Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2003, 11:37 PM   #21
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Posted by SGH
Well, bad news guys. Ben said NO! He said that there is no reason to move them to the archives.
Well, that is what happens when the people who call the shots are not true Silmarillion lovers.
In praise of Folly.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:48 PM   #22
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
He said that threads that aren't archived do not fall into the abyss.
My MAIN concern is not that it will "fall into the abyss", but rather that because it's not in the Archives, it could well be deleted during a future tidy-up. Did Ben give a reason for not wanting to archive this unique project? Would it take up too much space or something?

Last edited by Sheeana : 10-30-2003 at 12:14 AM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:59 PM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
My mine concern is not that it will "fall into the abyss", but rather that because it's not in the Archives, it could well be deleted during a future tidy-up. Did Ben give a reason for not wanting to archive this unique project? Would it take up too much space or something?
I can't really say that he gave a reason, other than it wasn't neccessary to archive it. He isn't a big talker you know. I asked about it, and he just didn't see a need to do it. I said "okay." I don't see what the problem is, It isn't like it is going to take up more bandwidth or anything. The project is long, but the threads and posts already exist, nomatter if it be here or in the archives. But, his is the final word.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:09 AM   #24
Maedhros
The Tall

The good thing is that the quality of the archives thread will be maintained. The quality of those threads is not in the same league as those of the Project.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:18 AM   #25
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
The good thing is that the quality of the archives thread will be maintained. The quality of those threads is not in the same league as those of the Project.
Exactly. Well spoken.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:56 PM   #26
azalea
Long lost mooter

Artanis: To answer your ques., I have been given threads when I've done searches that weren't listed on any of the pages in the forum (this has happened at least three times, but not very recently, so I can't remember what they were). If there is no abyss, then the only other thing I can think of is that they were deleted threads that somehow came up because they still exist somewhere, even thought they were taken out of the forum (they could POSSIBLY have been archival, but I don't think so -- next time it happens I'll check and let everyone know, for fun. I believe in the abyss ).
[Also, threads do disappear (like the first lines game in the General Lit. forum), but I think that's due to "cleaning out" threads.]

EDIT: I FOUND THE ABYSS!!
Out of curiousity, I did a search of the General Lit. forum for "first lines game." That didn't come up, so it must have been deleted, but a thread came up called "new game," and guess what? It isn't listed on either of the pages in General Lit.! And it isn't on any of the archive pages either! It is an old thread (2000), but it proves one thing: THE ABYSS EXISTS!!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:38 PM   #27
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I have always thought the abyss existed.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 10-31-2003, 01:01 AM   #28
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I recalll searching at another forum, which uses VBB, The search turn up, among other things, a post of mine from which the search term had earlier been edited out. Somewhere in the database for the post were former words which had been edited out, perhaps a reord of prior versions of the post.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:10 AM   #29
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
I recalll searching at another forum, which uses VBB, The search turn up, among other things, a post of mine from which the search term had earlier been edited out. Somewhere in the database for the post were former words which had been edited out, perhaps a reord of prior versions of the post.
That's actually pretty scary.

SGH, why not put up the sticky thread with the links right away? Is it possible to edit posts in a closed thread?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:05 PM   #30
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
That's actually pretty scary.

SGH, why not put up the sticky thread with the links right away? Is it possible to edit posts in a closed thread?
Well, that would mean having several stickys up while the project is still going on. A sticky index, the current chapter being discussed, the re-assignment sticky, and the assignment sticky. that's a lot.

To answer your question about editing in a closed thread: No, you can't. Only mods/admins can do that.

I have an idea. Until the project is finished, we can bump all the chapters back to the main page. I wonder if we'll get in trouble for that though, because that will bump current discussion down. What to do?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-01-2003, 10:26 AM   #31
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

If we were to do nothing untill all chapters were discussed and just let the discussed chapters slip from the main page to the next pages of the forum, would there be any danger that we'll lose some of the chapter-discussions? If not, I wouldn't bump all the chapter-discussion-threads.

I agree that putting up a seperate sticky with the chapters-links now would clog the Sil-forum with too much stickies. But I was thinking, the assignment thread has all the chapters in the first post, right? Why can't we edit that first post and put instead of chapter one a chapter one? We could gather all the links of the chapters already discussed there.

I'm sorry if this post sounds a little incoherent (went away til late yesterday. )
Old 11-01-2003, 11:41 AM   #32
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I like that, Earnil, if SGH would consent to do it, that is.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:09 PM   #33
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
If we were to do nothing untill all chapters were discussed and just let the discussed chapters slip from the main page to the next pages of the forum, would there be any danger that we'll lose some of the chapter-discussions? If not, I wouldn't bump all the chapter-discussion-threads.

I agree that putting up a seperate sticky with the chapters-links now would clog the Sil-forum with too much stickies. But I was thinking, the assignment thread has all the chapters in the first post, right? Why can't we edit that first post and put instead of chapter one a chapter one? We could gather all the links of the chapters already discussed there.

I'm sorry if this post sounds a little incoherent (went away til late yesterday. )
That sounds good to me. Get to work Earniel.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-02-2003, 06:29 AM   #34
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Well, he did say we could have the sticky, and we can make it like an index with each chapter title and then the link to the chapter. He said that threads that aren't archived do not fall into the abyss. He said there is no abyss. I have to agree with Sheaana here, I think the project was unique and worthy of being in the archives, more than all the stupid joke threads. Oh well, what's a mooter to do?
What's the problem with the stupid joke threads? I love them But I agree this project should be at hand in the future. The stick could be a good solution, but I wan't to think a bit if something better can be done.

BTW, sorry everybody, I've been absent from the moot again in the last weeks. Have been very busy and too tired even from mooting, though I've missed it a lot.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #35
Earniel

Quote:
That sounds good to me. Get to work Earniel.
I was wondering whether you were joking or not. Anyway, I had a little time so I've added all the links to the existing chapters in the Silmarillion Discussion Chapters Assignements-thread.

I hope Maedhros will forgive me for messing in his post. Now tell me I'm a good lil' 'mooter and give me a chocolate cookie.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #36
Artanis

Eärniel, you're my heroine.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #37
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Ypu are a good little mooter, and here's your chocolate cookie.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-02-2003, 06:20 PM   #38
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

*Adds an Oreo on his own* Yay, now if it stays a sticky, it won't disappear!
Old 11-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #39
Earniel

Yeay!

*disappears with cookies*

*crunching sounds*

Old 11-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #40
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I hope Maedhros will forgive me for messing in his post. Now tell me I'm a good lil' 'mooter and give me a chocolate cookie.
Good work, but it seems that you forgot the Ainulindalë and Valaquenta, but I have put their respective links.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.