Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2003, 05:15 PM   #21
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm sad I can't play the piano. I can peck at notes, and learn how to play one handed melodies, but that's about it. I do play the alto saxaphone and clarinet though. Both useful in jazz (the later more in dixie land bands though).

I'm going to Cedar Rapids this Friday to perform. Jazz season has finally begun!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:28 PM   #22
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Woohoo! A fellow clarinetist as well!

Jazz clarinetists are in very short supply nowadays...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:09 AM   #23
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I don't really play jazz. I suppose you could call me classically trained, but I'd use that term loosely. I like ragtime, gospel, classical, or whatever. I just haven't had a chance to play jazz. I've been playing piano for close to a decade (gah, it's been that long?! ).

I would like to play trumpet in a Dixieland Combo though. I love that New Orleans dixieland sound.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #24
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I play clarinet in my school jazz band. I love the music, but playing the clarinet in it kinda stinks, becuase in all the songs we play theres only a few songs with clarinet parts. We usually end up playing trumpet parts, or not playing at all. I've been playing the tenor sax for a year, so I think I'm going to play that in jazz band next year instead of clarinet.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

Ask your band director to let you play some Pete Fountain.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"I've been playing the tenor sax for a year, so I think I'm going to play that in jazz band next year instead of clarinet."
Noooo, another defector!
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:06 AM   #27
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I have just found a wonderful CD. Playboy's Jazz After Dark. I know what you're thinking -- "A Playboy CD? How good can that be?" I thought the same thing. But I was wrong. It's a great 2 CD set with the first CD being nothing but instrumentals from the likes of Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, and others. The second CD is filled with vocal songs from Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall and a bunch of others.

I love this CD. It has re-ignited my love of jazz.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:14 AM   #28
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

My uncles a jazz musician in Montreal. He plays the trumpet. My grandpa is lso as jazz musician. He plays the piano. He once played with Frank Sinatra

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:20 AM   #29
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Playboy's Jazz After Dark.
Okay. So we all want to know what our dearly beloved lazy arse admin was doing browsing a playboy catalogue?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:50 AM   #30
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The articles, the articles!

Old 08-07-2003, 11:47 AM   #31
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Okay. So we all want to know what our dearly beloved lazy arse admin was doing browsing a playboy catalogue?
actually Playboy has been sponsering great jazz shows and compilations for decades now. it has nothing to do with naked girls. youve never heard of the Playboy Jazz Festival? Its pretty big time. Its been going on for like 25 years now and is one of the premier jazz shows in the country. I still have a tape from like the 1982 Playboy Jazz Festival in Philadelphia with Bill Cosby doing the intros. Its a great collection.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:03 PM   #32
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Um. Yes, Isidious, I have. *prods brain with a pointy stick*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:31 PM   #33
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

You see, I was looking for the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean in Wal-Mart and the Jazz section was right next to the soundtrack section. Then I saw a CD with a Playboy bunny logo on the front. So just because of the pure shock of seeing a Playboy bunny logo on a CD, I had to pick it up. Then I looked at it and saw that it seemed to be a good CD. So I bought it.

And that's how it happened. Honestly.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 PM   #34
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
You see, I was looking for the soundtrack to Pirates of the Caribbean in Wal-Mart and the Jazz section was right next to the soundtrack section. Then I saw a CD with a Playboy bunny logo on the front. So just because of the pure shock of seeing a Playboy bunny logo on a CD, I had to pick it up. Then I looked at it and saw that it seemed to be a good CD. So I bought it.

And that's how it happened. Honestly.
yah right, you were probably thinking, playboy logo = naked girls. Then you bought it, and that what really happened

Lemmings

Swron

Old 08-08-2003, 02:10 AM   #35
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Oh, lay off the guy... it's not like anybody with Internet access pays for nudie pictures anymore.

(On the other hand, not that many people pay for CDs, either...)

Old 08-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #36
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Oh, lay off the guy... it's not like anybody with Internet access pays for nudie pictures anymore.
what are you hinting at IP .

Lemmings

Swron

Old 12-23-2003, 04:56 PM   #37
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Jazz

Anything and everything to do with jazz! I started talking about it in the Classical Music thread, and Elfhelm had the good idea of starting its own thread - probably because I was leading everyone off topic.

This was my post about jazz:
Quote:
I just went to a great jazz concert called "Jazzy Nutcracker", by the Toronto Septet. It was awesome. The feature, a jazzed up Nutcracker, was so good, you would have thought Tcaicovsky wrote it for 4 saxaphones, jazz piano, drums, and upright bass. They also did Ravell. I think the two composers would have enjoyed the concert!
I should have mentioned that the saxaphone players also played bass clarinet, clarinet, alto flute, and flute.

Then we started talking about different jazz instruments. Bass clarinet was one, and jazz oboe another! My brother has played his oboe in a jazz performance, but I did not get to hear him.

Jazz is cool.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #38
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

gotta love swing! but i'm not into anything else in the jazz area....

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:16 PM   #39
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

jazz is petty cool. last feb. i went to Montreal and saw my uncle play. Also my granda plays jazz piano and he pnce played with Sinatra

Lemmings

Swron

Old 12-24-2003, 01:59 AM   #40
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I think I'll merge this with the other jazz thread that I seem to remember being around here... Later edit: merge successful.