Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2001, 08:41 AM   #21
Earendilyon

Re: Donaldson

The board named above (Kevin's Watch is the name btw) has now also discussion forums on other Donaldson writings, to wit the Mordant's Need and the Gap series.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:12 PM   #22
Fairy Starr

Hmm. Why do so many of you think that the Covenant books are so much like Tolkiens? I liked Tolkien but his writing is definitely a little dry. Donaldson does a lot more w/ developing his characters and letting you get involved with them as you read. I read both the 1rst and 2nd trilogy and I was very impressed w/ both of them and enjoyed them very much. I hope he does write a 3rd one.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:35 PM   #23
juntel

character development is different with both authors, of course...

but in many details, there are similarities, which of course may be due that both dig into much older tales already:

- ring of power
- "pyrotechnic" staves!
- the bad dude is quasi invisible, is after the ring, and lives in a "dark" mountain.
- ur-viles~=~orcs
- a long march of a fellowship to confront the bad dude

of course each of these have their differences in each story, but the similarities are nevertheless there...

and as you hinted at, we can be more attached to the characters than those little details... and you won't find a character like Covenant in LotR!

(Gandalf is not actually mirrored in the Covenant series - unless you consider Mhoram as the gandalf-like character, but I wouldn't do that)
Old 07-11-2001, 08:09 PM   #24
Earendilyon

last chronicles?

According to some ppl over at Kevinswatch.com is SRD planning to write a third series, called The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. How much of that is true, and whether it will ever be written, is SRD's secret.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:34 PM   #25
juntel

Re: last chronicles?

A few years ago, SRD denied he was on a 3rd series...

But of course, since then he might have changed his mind...
Old 07-15-2001, 06:39 AM   #26
Gez1

Re: last chronicles?

Why must every fantasy book be compared to Tolkien? I think that nobody will ever write like him but that doesn't mean that Fantasy is dead just because HE is Covenent is a modern day man (albeit one with unusual problems) thrown into a world he just can't understand. He tries to apply modern day ethics to a world that doesn't accept his views at all. I think of them as "What If" books. I liked all of them!
Old 09-02-2001, 11:14 PM   #27
ringbearer
Elf Lord

As some of you stated...I enjoyed the first series and got bored with the second. The thing I liked best about Covenant was the fact that he was from our world and each book would end with his returning. Also, that he was a leper in our world and not in the fantasy world...was a cool part of the story!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 07:43 AM   #28
juntel
Entmooter

well, he was still a leper when coming into the Land, but there was some kind of healing mud that would make it go away and give him back nerve sensitivity... which drove him mad, and was a "proof" for him that it was all a dream...

and if i remember correctly, in The Power That Preserves, his leprosy was still with him (not enough heartloam for healing).
Old 12-07-2001, 07:41 AM   #29
Elwen
Sapling

Do read Mordant's Need

Do read Mordant's Need, it's only 2 books long and is a great story. Starts with "The Mirror of her Dreams and goes on to "A Man Rides through". It's about a New York (i think) woman who is drawn into a fantasy world by a sweet but rather clumsy magician in the hope that she will be able to save his world. The characters are much more sympathetic than the lot in the Covernant or Gap series. Just a recomendation
Elwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 01:52 PM   #30
Putz0999
Sapling

I have read the Thomas Covenant series 8 or 9 times (all 6 of them). I put this series on my personal top 10 list.

Mr. Donaldson has a way of drawing the reader in and making us part of the story. The slaughter of the Giants is a heart wrenching bit of writing. Many authors can tell a tale, but few achieve the raw horror of this scene. I read this chapter to my 11 year old daughter and she burst into tears thinking about the anguish of the Giants. She has begun reading the series now.

The sandgorgon (Nom) is a particularly interesting critter too.

I have read all his other works also. I found the Gap series to be quite good.

I think he should NOT publish another Covenant trilogy. Let the story end instead of beating it to mush. Too much of a good thing is not always best.

Enjoy...

Putz
Putz0999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #31
Lenya
Elentári

Personally, I did not enjoy the series. I think it is because Thomas is not a very likable character and I feel he spoils the story. I do however believe that Donaldson did a good job with the landscapes and the other creatures.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #32
juntel
Entmooter

Well, Covenant isn't our typical hero: he doesn't want to fully 'play the game' in this fantasy world.
Not only doesn't he know how to use the power the people of the Land tell him he has, he also might not want to use it if he knew, since for him all this is a dangerous dream/illusion that gives him power, sensations, purpose, hope; whereas the REAL world (the one he and you and I live in) refuses him all of that.

There lies the 'fundamental question of ethics' he was confronted with by the old beggar before he fell unconscious and found himself into the Land.

So he refuses to help when he is asked to, rather than be the hero any fantasy novel would expect him to be.
And when he does try to help, he fumbles, with dire consequences for the Land.

Likeable? He is not supposed to be.
He's a rapist after all...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:26 AM   #33
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Woah.... it's a dinosaur 'mooter!

I understand what you're saying, Juntel, and yes, it should make the story more appealing to me because it's not the same-old-same-old trite fantasy hogwash, but I honestly can't stand the writing style, let alone the grumpy arse of a protagonist. Besides, any "original" aspects of the 'hero' are completely ruined by the sheer un-originality of the plot.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:27 AM   #34
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

*waves to juntel*

Hey! good to see you again!

*sees topic*

Sorry I have nothing to say on topic. Just couldn't help greeting an old friend.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #35
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

It should be known that I have a very, very broad tastes in literature and can enjoy pretty much anything, and at any given time I could probably think up a dozen different suggestions if you asked me. I have quite a long list of of books which I have enjoyed and think other people would enjoy as well. Stephen R. Donaldson, however, is not on that list.

I also have a very, very, very short blacklist of authors which I refuse to touch and denounce to others whenever they are brought up. That is the list Donaldson gets put on.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #36
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*agrees with wayfarer*

*wonders if hell is freezing over*
Old 11-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #37
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No you don't. I forbid it.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:43 PM   #38
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hmmm.... I am torn between the sheer pig-headed delight in disobeying your command, and concern that if I *did* agree with you it might make a permanent tear in the time-space continuum... Hmmm.... decisions....
Old 11-16-2004, 07:07 PM   #39
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Meh. It's not like the time-space continuium hasn't been broken before. Besides, a tear in time-space can be abused to do all sorts of fun stuff.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*BoP reaches for the mind-bleach*

There's just some things that shouldn't even be considered, shannon, and that might be one of 'em.... Reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant might be the other.