Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So is anyone else weirded out/mildy amused by this whole Pope as Rock Star phenomenon? Whats with all the nuns snapping cell phone shots and little kids trying to high five him at Yankee Stadium? And some of the screaming and swooning in DC and NY has been almost Beatlesque. Is this how it should be? I must say this is the first time Ive seen devout Catholics as groupies... But really theres no difference from the very same reaction I saw among Dead Heads when Jerry Garcia would appear.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Rexy, did you completely miss everything that was ever connected to John Paul II (of blessed memory)? HE was the rock star!

I agree, Curu. Some of the articles appear to be decidedly...absurd. Like the Catholic College one. Apparently, every member of the staff, faculty, and student body has to be a devout and practicing Catholic...yeah......apparently there has been and never will be a Catholic college....

EDIT: P. S. It is considered proper etiquette for women to wear headveils in papal audiences; I haven't heard the black thing, but makes sense. Even Queen Elizabeth II did both.

Two heads of Church and State:

EDIT AGAIN: Looks like LaBu has done it in the past:

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 04-21-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Rexy, did you completely miss everything that was ever connected to John Paul II (of blessed memory)? HE was the rock star!
Oh I know he was incredibly popular but I don’t really remember his previous visits frankly and this was the first one that was so in my face. I witnessed the subway fill with clueless but quite excited Catholics of all shapes and ages and colors including nuns bubbling with excitement as if they were going to see a concert and priests acting like boobs pushing people out of the way so they can be first onto subway trains. I saw sorority sisters at Catholic University spell out his full name and title on their chests as a tribute! Id never seen the tittering and swooning factor before. It seems so odd. And you saw it from the highest ranks not just the common peasants. Seeing old clips of John Paul amid cheering crowds in Poland and South America didn’t garner the same feelings.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-22-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote