FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 10:33 AM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Midnight.

Questioning mod's decisions is nowhere near as unheard of as you make out.
Try doing that at SF-Fandom and see what happens. I am not saying that it is unheard of to question the decisions made by admins and mod, but the rules on message boards across the net are pretty similiar, and it has been my experience that you may not question a staff members decision in open forum. Any objections are usually dealt with via email or private messages. Airing your grievances on the board only invites other members of the community to comment, which may result in flaring tempers leading to flame wars.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:04 AM   #22
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Try doing that at SF-Fandom and see what happens. I am not saying that it is unheard of to question the decisions made by admins and mod, but the rules on message boards across the net are pretty similiar, and it has been my experience that you may not question a staff members decision in open forum. Any objections are usually dealt with via email or private messages. Airing your grievances on the board only invites other members of the community to comment, which may result in flaring tempers leading to flame wars.
As I have previously stated on nearly every BBS I have ever posted on questioning mod's decisions has not only been allowed but in fact actively encouraged .

I invite you to take a look at the following forums:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com//forumd...r=14&SUBMIT=Go

http://www.trekbbs.com//forumdisplay...,+Suggestions+|AMP|+Feedback&number=13&DaysPrune=2&LastLogin=

http://www.trekbbs.com//forumdisplay...r=30&SUBMIT=Go

http://www.xsorbit3.com/users/LenaBe....cgi?board=qsf

http://midnight.proboards5.com/index.cgi?board=QSF

And even:

http://pub79.ezboard.com/ftrollkingdomfrm1

Ok so some of these BBSes don't have much going on in those forums but suffice to say they were created for a reason. The reason being that mods do in fact handle situations badly sometimes, like anyone else and need to be called on it.

Mod of Mirkwood forum at:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bmiddleearth99434

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Never but never buy a computer from TIME. If you want to know why please ask.

Andromeda fans check out:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com/
Old 05-24-2002, 11:16 AM   #23
Lady Midnight
Elven Warrior

Location: only after 11pm and in an altered state of conciousness
Oh and FTR I DID PM somebody. I recieved no response. Consequently I saw no option but to start this thread.

Mod of Mirkwood forum at:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bmiddleearth99434

Self Proclaimed Lady Of General Messages, Minx of the 'Moot and semi-retired Official Flirt Of The Slipstream, Discipula Lenta and Warrior Priestess of the Wayists. Queen of Dramatic Tension in many RPs.

In the process of setting up a new SF/Fantasy based fanzine. I want Fanfic, short stories, poetry, filks, reviews, artwork, anything you've got really but most of all IDEAS!!!!. You write it I'll take a look at it.

At the moment I can't pay for submissions but all contributors will recieve a complimentary copy and I am confident that I will be able to pay one day.

Please PM me if you have anything.

Never but never buy a computer from TIME. If you want to know why please ask.

Andromeda fans check out:

http://www.slipstreambbs.com/
Old 05-24-2002, 11:43 AM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Midnight
Oh and FTR I DID PM somebody. I recieved no response. Consequently I saw no option but to start this thread.
Just because you did not get a timely response to your PM, does not justify the starting of a new thread, that you knew there was an already existing problem with. That is clearly a defiance of authority. What you should have done after waiting an appropriate amount of time for a reply, was to PM another mod or admin. When you have a problem like this, you are not limited to who among the staff can deal with it. And it can in this way be brought more speedily to all the staffs attention and better solved off the board in private without anyones toes getting stepped on. I think the rest of the staff will agree with me when I say that we try very hard to work as a team.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:50 AM   #25
Darth Tater
The man

You're really starting to piss me off. If you had bothered to open your eyes for a second, look around, the rules about spam and advertising are quite clear. The search feature is also incredibly usefull. Just accept that you made a mistake and quit bitching about it. That's what's really getting on my nerves, the fact that you expect us to apologize for enforcing the rules of Entmoot! You don't like it, leave, I sure as hell won't miss someone who causes as many problems as you do in 2 days!
Old 05-24-2002, 02:55 PM   #26
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Firstly, you started a redundant thread and advertising in one. They are against the rules. I closed it. End of Story.

Your constant use of giving situations from other Message boards is irrelevant, every message board is different. Comparing us to other mods is irrelevant also.

Quote:
That's all well and good for you to say that NOW but at the time of posting either thread I wasn't aware that I'd broken even ONE rule, never mind two. No-one bothered to point that out to me...
Just because you don't know the rules doesn't mean you can be excused.I pointed out that the thread was redundant by giving a link to the existing thread. When you created a new thread about the same topic you knew you broke the rules the first time, we close threads for a reason, and shouldn't expect them to be started up again.

I read your PM Lady Midnight, I felt that I didn't need to reply to it, as it was clear why your thread was closed, true I could have replied if I wanted to, but I prefered to have fun in the other 'Newbie thread', so don't think the world must revolve around you.

As for an apology. I ain't in the mood to lie today.
Old 05-24-2002, 04:07 PM   #27
Ben
Retired Ent

I'm sorry for Tater's brusque comments. Maybe I'm just soft, but I believe in treating all the members with respect, regardless of what missteps they may have taken.

Btw, there is no guaranteed free speech here. The staff pay for everything, and allowing free advertising isn't what we're here for. Again, there are plenty of places to plug your site/zine/board... just not as an entire thread, and certainly not as two.

I think that what this episode illustrates is the need to finally implement anduin's idea of a Suggestions forum.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Old 05-24-2002, 04:46 PM   #28
Darth Tater
The man

And the fact that Lady Midnight has no respect for the rules.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #29
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

OMG. Can i just say something? I have been reading all of this and i think its disgusting. i mean please. people are dying in the world and your'e fighting overa thread!!!

Lady Midnight: I think its an easy mistake to make oncebut i do think it was made clear by CBG that there was another thread.And if that thread wasnt what you wanted, couldnt you have put your need for poetry, stories etc.. in your sig?

But also I'm going to defend her. I'd justlike to point out that in the rules it says:

"Don't insult people. If you are just joking around, make sure you include a smiley so that the person knows it; that person may interpret it as a personal attack."

This isalso known as 'flaming' which is also forbidden.

Tater, one post of yours : You're really starting to piss me off. If you had bothered to open your eyes for a second, look around, the rules about spam and advertising are quite clear. The search feature is also incredibly usefull. Just accept that you made a mistake and quit bitching about it. That's what's really getting on my nerves, the fact that you expect us to apologize for enforcing the rules of Entmoot! You don't like it, leave, I sure as hell won't miss someone who causes as many problems as you do in 2 days!

That is what i would class as a personal attack. No smilies to say your joking or anything. How can you expect Lady Midnight to stick strictly to the rules if you do not?

for all you pippin's out there.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:11 PM   #30
Ben
Retired Ent

Well, Tater's never been known for his tact.

We seem to have a minor disagreement within the administration about this issue. I believe that the members should be treated with courtesy, even if it seems obvious to us that a particular member is wrong. Tater does not share this view. Maybe if more people are offended by his remarks, he will stop. I predicted this scenario, that regular members unconnected to this small issue would be ticked off by his diatribe, and here's proof.

Strawberry, you're not really defending LM but disagreeing with Tater's attack. There's a difference. There's no question in my mind that LM is wrong, but imo by taking her bait Tater just validated her claims of administrative heavy-handedness.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Old 05-24-2002, 11:19 PM   #31
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Midnight

There is a reason why I rarely post here y'know.
No offence, but why do you come here at all if you don't get along with the mods? No one is making you come here. If you do come here, you are under the authority of the mods, if you don't want to do as they say, please don't come here. (Dang, I am sounding like Tater )
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

What did they promise you? Wine, women, and a planet?
Ever since I sold my sole to the mods, I work without reward.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:09 AM   #32
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder

Strawberry, you're not really defending LM but disagreeing with Tater's attack. There's a difference. There's no question in my mind that LM is wrong, but imo by taking her bait Tater just validated her claims of administrative heavy-handedness.
Ok ok. I'm sorry. Im just saying yes LM was wrong but so is darth tater. can we not call a truce. everyone has learnt a lesson. nobody is acheiving anything here. Tater isnt going to change his personality and LM isnt going to get her thread reopened. end of story surely?

for all you pippin's out there.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:52 AM   #33
Darth Tater
The man

Just one quick thing, I don't see much of a reason to show respect to someone who shows no respect to me.

Now, I think everything that needed to be said has been said. I'm gonna close this thread before it completely falls apart into a flame war, which I see the makings of already.
Closed Thread