Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 12:45 PM   #21
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, for me, my absolute favorite quote from the books is in my signature, the only direct quote from Sauron the Enemy [relayed by Pippin, however]...

I would have to disagree with Gollum that somehow no one quote "rings" out; however, unfortunately, I am not able to make out the rest of that posting, it being in some form of Orcish or something...

I was taken with many, many lines from the books, some of which have already been stated:

Gildor: "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."

'And he went on, and there was a yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor on his lap. He drew a deep breath. "Well, I'm back," he said.'

Gandalf: "I liked white better."

Gandalf: "...Go in peace! I do not say: do not weep; for not all tears are evil."

Saruman: 'Saruman looked round him at their hostile faces and smiled. "Kill him!" he mocked. "Kill him, if you think there are enough of you, my brave hobbits!" he drew himself up and stared at them darkly with his black eyes. "But do not think that when I lost all my goods Ilost all my power! Whoever strikes me shall be accursed. And if my blood stains the shire, it will wither and never again be healed."

Saruman: "You don't care what a beggar lacks, do you? For you have all you want, food and fine clothes, and the best weed for your pipes. Oh yes, I know! I know where it comes from. You would not give a pipeful to a beggar, would you?"

And again: '"One thief deserves another," said saruman, and turned his back on Merry, and kicked Wormtongue, and went away towards the wood.

Good quotes you posted as well, fellow Entmooters!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:47 PM   #22
andustar
Elven Warrior

go here and here (the older one) is all I can say to you

well, I don't have a favourite quote, personally. Or, if you want to be more accurate, too many to list, or even to remember. A lot of Gandalf's stuff is good, as well as ... well.... the whole book, really....
um. Yes. I shall leave you here, before I make an even bigger fool of myself
Old 01-03-2002, 04:43 PM   #23
gollum
Sapling

Gollum

All i am saying is next time u think of writing a thread mayb u cood put a lil thought into sumthing aand think of sum profound question to ask instead of writing a simple thread. In no way am i saying u shooodn't like quotes i am saying i find this a waste of entmooters time
deep roots r not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire is woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed the blade that is broken
the crownless again shall b king
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:44 PM   #24
gollum
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by andustar
go here and here (the older one) is all I can say to you

well, I don't have a favourite quote, personally. Or, if you want to be more accurate, too many to list, or even to remember. A lot of Gandalf's stuff is good, as well as ... well.... the whole book, really....
um. Yes. I shall leave you here, before I make an even bigger fool of myself

MY POINT EXACTLY
deep roots r not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire is woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed the blade that is broken
the crownless again shall b king
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:43 PM   #25
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Quote: "All i am saying is next time u think of writing a thread mayb u cood put a lil thought into sumthing aand think of sum profound question to ask instead of writing a simple thread. In no way am i saying u shooodn't like quotes i am saying i find this a waste of entmooters time"

HUH????? What the heck does this say?

Is there a web page out there somewhere that can translate this into REAL English? Is this some language of Mordor or something? Methinks this is a shining example of the failure of our [US] public school system...sorry, Gollum, you REALLY need a few classes in spelling and grammar. No offense.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-03-2002, 06:13 PM   #26
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*/Gets out some elvish rope.

This should fix him...
Old 01-03-2002, 07:05 PM   #27
Pailan
Elven Warrior

"It was Sam's first view of battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace-"

Oh the volumes I could write based on this quote alone. Perhaps the most introspective and heart felt moment in the whole triology.

Pailan

Last edited by Pailan : 01-03-2002 at 07:57 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:14 PM   #28
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

"The tree-killer, the tree-killer!" - Quickbeam, refering to Saruman.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:27 PM   #29
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good one, Pailan. Kind of goes back to Tolkien's introduction to modern warfare in the meatgrinder of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. He lost every one of his classmates except one. Hideously tragic.

That's an excellent one too, emplynx. Wish I'd listed that one as well.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:32 PM   #30
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hmmm, Wayfarer, maybe instead of Elvish rope we could flog him with a good Oxford dictionary instead....
Old 01-03-2002, 07:56 PM   #31
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Good one, Pailan. Kind of goes back to Tolkien's introduction to modern warfare in the meatgrinder of the Battle of the Somme in 1916. He lost every one of his classmates except one. Hideously tragic.
Thank you. I have decided to add it to my signature.
Truly it can be said there are no winners in a war, the amount of losses are just different.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:45 PM   #32
ChildofEru
Hobbit

Strider

we could always use a teleport spell to switch his mind with that of a trained monkey and see if that helps?
oh btw... im CardenIAntauraNauco's friend and new here to the forum.
hello to all out there
/me bows low to the mods and regulars
Old 01-03-2002, 09:24 PM   #33
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

'Frodo! Mr.Frodo,my dear!' cried Sam, tears almost blinding him "It's sam, I've come!"He half lifted his master and hugged him to his breast. Frodo opened his eyes.

Not necessarily my favorite quote but a part of the book I really like and this seems to be the climactic moment. Many others...Many of which you have already taken.

As to you Gollum:

Quote:
All i am saying is next time u think of writing a thread mayb u cood put a lil thought into sumthing aand think of sum profound question to ask instead of writing a simple thread. In no way am i saying u shooodn't like quotes i am saying i find this a waste of entmooters time
Like I said earlier, YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF POSTING OR NOT POSTING HERE, if you feel its a
Quote:
waste of entmooters time
then why waste your time here. Bropoups is right this is not a shorthand or careless typing type of forum. If this thread angers you because it is not profound then start one that is.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:29 PM   #34
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Hi, Child of Eru
You got here quick!

*IGNORE THIS POST AND CONTINUE WITH THREAD SUBJECT*
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:39 PM   #35
ChildofEru
Hobbit

its too late now i cant get back on subject!!!!!
/me slaps self
there now im back
i enjoyed the quote when saruman says he has broken light and become the Wizard of All Colors and Gandalf says "You should not break that which you cannot put back together."
Old 01-03-2002, 10:52 PM   #36
Lumina
Sapling

Quote:
Example of a "profound thread"?

I'm curious: is it just as contemptible to have a favourite soliloquy from Shakespeare?
Old 01-04-2002, 01:57 PM   #37
athelas
Enting

Some profound threads i think gollum will like: "What is Tom Bombadil?" "Do Balrogs have wings?" or "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Chill gollum, not everyone likes profound questions all the time.

Anyway, back to the thread. One of my favourite quotes is the 1 in my sig.
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:09 PM   #38
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the group, ChildofEru. And thanks for the endorsement, Carden!

And just an aside again, gollum: We ARE discussing the works of an Oxford professor, not some street rap poet, and Tolkien himself would probably roll over in his grave were your post ever "channeled" to him on "the other side". Sheesh. If you want to see a true waste of we Entmooters' time, look at your own doggerel-laced postings.

Sorry, back to the thread...
Old 01-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #39
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Thank all of you for chasing the obnoxious GOLLUM away. For some people I don't think logic works and you need good solid mocking.

NOW BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND
Old 01-05-2002, 10:27 AM   #40
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

"They are coming"
~Gandalf reading from the Book of Marzabul
"You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You canot pass."....."You cannot pass!"
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote