of everything.
That's stated in the Ainulindale, indeed
Quote:
And they didn't interfear because they wanted togive the Nldor a chance to repent for the rebellion and the kinslaying.
I disagree; the reason given in Myths Transformed, HoME X, is that a war with Melkor would have destroyed Arda.
Quote:
At the last possible moment, they came to the rescue, because of what i say below.
That was actually the first possible moment; the statement appears in Notes on motives in the Silmarillion, iii, Myths Transformed - I don't have the books here, but its there.
Quote:
Once the trees were rekindled the Silmarils might be replaced and Melkor could be dealt with by the light of the trees
In the Silmarillion, Feanor states that he can't make the Silmarils again, regardless the circumstances.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #23
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval

That's stated in the Ainulindale, indeed

I disagree; the reason given in Myths Transformed, HoME X, is that a war with Melkor would have destroyed Arda.

That was actually the first possible moment; the statement appears in Notes on motives in the Silmarillion, iii, Myths Transformed - I don't have the books here, but its there.

In the Silmarillion, Feanor states that he can't make the Silmarils again, regardless the circumstances.
Yo, Landroval. I haven't seen you on in ages. How you doing.

Well, yes, there was that detail as well. But these are the main two reasons, for them not doing anything sooner.

Unfortunatly, i've never read that bit. I can cope with it upto that discussion with Finrod and that woman, but after that, it just gets boring for me.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #24
Leviathan
Sapling

Of course Feanor can't remake them, namely because he's dead. I think it was within Aule's power though, not to remake them but to refresh them, if you will. All substance of earth, including the gems the Silmarils were crafted of, were under his rule and their properties were of him. I don't think the Silmarils could be destroyed so there would be no need to "remake" them
Leviathan rising like a tower from the depths of Ekkaia, the far off outer sea, where the boats of men and elves will not venture. Of all the beast of Ea Leviathan is mightiest by far. As old as the sea itself, a servant of Ulmo, loyal to Osse.
Beware the swell of the sea, beware the Leviathan
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #25
jammi567

They can only be made once, because they were fated to be made only once. I don't think even Aule kno what they were made of.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 AM   #26
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Of course Feanor can't remake them, namely because he's dead.
Theoretically, all elves can be reimbodied, unless they did horrendous deeds and are unwilling to repent (I think Feanor failed on both accounts...); the rehousing is presumed in Feanor's case too, since he himself will break the Silmarils, according to the second prophecy of Mandos.
Quote:
I don't think the Silmarils could be destroyed so there would be no need to "remake" them
Yavanna sure did fear that, according to Of the flight of the noldor, Silmarillion.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #27
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
Ohhhh, please. Did you even read the 'Ainulindale'. Eru thought of the Valar, and then they sang songs that created the world, and the history of it. So you're telling me that that he didn't think and plan how Arda was going to be from the start? He'd be a pretty bad God in that case, wouldn't he.
I know, thats what I mean. He planned it all, the asshole! I was being sarcastic. I hate his planning.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:53 AM   #28
jammi567

Quote:
Theoretically, all elves can be reimbodied, unless they did horrendous deeds and are unwilling to repent (I think Feanor failed on both accounts...)
I think you mean he succeded here, not failed.

The last sane person. Why do you think Eru is an asshole for planning everything that's to happen in the future?

Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #29
Tulkas
Hobbit

Quote:
yeah Orome and Tulkas went but they came back....i mean they should of kept persuing him untill they had him in bonds again, and more of the vala should of gone after him.

-Felagund, the greatest of the Noldo, and to walk Middle-Earth.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
Landroval
Elven Warrior

That was beyond their means; Ungoliant was leading them astray with her unlight, and Melkor was soon within reach of his mighty balrog host. As stated in Myths Transformed, a war sooner than the war of wrath would have meant the phisical destruction of Arda
Quote:
But in this way Morgoth lost (or exchanged, or transmuted) the greater part of his original 'angelic' powers, of mind and spirit, while gaining a terrible grip upon the physical world. For this reason he had to be fought, mainly by physical force, and enormous material ruin was a probable consequence of any direct combat with him, victorious or otherwise. This is the chief explanation of the constant reluctance of the Valar to come into open battle against Morgoth... The whole of 'Middle-earth' was Morgoth's Ring, though temporarily his attention was mainly upon the North-west. Unless swiftly successful, War against him might well end in reducing all Middle-earth to chaos, possibly even all Arda. It is easy to say: 'It was the task and function of the Elder King to govern Arda and make it possible for the Children of Eru to live in it unmolested.' But the dilemma of the Valar was this: Arda could only be liberated by a physical battle; but a probable result of such a battle was the irretrievable ruin of Arda.
The last intervention with physical force by the Valar, ending in the breaking of Thangorodrim, may then be viewed as not in fact reluctant or even unduly delayed, but timed with precision
Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #31
Tulkas
Hobbit

ohhhhh ok i get it now, thank you.

-Felagund, the greatest of the Noldo, and to walk Middle-Earth.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #32
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
That was beyond their means; Ungoliant was leading them astray with her unlight, and Melkor was soon within reach of his mighty balrog host. As stated in Myths Transformed, a war sooner than the war of wrath would have meant the phisical destruction of Arda
I don't see how that quote address the issue of why it would have been worse for the Valar to have attacked Melkor sooner. Maybe it is something you did not include. What was the reason given as to why the timing for the War of Wrath was so precise?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #33
jammi567

Because Morgoth was getting out of hand, and they had to stop him, overwise, the whole of middle earth would be distroyed.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #34
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
I don't see how that quote address the issue of why it would have been worse for the Valar to have attacked Melkor sooner. Maybe it is something you did not include. What was the reason given as to why the timing for the War of Wrath was so precise?
Here is the explanation for the previous statements (same source):
Quote:
Morgoth though locally triumphant had neglected most of Middle-earth during the war; and by it he had in fact been weakened: in power and prestige (he had lost and failed to recover one of the Silmarils), and above all in mind. He had become absorbed in 'kingship', and though a tyrant of ogre-size and monstrous power, this was a vast fall even from his former wickedness of hate, and his terrible nihilism.
It was then made plain (though it must have been understood beforehand by Manwe and Namo) that, though he had 'disseminated' his power (his evil and possessive and rebellious will) far and wide into the matter of Arda, he had lost direct control of this, and all that 'he', as a surviving remnant of integral being, retained as 'himself and under control was the terribly shrunken and reduced spirit that inhabited his self-imposed (but now beloved) body.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #35
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Interesting. I haven't read HoME for a while, so will have to revisit that part.

It begs the question as to the necessity of Eärendil's voyage. Would the Valar have felt compelled to defeat Melkor if the voyage had failed, since Melkor would have more or less hit this weak state anyway, or could they have moved a bit earlier like right after the one Silmaril was taken?

Plus, it would seem to me that Melkor would have lost much more power over Arda during the thousands of years of his imprisonment than the 500ish years of the wars in Beleriand. It was my understanding that his dissemination of power occured very early on, and that his initial capture was after this. A capture which did not in fact destroy Arda.

I guess I'm trying to understand what changed between the initial capture of Melkor and the time shortly after his release that would have stopped the Valar from mounting an attack immediately, before even the elves had re-entered middle earth.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #36
Valtir
Sapling

It is said a couple of times that Morgoth got weaker as the ages went on since he invested his own power in his monsters and minions and mayhaps all of creation.

Perhaps the Vala knew this and preferred to wait. Also, perhaps the Vala too were weakened through time, and did not think they could pull it off.

Ultimately, however, they're following orders of Eru through Manwe, so we must assume Eru wanted Melkor free and dangerous, at least for a time.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #37
jammi567

yeah, because a) the more you invest your soul into something, the weaker you become (sauron anyone), b) melkor was a necessity to the history of the world, and c) the valar are punishing the elves for their disobayance.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #38
Maedhros
The Tall

From Ósanwe-kenta
Quote:
If we speak last of the "folly" of Manwe and the weakness and unwariness of the Valar, let us beware how we judge. In the histories, indeed, we may be amazed and grieved to read how (seemingly) Melkor deceived and cozened others, and how even Manwe appears at times almost a simpleton compared with him: as if a kind but unwise father were treating a wayward child who would assuredly in time perceive the error of his ways. Whereas we, looking on and knowing the outcome, see now that Melkor knew well the error of his ways, but was fixed in them by hate and pride beyond return. He could read the mind of Manwe, for the door was open; but his own mind was false and even if the door seemed open, there were doors of iron within closed for ever.
How otherwise would you have it? Should Manwe and the Valar meet secrecy with subterfuge, treachery with falsehood, lies with more lies? If Melkor would usurp their rights, should they deny his? Can hate overcome hate? Nay, Manwe was wiser; or being ever open to Eru he did His will, which is more than wisdom. He was ever open because he had nothing to conceal, no thought that it was harmful for any to know, if they could comprehend it. Indeed Melkor knew his will without questioning it; and he knew that Manwe was bound by the commands and injunctions of Eru, and would do this or abstain from that in accordance with them, always, even knowing that Melkor would break them as it suited his purpose. Thus the merciless will ever count on mercy, and the liars make use of truth; for if mercy and truth are withheld from the cruel and the lying, they have ceased to be honoured.
Manwe could not by duress attempt to compel Melkor to reveal his thought and purposes, or (if he used words) to speak the truth. If he spoke and said: this is true, he must be believed until proved false; if he said: this I will do, as you bid, he must be allowed the opportunity to fulfill his promise. (Note 8)
The force and restraint that were used upon Melkor by the united power of all the Valar, were not used to extort confession (which was needless); nor to compel him to reveal his thought (which was unlawful, even if not vain). He was made captive as a punishment for his evil deeds, under the authority of the King. So we may say; but it were better said that he was deprived for a term, fixed by promise, of his power to act, so that he might halt and consider himself, and have thus the only chance that mercy could contrive of repentance and amendment. For the healing of Arda indeed, but for his own healing also. Melkor had the right to exist, and the right to act and use his powers. Manwe had the authority to rule and to order the world, so far as he could, for the well-being of the Eruh*ni; but if Melkor would repent and return to the allegiance of Eru, he must be given his freedom again. He could not be enslaved, or denied his part. The office of the Elder King was to retain all his subjects in the allegiance of Eru, or to bring them back to it, and in that allegiance to leave them free.
Therefore not until the last, and not then except by the express command of Eru and by His power, was Melkor thrown utterly down and deprived for ever of all power to do or to undo.
Who among the Eldar hold that the captivity of Melkor in Mandos (which was achieved by force) was either unwise or unlawful? Yet the resolve to assault Melkor, not merely to withstand him, to meet violence with wrath to the peril of Arda, was taken by Manwe only with reluctance. And consider: what good in this case did even the lawful use of force accomplish? It removed him for a while and relieved Middle-earth from the pressure of his malice, but it did not uproot his evil, for it could not do so. Unless, maybe, Melkor had indeed repented. (Note 9) But he did not repent, and in humiliation he became more obdurate: more subtle in his deceits, more cunning in his lies, crueller and more dastardly in his revenge. The weakest and most imprudent of all the actions of Manwe, as it seems to many, was the release of Melkor from captivity. From this came the greatest loss and harm: the death of the Trees, and the exile and the anguish of the Noldor. Yet through this suffering there came also, as maybe in no other way could it have come, the victory of the Elder Days: the downfall of Angband and the last overthrow of Melkor.
Who then can say with assurance that if Melkor had been held in bond less evil would have followed? Even in his diminishment the power of Melkor is beyond our calculation. Yet some ruinous outburst of his despair is not the worst that might have befallen. The release was according to the promise of Manwe. If Manwe had broken this promise for his own purposes, even though still intending "good", he would have taken a step upon the paths of Melkor. That is a perilous step. In that hour and act he would have ceased to be the vice-gerent of the One, becoming but a king who takes advantage over a rival whom he has conquered by force. Would we then have the sorrows that indeed befell; or would we have the Elder King lose his honour, and so pass, maybe, to a world rent between two proud lords striving for the throne? Of this we may be sure, we children of small strength: any one of the Valar might have taken the paths of Melkor and become like him: one was enough.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 AM   #39
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Morgoth’s “weakness” was based upon his attempt to control all Arda by inserting or investing some of himself into everything in it. His will was expended by seeking to control and dominate the wills of others. His strength was spent in overpowering and enslaving others. Even in his weakness, he was greater than all of the Children of Ilúvatar, and he was greater than the Maiar. His feet were cut from under him, he was wrestled again by Tulkas, bound by the chain Angainor, and cast from Eä wherein was set the Flame Imperishable into the Outer Darkness where the Flame Imperishable came not.

It is not that you invest your being into something that you become weaker, particularly if that requires you to grow into becoming a better person! Sauron did not become weaker because he invested nearly all his native power into the One Ring: that made him stronger, because he could then use the powers of the other Ring Bearers; that is why the Eldar of Eregion took theirs off when they became aware of Sauron and his spell. Eventually, however, Sauron was separated from him Ruling Ring, and was thus diminished both by its absence and by the means by which he was deprived of it: it required centuries to take form again. He was not utterly destroyed because his native power was in the Ring, and it still existed; but he was not as strong as he had been and hoped again to be because the Ring was not in his possession. His fear was that one of the Wise would seize the Ring; and Gandalf and Aragorn used that fear – a paranoia, perhaps – to misguide him into “setting a surprise trap” (some surprise trap! They knew they were walking into a deadly trap) and turning all his attention on them. When the Ring was destroyed, all his power that he had invested in the Ring, along with all the power he had stolen through the other Rings of Power, was suddenly dissipated and undone: what was left of him was a mere shadow of malice, unable ever again to take shape.

To say that the Valar were punishing the Elves is not an accurate assessment of the situation, either. The Valar were stating what should have been obvious: We, The Valar, will go after Morgoth at a proper time, and you can accompany us then. If you go now, in anger and pride and vengeance, you will achieve nothing but your own deaths and destruction; and moreover, you have without cause murdered your own kinsfolk in your arrogant insolence and lust, and for this, a terrible price must be paid. It is not the right time, and you are not now the right leaders, though later you may be if you will stay and prepare.

It is akin to a parent saying to a child, “Do not put your hands on the stove: it is hot, it will burn you.” We told our nephew this over and over and over and over – it was interminable! One evening I heard a piercing yowl of pain, rushed into the kitchen, and found a mother and a grandmother and an aunt all frantic with ice and burn cream and a sobbing little boy who from time to time burst forth with new cries. After a trip to the hospital, he told everyone he was sorry, he was so sorry – and so were we. To him it seemed a punishment for disobedience, not the natural and unavoidable outcome of putting his hand on a hot burner of the stove. He did heal completely, and he does keep his hands from the stove, but what a hard and painful lesson him to learn, and so hard for all of us to watch him learn. Would Eru feel any differently for any one of his Children - could He?

Evil comes from refusing to do what is good. It is not a thing of itself, but takes is being from the negation of a thing. Evil has consequences: just as if you improperly build or maintain a bridge, it will collapse, as did this bridge in Montreal last week, so if you improperly or unjustly lead your life, your life will come apart.

When Melkor used his one chance to do good, to do what was right, and to obey the laws and edicts of Eru, he responded by
  • inducing another creature of evil intent to help him
    • kill the two trees
    • hide their escape
    • steal the Silmarils
  • whereupon he dumped his sidekick
  • proclaimed himself King of Arda,
  • made war upon the First Kindred in Beleriand,
  • misled the Second Kindred into rejected Eru and worshipping him,
  • and purposefully and deliberately and with malice aforethought do everything within his vast and amazing power to debase, debilitate, deface, dishonor, diminish and destroy the Children of Eru and the works of others.
That takes putting your hand on the stove either accidentally or because you want to see if NaNa is really telling you the truth when she says that “the stovetop will burn you” to a whole new level – several levels and many magnitudes greater.

Eru did not make Melkor to do all these evil things that he did. By that I mean Eru did not make Melkor with the intent or the purpose of committing evil, nor did Eru cause Melkor to commit evil: Melkor was inventive in his own right, inventiveness being a great gift of Eru to him, and he abused that gift by concocting schemes and plans and actions that he knew were hurtful to Eru who made him and loved him. Is this crazy? Yes, it is. Do we, each and every one of use, see it every day at home in dealings between parents and children, at work between coworkers and between managers and employees, at church among clergy and at church between clergy and laity, in social settings of every kind between one faction and another? Does that make it right? No! The nature of evil is to make enemies of those who should be friends, to deal out early death, to maim bodies and break hearts and rot souls. It is a disease, not one created by the Creator, but invented in all its rotten, dark-hearted, vile and hateful forms by those who have rebelled and continue to rebel against their Creator. Did Eru know what would happen? Yes, he did. Should he deprive the good of what they might have so that the evil might be avoided? Or should he deprive the evil of all possibility of action before anything has taken place? Are any of us perfectly good? So could any of us be alive if every evil action is blocked or its actor unmade?

Besides, “freedom” is not “True Freedom” unless you have also the right and capacity to screw up, to make mistakes, even if they are deliberate mistakes that might hurt others. There are consequences for such decisions and actions, certainly; but the hurt and damage are not all undone. Evil can arise because some abuse their Freedom. If this frightens you, your only alternative is to willingly enslave yourself to something or someone, and let that other make for you every decision in life; but even then, you may be hurt or killed by one who has not renounced his Freedom but has misused it. If you would be Free, then you must take the chance that by your choices you will make mistakes; and if you would not have slaves, then you must grant to those about you those same choices and that same chance.

Nothing is evil in its beginning. Even Sauron was not so. So said Gandalf, and he was there. But primordial evil is spread throughout all Arda through expenditure by Morgoth of his strength and will, in every little bit and piece of it. Athrabeth, a wise-woman of the First House of the Edain, told Finrod that some Men clung to the Old Hope: that Eru Himself would enter Arda and correct the problems and cure the disease. Finrod (whose brother Aegnor loved Athrabeth, and she loved him) asked her how this could be, but she did not know. But to fight evil is a requirement of being good: and so Finrod went to join Aegnor in the Dorthonion marches to fight evil.

Morgoth attempted to enslave all Arda. He expended his strength and will in overwhelming the strengths and wills of others. Eru gave him Freedom, which he abused outrageously; but Eru also knew precisely when the Host of the West should hit Morgoth and stop his nefarious rule. Manwë listened, he obeyed, Morgoth was overcome. The Children of Elves and Men were forged together like two metals alloyed by a mighty smith, and the stage was set for the arising of the Dún-Edain and the bliss and glory of Númenor.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #40
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Therefore not until the last, and not then except by the express command of Eru and by His power, was Melkor thrown utterly down and deprived for ever of all power to do or to undo.
So it was Eru, not the Valar, who choose when to act against Melkor.